News   Jul 12, 2024
 969     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 843     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

I post this change some weeks ago for various platforms.

Not sure if every shelter received the cross bracing as today, but this shelter had the centre post remove and move north or south depending on the direction of the shot. Look closely at the photo and you will see this. Going from memory as to what I saw some weeks ago, the bracing only took place at some shelters that had the centre column move.

Both columns on either side have a tube beam anchor to the top of them that spans between the 2 columns supporting the relocated post.

I forgot to asked this question at TTC meeting why this change and why only a few of them.

The only thing I can come up with at this time for the change is due to the new cars and the location where wheelchair will be able to get on. This gives a greater opening/space for wheelchairs as well strollers.

There is no plan that I know of to replace these shelters when the new cars show up.

All columns have a small foot long channel bolted to them and the their footing also.

Not sure if every shelter received the cross bracing as today

Some of them have been left as is (the ones where no column has been taken out). I'm assuming it has to do with having an unobstructed space for wheelchair boarding, as you suggest, in which case I guess they've only done it when the shelter is positioned such that it lines up with the accessible streetcar door.

As of this morning Nov 9 they are reopening the closed vehicle lanes on Spadina beteen King and Front both directions.

As I watched them jackhammer out all the old concrete and then encase the new tracks in concrete I started thinking is this the best way of doing things?

Wouldnt' it be easier just to cover them in paving stones or asphalt so when it comes time to change the tracks again in another 15 - 20 years they don't have to spend 6 months ripping it up?

I'm not an expert in these matters so just a question.

Also, drum118 might have been aluding to this, but I noticed on Spadina south of Fort York/Bremner Blvd section on the hill down to the Garndiner they are drilling these huge columns down into the ground. Almost like the kind they do around the edge of a new condo construction. What would they need to be sinking into the ground that deep in the middle of a streetcar right of way?

As of this morning Nov 9 they are reopening the closed vehicle lanes on Spadina beteen King and Front both directions.

As I watched them jackhammer out all the old concrete and then encase the new tracks in concrete I started thinking is this the best way of doing things?

Wouldnt' it be easier just to cover them in paving stones or asphalt so when it comes time to change the tracks again in another 15 - 20 years they don't have to spend 6 months ripping it up?

I'm not an expert in these matters so just a question.

Also, drum118 might have been aluding to this, but I noticed on Spadina south of Fort York/Bremner Blvd section on the hill down to the Garndiner they are drilling these huge columns down into the ground. Almost like the kind they do around the edge of a new condo construction. What would they need to be sinking into the ground that deep in the middle of a streetcar right of way?

I believe that part of Spadina is essentially a bridge built on infill. They are most likely tying the tracks into the bedrock below the infill to prevent them from shifting/sinking.

Cool. Did not know that.

Spadina before CityPlace (You can see Spadina in the middle of the picture, going from the left side of that shot to the right):

Spadina_CN_Yard_May_1980.jpg

Spadina is still built at the same height as you can see in the picture above. The railway lines below are essentially the parking garages of most of our buildings today. There was also a bridge right next to Lakeshore blvd. that carried railway traffic over Spadina right where the Southern Linear Park sits today. It's too bad they didn't keep that bridge for pedestrian use. Would've came in handy.

The Sussex intersection is done. What's left to do before the re-opening next Monday?

At the moment they're fixing up the track just south of Harbord (no new rails, but new concrete and rubber sleeves). Looks like it should be done in a couple of days.

I've seen crews putting a fresh coat of paint on the shelters, even on the parts that weren't modified, which is nice.

Spadina before CityPlace (You can see Spadina in the middle of the picture, going from the left side of that shot to the right):

Spadina is still built at the same height as you can see in the picture above. The railway lines below are essentially the parking garages of most of our buildings today. There was also a bridge right next to Lakeshore blvd. that carried railway traffic over Spadina right where the Southern Linear Park sits today. It's too bad they didn't keep that bridge for pedestrian use. Would've came in handy.

:confused: ... are you saying they never removed the bridge and instead infilled the area around it?

So apparently streetcar service will resume 5am tomorrow (Sunday). I took a walk down the street this afternoon and everything looks ready south of College; the ROW has been swept clean and almost all the work has been done.

The only spot between College and King where I saw work still happening was at Queen, where someone was cutting grooves into the concrete at the entrance to the southbound platform. They're doing this at every platform entrance, and painting a yellow square on the ground; it seems like a poor-man's attempt at tactile paving.

North of College there was still a lot of work happening at Sussex; yesterday half of the northbound shelter was removed, and today they're putting up a railing in its place. Since it's such a little-used stop, I guess they figured they could just remove part of the shelter rather than fussing around with taking out a pillar and reinforcing the roof like they've done elsewhere.

As of this afternoon, the ROW north of Willcocks had not been cleaned and the tracks were caked full of leaves and mud; presumably this will be cleaned before tomorrow morning if service is really resuming.

A couple of photos from today.

Northbound shelter at Sussex, newly chopped in half, with railing being installed in its place:
sussexshelter.jpg

Yellow paint and grooves at a platform entrance:
YellowGood.jpg

At some of the stops, this was done somewhat differently -- they scraped the concrete to make it rough and then painted it pale yellow. It looks absolutely horrible.
YellowBad.jpg

Attachments

• sussexshelter.jpg
    sussexshelter.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 507
  • YellowBad.jpg
    YellowBad.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 480
  • YellowGood.jpg
    YellowGood.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 474
Just saw car 4121 do the first test run north of College and into the subway portal (2:30am), accompanied by a large entourage of TTC vehicles and staff.

4121_Nov17_2012.jpg

Is it normal for the wheels to get all sparky on new track? Looked pretty cool!

Attachments

• 4121_Nov17_2012.jpg
    4121_Nov17_2012.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 482
Is it normal for the wheels to get all sparky on new track? Looked pretty cool!

Yup. If the tracks are dirty (i.e. rusted over from lack of use.) What a lot of people don't realize is the overhead wire is only one side of the electrical circuit that the current that powers the streetcars flows through, the other side (which completes the circuit) are the tracks. One is the positive (the overhead wire) the other is the ground (the tracks.) the electricity flows from the wire through the car and out the ground. That's why you're seeing the sparking.

Any electricians on this thread can probably explain this more technically, but that's basically it.

Last edited:
The new curbs along the ROW on the South part of Spadina are extremely high. Looks like no one will be able to mount the curbs anymore when exiting from the Gardiner without doing some serious damage to the underside of their vehicles. I doubt fire trucks will be mounting them either.

BTW... Does anyone know when streetcars will be running south of King again? Earlier information said they would return on December 20th, but all I can find today is May 2013. I hope its not May!

Back