News   Jul 30, 2024
 961     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 656     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

So Metrolinx says ST is part of GO network. TTC says ST is part of TTC network. Interesting. Maybe their respective CEO's can fight to the death to see who will operate it ;)

But seriously, assuming this tweet is legitimate (I have my doubts), this will dramatically change how SmartTrack will work once its up and running. It should mean that 100% fare integration is a given (unless TTC will make this a premium service), we might be seeing vehicles and stations that are owned by TTC and closer in design to that of our subways, and it means that for the first time, the TTC will be a mainland rail operator.

Exciting developments.

She has seemingly contradictory tweets:

First, she says:
"A TTC fare is one option being studied with SmartTrack, says Livey."
and then:
"SmartTrack would be part of the TTC network not like GO, says TTC's Stambler."

The question is, if ST would be part of the TTC network, why would a "TTC fare" be a mere option for consideration at this point? If TTC would be operating this thing, then they'd be collecting fares and all fares would be TTC fare.

Edit: Perhaps by "TTC fare" she meant current TTC pricing, while anything else would be some kind of premium pricing.

So Metrolinx says ST is part of GO network. TTC says ST is part of TTC network. Interesting. Maybe their respective CEO's can fight to the death to see who will operate it ;)

But seriously, assuming this tweet is legitimate (I have my doubts), this will dramatically change how SmartTrack will work once its up and running. It should mean that 100% fare integration is a given (unless TTC will make this a premium service), we might be seeing vehicles and stations that are owned by TTC and closer in design to that of our subways, and it means that for the first time, the TTC will be a mainland rail operator.

Exciting developments.

Of course it is legit....she is a Star reporter live tweeting what she is hearing at the meeting.....how could it not be legit?

Reactions: BMO
Of course it is legit....she is a Star reporter live tweeting what she is hearing at the meeting.....how could it not be legit?

When I posted that I wasn't sure of the context of the tweet and thought the might've misheard something, since this is contrary to what City staff and Metrolinx have told us. I'm now more certain now that I know the context.

My understanding is that it will be operated by Metrolinx but work under the TTC fare structure - much like the Eglinton Crosstown.

My understanding is that it will be operated by Metrolinx but work under the TTC fare structure - much like the Eglinton Crosstown.
That haven't even started much into the studies yet. No one knows that the fare structure is, or who will operate. Metrolinx doesn't operate much at all ... Bombardier operates the GO Trains. TTC will operate the Metrolinx Eglinton line.

What Steve Munro had to say about this:

@SwanBoatSteve: . @c_9 @TessKalinowski TTC is delusional if it thinks it will operate trains on Metrolinx track.

That's what I think, what makes John Tory and the TTC think that the province and Metrolinx will just hand over tracks that they own for them to operate their Smart Track trains on them?

That's what Eglinton Crosstown & Finch LRT are. TTC operating trains on Metrolinx track :p

Heh, exactly my thoughts.

I assume Steve meant that the TTC it nuts if they think they'll be operating on these rail corridors while sharing the track with other services (GO, UPX, CN, etc...).

More than anything, I'm surprised that the TTC would even want to operate here. It's quite a departure from their typical operating environment.

That's what Eglinton Crosstown & Finch LRT are. TTC operating trains on Metrolinx track :p
Come on, you are talking Apple and oranges here

Heh, exactly my thoughts.

I assume Steve meant that the TTC it nuts if they think they'll be operating on these rail corridors while sharing the track with other services (GO, UPX, CN, etc...).

More than anything, I'm surprised that the TTC would even want to operate here. It's quite a departure from their typical operating environment.
Since this on Metrolinx rail system, you could do the Tram-Train thing where LRT can run on both.

Since there no CP & CN trains to worry about other than VIA few trains, doing a tram-train system is the way to go. But you are dealing with GO Transit thinking who can only see big rail cars as the only option for the system as a whole.

Its also trying to save Tory Plan which is a pie in the sky with both TTC & GO looking through rosy glasses.

Since there no CP & CN trains to worry about other than VIA few trains, doing a tram-train system is the way to go. But you are dealing with GO Transit thinking who can only see big rail cars as the only option for the system as a whole.
Relevant context: Positive Train Control Thread.

Specific quote of interest: from this document of Transport Canada flexibility on non-FRA trainsets (e.g. trains resembling LRTs and Trams running on GO rail):

Metrolinx said:
Transport Canada has recently indicated that they may be more flexible with the FRA structural strength requirements, which might open opportunities for GO to study a broader range of European and Asian EMUs and DMUs. Specifically, they stated their intent to require new GO vehicles to either:
 Meet FRA structure strength and crash worthiness for passenger cars, or
 Maintain temporal separation from freight and heavy rail passenger traffic, or
 Operate under some form of Positive Train Control (PTC) signalling system

Metrolinx has been gradually working on the latter two (along with grade separations), and eventually the day may arrive where we see lighter rail trains running on parts of the GO network, including the very possibility of tram-trains for some routes.

Last edited:

Back