News   Jul 30, 2024
 879     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 641     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

During off-peak, true. But at peak - when the peak direction bilevels may be running on 10-15 minute headways, can you insert an all-stops run between the bilevels and not have the bilevels catching up? And what will the headway of these all-stops be at rush hour to match the predicted ridership? (If the all-stops ridership isn't there, there is no business case to build it at all.)

At rush hour, the third track will be tied up with runarounds for the "peak" direction trains, which greatly limits your ability to use it to run turnbacks or runarounds in the counter-peak direction.

Can I ask - when you say 'we', are you expressing a GO viewpoint, or are you using the term to include "us" sidewalk observers?

What objective evidence is there that GO is committed to adding the fourth track? Has the money been committed? Is there a project plan?

If GO believes it is short of equipment for off peak, let me look up the GPS coordinates of the Bathurst and Don yards for them. Saying there are no trains to run a proper off-peak service suggests GO simply doesn't know how to manage its fleet. Outside of rush hour, there are plenty of trains sitting idle.

Similarly, re not having crews - we should not accept this excuse. This service has been promised for five years. That's more than enough time to staff up. Go has promised a much larger increase in the number of trains per week going forward. If we accept this explanation - How many crews can actually be added annually? Does this jive with the promise? Either GO figures out how to ramp up to meet the promise, or they should admit the promise is a fantasy. The twain needs to meet.

- Paul

GO viewpoint.

The 4th track is discussed in the GO Big Move as being necessary for RER.

I won't discuss incompetence of Metrolinx, just stating that the trackage is not the issue for not having all day trains on Kitchener Line right now. For whatever reason you want to come up with, the issue is not the trackage. Its enough to support AD2W to Bramalea. Not to Mount Pleasant as its not tripled yet.

Presentation from the Sept 22 Metrolinx board meeting, includes some new details on RER
Glancing at today's date, it is 3:01pm ET on September 18th, 2015 A.D.

Did Metrolinx install a flux capacitor in one of their GO Train locomotives? Sections of Lakeshore West rail speed limits does support up to 90mph, and I've been on a GO Train going 88mph when it was running late.

Glancing at today's date, it is 3:01pm ET on September 18th, 2015 A.D.

Did Metrolinx install a flux capacitor in one of their GO Train locomotives? Sections of Lakeshore West rail speed limits does support up to 90mph, and I've been on a GO Train going 88mph when it was running late.

Metrolinx, like the TTC, posts presentations prepared for upcoming board meetings a few business days in advance.

Many municipalities and their agencies do similar.

Yes, the only error they have made is using "from" instead of "for" or "to"...it only becomes "from" the board meeting after it has already happened.

I am publishing board reports today for our organization and the board meeting is a few weeks away.

Page 10: so far, only 2-tracking of the Stouffville line is on the agenda. No third track.

On the positive note, grade separation at the Scarborough Junction is mentioned.

Looking at the document it looks like they're not planning to electrify Milton or Richmond Hill lines?

Looking at the document it looks like they're not planning to electrify Milton or Richmond Hill lines?

Not in the initial rollout. Richmond Hill has the issue with the lower half of the line. Also, and this is just personal speculation, they're holding back on that to see what happens with the Yonge Relief Line study, since whatever solution is chosen for that is very much intertwined with RH GO. As for Milton, it's because of CP. If it was a Metrolinx-owned corridor like Barrie or Stouffville, they could do a lot more with it.

CN probably not wild about electrifying their trackage on Richmond Hill line/Bala sub, plus grade sep at Doncaster Diamond, plus the need for flood proofing nearer Union.

Why are the freight companies against electrification?

It can interfere with triple stacks (cars often ship that way), wide loads, and a couple other practices that are uncommon but still occur occasionally.

Metrolinx actually cited the reasons in a recent document. I couldn't tell you which one but I found it via this forum.

upload_2015-9-28_15-6-7.png

upload_2015-9-28_15-5-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-28_15-5-30.png
    upload_2015-9-28_15-5-30.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 456
  • upload_2015-9-28_15-6-7.png
    upload_2015-9-28_15-6-7.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 422

Back