News   Jul 19, 2024
 531     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 829     2 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I should have referenced my statement to another statement made that I agreed to what they were saying. copied and pasted below

"Never in my life have I seen anything in Toronto ever be projected to cost so much. And this is just one small part of the line"

It's an 8 km spur that could cost nearly $8 Billion. That's nearly $1 Billion/km, isn't it? I've never seen something in Toronto cost that much. Typical subways are less than half that cost

It's an 8 km spur that could cost nearly $8 Billion. That's nearly $1 Billion/km, isn't it? I've never seen something in Toronto cost that much. Typical subways are less than half that cost

The crazy thing to think about is that New York's Second Avenue line is costing $1.7 Billion/km, and that's under a dense and aging city. $1 billion/km out in Toronto's suburbs would be completely ridiculous.

Really makes me question the accuracy of that cost estimate for the Western spur of Smart Track.

The crazy thing to think about is that New York's Second Avenue line is costing $1.7 Billion/km, and that's under a dense and aging city. $1 billion/km out in Toronto's suburbs would be completely ridiculous.

Really makes me question the accuracy of that cost estimate for the Western spur of Smart Track.

Underneath a corridor that is largely vacant and could be done using cut and cover, no less.

Isn't the problem not that the gap is small bu that unless you live right on top of GO station and work right on top of another one that you probably need both of those passes to get around.....if you are a committed transit user (either by choice or necessity) in Toronto you probably have the TTC pass....but adding the GO pass also is a real stretch?

It's the cost versus added benefit, and not affordability per se, that drives this, I suspect.

I know plenty of people who work at College/University and their commute involves both TTC and GO, so they pay both fares. Thanks to fare integration, they may even use Presto to ride transit at the outer end of their trip, for a very low added fare. These folks mostly live in the 905 and their real decision is whether to use transit (accepting its overall cost) or drive downtown. People will pay a substantial amount to not have to get on our expressways.

In contrast, I don't see many people using GO from Kipling to Union in preference to the Subway. Plenty of people can afford both fares, but the time saved doesn't strike them as justifying the expense ....especially since Milton GO trains are getting as crowded as the Subway.

Curiously, the number using GO at Bloor on the Weston line are larger. I suspect these folks are walking at both ends, hence not paying a TTC fare - whereas walking to Kipling isn't an option for many out that way.

- Paul

So the heavy rail rail options for Eglinton not only cost a magnitude more than an LRT but also has less ridership...What a fail
The northern alignment does have more new riders in both 2031 and 2041, and more total ridership in 2041.

Where are you getting $8 billion for 8 km from? The Eglinton alignments range from $2.7 billion to $5.8 billion for the 9 km from Mount Dennis to Renforth Gateway (probably closer to 10 km if you include the proposed curves at Mount Dennis and tail tracks). Even the most expensive is under $650 million per kilometre, and the cheapest is $300 million per kilometre. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Isn't the problem not that the gap is small bu that unless you live right on top of GO station and work right on top of another one that you probably need both of those passes to get around.....if you are a committed transit user (either by choice or necessity) in Toronto you probably have the TTC pass....but adding the GO pass also is a real stretch?

Exactly.

Metrolinx and TTC are there to run the transit systems but that doesn't give them the right to dictate how you use the system.

If it's A to B on transit, it's none of their business how you decide to get there. Whether based on zones, distance, or regional doesn't matter..............the cost of getting there shouldn't be at all effected by the choice of which technology to use.
Whether you decide to get to your destination on standard rail gauge, third rail, LRT tracks, legacy tracks, LIM rail or just good old fashioned pavement shouldn't make any difference.

Seriously. Charging more to ride standard rail GO and slightly less for RER tracks than third rail is just as stupid as charging more for LIM tracks and LRT tracks, that legacy streetcar tracks. When you get right down to the basics that is how stupid the fare structure is and will become.

Metrolinx & the TTC should set the fares for getting from A to B but leave the choice of how they get there to the riders themselves.

The northern alignment does have more new riders in both 2031 and 2041, and more total ridership in 2041.

Where are you getting $8 billion for 8 km from? The Eglinton alignments range from $2.7 billion to $5.8 billion for the 9 km from Mount Dennis to Renforth Gateway (probably closer to 10 km if you include the proposed curves at Mount Dennis and tail tracks). Even the most expensive is under $650 million per kilometre, and the cheapest is $300 million per kilometre. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

From Oliver Moore:

Final estimates for W. spur have come in even higher than I was told in Nov. Range from $3.6B to $7.7B. The latter for Eglinton. #topoli

Admittedly, I haven't taken a look at the Western Spur report myself, so I'm just taking his word for it.

Exactly.

Metrolinx and TTC are there to run the transit systems but that doesn't give them the right to dictate how you use the system.

If it's A to B on transit, it's none of their business how you decide to get there. Whether based on zones, distance, or regional doesn't matter..............the cost of getting there shouldn't be at all effected by the choice of which technology to use.
Whether you decide to get to your destination on standard rail gauge, third rail, LRT tracks, legacy tracks, LIM rail or just good old fashioned pavement shouldn't make any difference.

Seriously. Charging more to ride standard rail GO and slightly less for RER tracks than third rail is just as stupid as charging more for LIM tracks and LRT tracks, that legacy streetcar tracks. When you get right down to the basics that is how stupid the fare structure is and will become.

Metrolinx & the TTC should set the fares for getting from A to B but leave the choice of how they get there to the riders themselves.

I'm curious about how much it costs to move each passenger on GO. If there's a big disparity between GO and TTC, that's a legitimate reason not to have fare parity amongst the two platforms.

Did your read the feasibility study?

I believe the diameter of the tunnel can have a substantial effect on cost. It would be a big factor bere, because of bi-level EMU

Not necessarily - especially when there are operating cost, capacity and demand differences. Also there is the issue of the willingness of riders to trade time with cost (as they also do across mode).

The question to me isn't that they have no business in shaping how you choose to get from point A to B, but whether there are ways to jig the system to benefit as many as possible in terms of travel cost and time.

AoD

Last edited:
From Oliver Moore:

Final estimates for W. spur have come in even higher than I was told in Nov. Range from $3.6B to $7.7B. The latter for Eglinton. #topoli

Admittedly, I haven't taken a look at the Western Spur report myself.
There's a note that the $2.7 to $5.8 billion cost doesn't include $1 to $2 billion for modifications to the Georgetown Sub between Union and St. Clair plus rollling stock, maintenance, storage, etc.... so perhaps that's where the $7.7 billion came from ... but that's not the Eglinton cost, which at most would only be a fraction of that $1 to $2 billion.

Yes, absolutely true also. The lack of fare integration and the lack of service integration are, in some ways, mutually re-enforcing.

In contrast, I don't see many people using GO from Kipling to Union in preference to the Subway. Plenty of people can afford both fares, but the time saved doesn't strike them as justifying the expense ....especially since Milton GO trains are getting as crowded as the Subway.

I can't speak for the specifics of that line. However, I can say that there is always a seat on LSE during rush hour, and personally I would pay the difference for the comfort and quiet, and available cell service, and lack of transfer at Y/B, even if the subway were faster :)

I can't speak for the specifics of that line. However, I can say that there is always a seat on LSE during rush hour, and personally I would pay the difference for the comfort and quiet, and available cell service, and lack of transfer at Y/B, even if the subway were faster :)

The transfer during the morning rush at Kipling is pretty much unidirectional - from GO to subway. There is little rationale to use GO unless your destination is within walkable distance to Union - and worse, the lack of frequent service imposes time constraints on your schedule. Why would anyone chose that when you are at a subway terminus with pretty much guaranteed seating, frequent service and competitive travel time?

AoD

Back