News   Jul 19, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.6K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 865     2 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Yes, and they can rest assured that they will be paying what they pay for the TTC at the time of Smart Track's opening. It may be $4 cash fare by then, it may be $1.80 for Mt. Dennis to Union, $3.00 from Mt. Dennis to Kennedy. All he is saying is the TTC's fare structure will apply to Smart Track. He just doesn't want to speculate on what that fare structure will look like in the future.

If anything, the conference was the first time Tory has acknowledged that there are talks to move to a regional fare system. It could be fare by distance, zones, or the status quo. He mentioned that once Presto is fully implemented across the TTC, it will be time to explore those other options. That news alone is huge!

Well, but here is the rub - the expectation out there is having a non-zoned fare as a comparator. I don't think the expectation of the public is having to pay more to travel the same distance as they do now (beyond TTC fare increases, which zoned fare isn't per se).

AoD

Well, but here is the rub - the expectation out there is having a non-zoned fare as a comparator.

AoD

And if a non-zoned fare is what we have the days Smart Track opens, a non-zoned fare is what you will pay to use it.

You're expecting him to sell you a car in 7 years based on today's gas prices?

And if a non-zoned fare is what we have the days Smart Track opens, a non-zoned fare is what you will pay to use it.

You're expecting him to sell you a car in 7 years based on today's gas prices?

I don't expect anything, the riders on the other hand will make modal decisions based on fares, and they will also tare their expectations against the chief magistrate.

AoD

I don't believe that Tory understands fare integration any more than he understood civil engineering.

What he has likely been told is, "If you build this thing but only charge TTC fare, with transfer privileges to other TTC routes like we have today, it will cost $X to operate and only take in $Y." (His campaign pitch was simply to make it sound like he could deliver RER-like transit cheaper than RER can).

I do think he can subtract. Cost minus revenue equals shortfall that the City will have to make up....on his watch.

So now he's dancing. Would we expect otherwise?

- Paul

By the way, there are two separate issues here: 1) Will ST pricing be similar to TTC pricing, and 2) Will it cost an extra fare to transfer GO <-> TTC? Even if ST pricing is same as TTC ($3.25 or whatever), if it costs an extra $3.25 to transfer to TTC at Union then its still of limited value to displace existing line 1 traffic.

Screen shot 2016-01-19 at 12.05.39 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-19 at 12.05.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-19 at 12.05.39 PM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 667
The question is - do you think zoned fare can get rolled out before SmartTrack? I bet not. Its an even bigger political hot potato.
well but if highest ttc fares remains as is, but the shorter distances has fare reduction, the people who still pay $3.00 cannot get angry because fares are not going up for them. That's how you avoid this being a hot potatoe

We need to be careful with our language here, just so we know everyone is talking about the same thing.

Everywhere in the GTHA has some form of "fare integration". Him supporting fare integration isn't really saying anything.

The question is whether or not ST will be based on a TTC fare structure, or if ST will have a surcharge. Per Moore's tweet, it appears that he's backing away from his old position of TTC fares without surcharge.
why is it if it were DRL, running basically in same area except underground, it would be TTC fares. This makes no sense other than its GO tracks

Whether you call it fare integration or standard fare or whatever doesn't matter to the transit riders. All they want to know is if I am taking ST from Malvern to Union or Humber College to Union, will it cost me any more money.

RER and GO service increases will make little difference for Torontonians if the fares remain as expensive as they are.

If RER offered 5 minute frequency with more stations {especially in inner city} then ST isn't even needed but only if it doesn't cost anymore than it does with just getting a TTC ticket. Whether that is fare zone based, distance based , or the system they have now is irrelevant as long as it doesn't cost them any more money to take RER to get to their destination than it would if they were to take the TTC alone.

Projected ridership on the SmartTrack heavy rail corridor options is low compared to the LRT option.
o Projected boardings on the LRT in 2031 are estimated to be 39,500 during the AM Peak Period (total sum, both directions).
o The projected boardings on the LRT are almost twice that of the northern corridor alignments (19,500 AM Peak Period). 3
o Boardings on the LRT are more than three times higher than the Eglinton Corridor heavy rail alignments (9,500 AM Peak Period).

 Of the continuous heavy rail options, the northern corridor performs better than the Eglinton corridor, carrying 86,886 daily riders compared to 76,617 daily boardings for the Eglinton Corridor. However, Crosstown West attracts 105,331 daily boardings.

http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...Track Western Corridor Feasibility Review.pdf

Back