News   Jul 19, 2024
 803     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.6K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I'd still support combining the ECLRT with the SRT replacement IF they fix Eglinton East (eliminate stops, grade separate where possible)

??? Eglinton East is locked. It's been tendered for construction. No going back. Extensions are possible - though I haven't seen final Kennedy design.

I love how Gord Perks always tells it like it is.

Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 10.16.34 PM.png

Full article: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...stretch-of-mayor-john-torys-transit-plan.html

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 10.16.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-18 at 10.16.34 PM.png
    112 KB · Views: 525
I'd still support combining the ECLRT with the SRT replacement IF they fix Eglinton East (eliminate stops, grade separate where possible)

I think it's possible there might be quite a bit of resentment felt in Scarboro if we decide to beef up a Crosstown West extension to Sauga, all the while continuing with tram-style operation for Crosstown East. This would be particularly pronounced if SSE ends up getting canceled (which I wouldn't rule out).

I guess this leads me to an overall question: Let's say Tory wasn't supporting some line called "SmartTrack", but rather from day one said his priority is Stouffville RER and a heavily beefed up Crosstown West. Would people be supportive of that? Or would you rather we tackle other projects first?

I guess this leads me to an overall question: Let's say Tory wasn't supporting some line called "SmartTrack", but rather from day one said his priority is Stouffville RER and a heavily beefed up Crosstown West. Would people be supportive of that? Or would you rather we tackle other projects first?

That depends. Is he (hypothetically) still behind a Scarboro subway as well? And is he still saying that the Stouffville RER will remove the need for a Relief line?

Your hypothetical scenario is a step forward, but he won't get off the hot seat without providing a path forward on these.

- Paul

That depends. Is he (hypothetically) still behind a Scarboro subway as well? And is he still saying that the Stouffville RER will remove the need for a Relief line?

Your hypothetical scenario is a step forward, but he won't get off the hot seat without providing a path forward on these.

In this scenario everything is the same. So still supporting SSE, and still saying the RL is longer-term/15-yr project. I don't recall him saying ST will 'remove the need for a relief line', though he does vaguely use the term "relief" (which he has said for ST).

Can’t we ditch SmartTrack West and extend the Eglinton LRT already?
Matt Elliot

Seriously, I’m so tired of hearing about this thing. In the last week, we’ve learned that this section of tunnelled heavy rail that is supposed to run along Eglinton West — connecting SmartTrack from Mount Dennis to something called the “Missisauga Corporate Centre” — will cost up to $5 billion. Or at least that’s what a draft version of a consultant’s report says, according to transportation report Oliver Moore at the Globe & Mail.

That price tag would make it one of the most expensive transit projects in Toronto’s history. All for a service that will run through an area that most assuredly lacks the density to support the capital and operating costs of underground transit.

http://www.metronews.ca/views/toron...itch-smarttrack-west-extend-eglinton-lrt.html

The whole thing is an exercise in wasting time - recall how ST was sold on the basis that it, unlike DRL, will be ready in 7 years? So now we have something that can't be built to the original cost, doesn't really do what it was obliquely suggested to do, and overlaps with what the province is doing. Mr. Mayor, can we get real already and stop drawing lines on a map?

AoD

Wait, what does that mean? Does the extension become part of the SmartTrack project? Or does the SmartTrack line connect with the Eglinton LRT, meaning that SmartTrack vehicles have to be compatible with it?

I'd be happy with the LRT extended west along Eglinton and then the Smartrack continuing north of Eglinton using the UP Express stations until the airport win-win? I'm sure someone much smarter than I will chip in with the viability on frequencies and all that jazz.

I've always expected that Tory would really rebrand Smart Track so that it was effectively a 416 franchise of GO RER. Maybe a special fare in the 416 or just standard TTC fare and more stations. Don't know why he just can't jump on that.

Wait, what does that mean? Does the extension become part of the SmartTrack project? Or does the SmartTrack line connect with the Eglinton LRT, meaning that SmartTrack vehicles have to be compatible with it?

If I was Tory I would go with the Crosstown LRT extension for Eglinton west, but with enhanced grade separation (maybe cut & cover or elevate over major intersections, otherwise the LRT would be at grade). I would then brand this section as "SmartTrack West", "SmartTrack Lite", or make "SmartTrack" a transit plan made up of numerous transit projects, rather than a specific line.

If Tory decided to make "SmartTrack" a transit plan instead of a line, then using Eglinton West's ~$5 billion he could:
  • Extend Line 5 Crosstown LRT to Pearson with grade separations at major intersections ~$1.5 billion
  • Re-route traditional SmartTrack/GO RER along existing corridor to Woodbine (as province will pay for RER anyways) ~$ essentially free
  • Fund "Waterfront transit" - East Bayfront LRT, Waterfront West LRT ~ $1 billion
  • Fund some TTC capital/state of good repair projects ~1 billion
  • Then announce the Relief Line is his next major project to focus on, and commit some money as a starting point right off the bat ~$1.5 billion
I know this is all hypothetical but Tory could kill many birds with one stone and score some major political points if he is willing to change his vision to do something, well, more visionary.

If I was Tory I would go with the Crosstown LRT extension for Eglinton west, but with enhanced grade separation (maybe cut & cover or elevate over major intersections, otherwise the LRT would be at grade). I would then brand this section as "SmartTrack West", "SmartTrack Lite", or make "SmartTrack" a transit plan made up of numerous transit projects, rather than a specific line.

If Tory decided to make "SmartTrack" a transit plan instead of a line, then using Eglinton West's ~$5 billion he could:
  • Extend Line 5 Crosstown LRT to Pearson with grade separations at major intersections ~$1.5 billion
  • Re-route traditional SmartTrack/GO RER along existing corridor to Woodbine (as province will pay for RER anyways) ~$ essentially free
  • Fund "Waterfront transit" - East Bayfront LRT, Waterfront West LRT ~ $1 billion
  • Fund some TTC capital/state of good repair projects ~1 billion
  • Then announce the Relief Line is his next major project to focus on, and commit some money as a starting point right off the bat ~$1.5 billion
I know this is all hypothetical but Tory could kill many birds with one stone and score some major political points if he is willing to change his vision to do something, well, more visionary.

This is really sensible, but I'm not sure Tory's suburban base would support either an extension of the Crosstown LRT, any LRTs located in the traditional city, or a DRL. Transit planning in this city is dominated by suburban identity politics, not rational planning.

Back