News   Jul 19, 2024
 770     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Eglinton Flats is a floodplain. It was flooded by Hurricane Hazel (not the retired mayor). That is why Eglinton Avenue and Jane Street are on buttes, higher than the surrounded parkland. They're hoping the roads will be above the parkland that might get flooded during similar weather conditions.

The sports facilities in Eglinton Flats would also be in jeopardy.
eg_flats.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BMO

http://www.westonweb.ca/2015/11/04/what-smarttrack-looks-like/

Wheee! It's so hard to have a junction in tracks going north!

Wheee! You cannot tunnel or have a bridge over a junction!

sigh

The line can be elevated from when it turns north around the Black Creek overpass. It gets higher (what? Can I do this like the Airport? Crazy talk) and goes ABOVE the tracks at Eglinton (with a station connecting with the Crosstown) It is then high enough to cross Weston level with road (some expropriation of property may be required). It then becomes elevated again for the grade down to the Eglinton flats (overpass over Jane with a connection to a future Jane LRT).

We know how much the Airport spur cost....similar price, heights and length.

Talk about fear mongering. Saying that the only feasible one will cut through your neighbourhood to stoke the fire

Sorry, the whole Eglinton spur of ST is a useless idea. There's absolutely no reason to run heavy rail there. Just extend the LRT on the surface. It would be easy, cheap, and by far the most appropriate choice for a transit upgrade in the corridor. Luckily John Tory seems open to the idea.

BREAKING: New preliminary renderings released by the mayor's office provide a sneak peak of what Smart Track may look like. The mayor denies having seen these images, says they have not been finalized yet.
I had a really good laugh out of that one salsa. I'm actually considering e-mailing the mayors office with that picture to show them what Torontonians think of Tory's little dream.

I had a really good laugh out of that one salsa. I'm actually considering e-mailing the mayors office with that picture to show them what Torontonians think of Tory's little dream.

Yes please do. The mayor seems to be unaware of what his own consultants are saying, let alone what Torontonians think. Full disclosure: the image is from this tweet.

It's too bad the internet and environmental assessment wasn't around when the railways took over The Esplanade from a water's edge promenade to railway tracks.

2bBirdsEyeTO1850.jpg

A bird’s-eye view of Toronto about 1850, shortly before the railways arrived and when it was still a city of spires and sailings ships. The wide road near the lakefront was the Esplanade. Plans to turn it into a formal promenade were thwarted when the railway was run along it 1852 or 1853, effectively cutting off the city from the lake. See link.

The Eglinton Flats and the Eglinton linear parks could be taken over for use as a "railway", aka SmartTrack.

SmartTrack, as drawn on the envelope, goes down to Union Station. Union Station would be overcrowded and would require another transfer by most to actually reach their final destination. A Downtown Relief Line would be and should be within easy reach of most commuters' destination, closer to King or Queen Streets.

Awww, what the hell. Is this true? Where did Tory make this claim? I get that our mayors aren't really party affiliated, but am I wrong for thinking Tory is supported by the Liberals? Because I've always suspected the Prov does not want to build the DRL, so imo Tory's position would only add to the evidence of this.

Awww, what the hell. Is this true? Where did Tory make this claim? I get that our mayors aren't really party affiliated, but am I wrong for thinking Tory is supported by the Liberals? Because I've always suspected the Prov does not want to build the DRL, so imo Tory's position would only add to the evidence of this.

I don't get you reasoning. Rob Ford also didn't support the DRL, does he mean that he was supported by the Liberals?

SmartTrack, as drawn on the envelope, goes down to Union Station. Union Station would be overcrowded and would require another transfer by most to actually reach their final destination. A Downtown Relief Line would be and should be within easy reach of most commuters' destination, closer to King or Queen Streets.

The ultimate irony of Tory claiming that SmartTrack is a Relief Line is that SmartTrack futher necessitates a Relief Line.

If you take a look at the Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study, boarding at Union Station in 2041 will triple from 5,700 boardings, to 17,300 boardings. It's doubtful if the new Union Station can handle these loads. And that's WITHOUT SmartTrack. The real Relief Line is needed to lower crowding at Union.

Back