News   Jul 19, 2024
 889     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

SmartTrack is nothing more than drawing on a napkin, and it was flawed from the start. It should absolutely be a DRL vs SmartTrack debate, because morphing a flawed plan into something we need is setting up to fail.

Speaking of flawed ideas on napkins and other scraps of paper, here's something that supposedly inspired SmartTrack despite being roundly ignored and probably entirely unfeasible:

http://october27.ca/smarttrack/

Highlights:

It doesn’t make sense to just continue to use a train to travel from the airport to Union Station anymore.

The cost would be minimal considering the track is already installed.
Just electrify with a “third rail” and install stations where needed, as needed.

Yes, 'just', because it's not a hugely expensive and complex undertaking at all, right?

The TTC’s current fleet of subway cars are being replaced. Instead of throwing them away, they can be used on the Green Linx above ground subway line.

LOL, track gauge, what's that?

Byn6YvtCUAA0oac.jpg

George Sawision me @GSawision
Strachan @Metrolinx project needs to be covered with a park
9:32 AM - 28 Sep 2014

Um, how much does a park weigh?

Speaking of flawed ideas on napkins and other scraps of paper, here's something that supposedly inspired SmartTrack despite being roundly ignored and probably entirely unfeasible:

http://october27.ca/smarttrack/

The cost would be minimal considering the track is already installed.
Just electrify with a “third rail” and install stations where needed, as needed.
And pedestrians, cyclists, and cars all love driving over grade crossings with a third rail. No biggie, right?

I'm really wishing SmartTrack would just die at this point. It's a distraction from the actual issues we need to solve, like the DRL and East Bayfront LRT. The only worthwhile initiative that might come out of SmartTrack is an ECLRT extension

Thanks for the link. Now that I've read it, I like it even better.
Apologies for not getting back sooner, meant to reply, closed tab and then promptly forgot. :p
My question is still - you've suggested 10 trains per hour. That's one every 6 minutes on the Langstaff spur. And you've drawn RER extending northwards to Richmond Hill proper. Are you suggesting that some of those 10 trains just carry on northwards (ie RER and ST are fundamentally the same thing, with ST just being a turnback and a different end point downtown), or are you suggesting RER trains interleave between ST trains?
Yes, I believe when I made this proposal the idea was that SmartTrack and RER were the same thing, just with SmartTrack trains turning back at Langstaff. So 10 trains arrive at Langstaff, and only say 4 (one every 15 minutes) head north to Richmond Hill. I suppose there is room for adjustment in the plan to allow for an express GO-RER service that would bypass some of the stations in the 416 if so desired.

When this proposal was brought up last time, I remember many people engaging in discussion on how the frequency can work. I tried to search for it, I found this from January about the Malvern/Stouffville section of the line, but I don't think it is the discussion I am thinking about.

I'm still dubious that an RER train could interleave on a 6-minute headway without catching up with the preceding ST train.....even assuming the RER stops at a certain number of those stops. (RER should connect to the Sheppard line (the old Oriole stop moved northwards), the Eglinton LRT, and to the Bloor line, and Gerrard Square becomes the Jamaica-like transfer point if RER passengers want to transfer to ST...so it's not really an "express" train anyways).

I like that the ST as you've drawn it has a modest number of stops. That, and the more direct route, might mean no increased travel time for RER versus the current GO. Once you get to Gerrard Square, there would have to be a major junction (and more tracks) so overtaking trains aren't an issue beyond that point.
If the services are interleaved and there is an 'express' GO-RER service, then the stations would require an extra track to allow GO-RER service trains to bypass SmartTrack ones. You are right though, inevitably delays will slow down the express service, and there are still 4 stops within the 416 that RER trains will need to stop at. So it will not really be all that "express" anyway.

That is why I think I originally had SmartTrack and GO-RER service as the same, rather than interleaved. But even with the extra stops, as you say the service should still be much quicker than GO is currently due to electrification and a new direct route through Don Mills and DRL tunnels. Also much more frequent, which in transit planning is just as, if not more important.

One new issue to consider: If RER and ST are to share the same tracks, they may have different trains but still will have to share the same control system. One of the first lines for both ST and RER is the Weston Sub, which just had a new control system installed for UPX. Smallspy reports that this system has a PTC module already installed (but not turned on).....so the question becomes, does the UPX control system meet RER/ST's needs? If so, can it be the standard for all of ST/RER? If it can't, and it has to be torn out and replaced with something else.....what a colossal waste of money that was!

- Paul
Additionally, it remains to be seen how SmartTrack would meet the airport. I think UPX is still the only viable option for SmartTrack to reach Pearson, especially now that Metrolinx has come out as against the Eglinton spur.

RER-A, mentioned above, has 90-120 second train spacing and some of the trains are double deck MI 2N - 14 feet 2 inch height above rail and excluding catenary spacing. That is Line 1 *post new signalling* spacing and with enormous tunnels by Toronto standards.

Grade crossings with third rail are essentially legacy issues. There was a Metro North crash at a GC not long ago where the third rail punctured the train. There was also a lawsuit in the early 90s where a guy was killed at a CTA grade crossing (Lee v CTA). Hard to imagine any new third rail crossing being built in North America given the difficulty of persuading courts and juries that even a guy with 0.341 BAC can be sufficiently warned or else deemed at fault.

And also:

How would it really work?

Why is it such a big deal for Tory (aside from being able to put his name on a big project)?

Who really stands to benefit if it gets built?

I think it's important to look at SmartTrack in sections, because that's what it really is - three separate projects. Two and a half, really. One is a Crosstown West extension to Mississauga, one is Stouffville RER to Downtown Markham, and the third is an upgrade to a section of the Kitchener Line.

West of Union I don't know what the heck is really going on with ST, and I think few others do as well. However the real majority of "SmartTrack" is rather simple: it's RER between Union and Downtown Markham (which is underway as we speak in the form of double-tracking between Unionville and Scarb Junction). Because this area of TO is already slated to receive major transit upgrades in the form of an S(L)RT rebuild/extn to Malvern or a Line 2 extension to Sheppard/McCowan - not to mention that we have numerous unmet priorities across the board - it might seem a bit odd that we're pushing forward with Stouffville GO upgrades so quickly. Regardless, Metrolinx hopes that by 2023 Stouffville GO can see 5.8M riders/yr (approx 18.5k avg/wkday) on the Stouffville line. *Though no doubt a DRL would eat into that number substantially, as is evident from YRNS.

But in my opinion one of the ironies is that there's a view afoot that a Stouffville GO upgrade can act as a Yonge Relief Line (which is a prerequisite for the delayed Yonge extn to Hwy 7). So I think the line of thinking is that if we fast-track spending x $Billions (how much I'm not sure) bringing major expansion to Markham in the form of Stouffville RER, we can subsequently fast-track another major expansion to another area of Markham in the form of a Line 1 extension.

I'm not sure why Tory is so keen on pushing the projects that make up SmartTrack, but it's looking more and more like the area benefiting the most from it is York Region - and Markham in particular.

I could not resist doing a back of the Excell envelope model on this business of interleaved express and stopping trains on a two-track route.

Obviously, the parameters I chose are arbitrary and pulled out of the air. You can redo the model if you have better data, or just for fun.

I used WislaHD's notional line from Langstaff to Gerrard Square, using mostly straight lines to reach the CN line.
The distance is assumed as 21 kms.
I assumed a top speed between stations of 80 kph
I assumed a train would stop or start from full speed in 90 seconds, straight-line speed increment/decrement. This means the distance needed to stop or start to/from full speed is 1.0 km
I assumed an RER train would stop 4 times. (which is 5 start-stop cycles and 4 dwell periods)
I assumed a ST train would stop 7 times. (8 start-stop cycles, 7 dwell periods)
I assumed a station dwell time of 45 seconds.

The resulting end to end time for a RER train would be 23.25 minutes. The resulting time for a ST train would be 27.75 minutes.

If you assume 10 trains per hour, one every 6 minutes....

The first (stopping) train departs at :00, arriving at the far end at :27.75
The next (RER) train departs at :06, arriving at the far end at :29.25 - a gap of 1.5 mins
The next (stopping) train departs at :12, arriving at the far end at :39.75

So, the gap is possibly barely sufficient, but the service frequency at the outer end becomes ragged.

If you assume RER trains every 15 minutes, with only one ST train in between, for a 7.5 minute headway, it fits...but that's a pretty minimal ST capacity.

- Paul

Last edited:
Watch this video in real time from Chicago's Brown Line. Watch for the level crossings and see.
An 80-minute video with the level crossings towards the end? That's kind of cruel. This isn't some kind of Socratic lesson.

Jump to 1:18:15 - the third rail has breaks:

upload_2015-10-26_17-42-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-26_17-42-0.png
    upload_2015-10-26_17-42-0.png
    519.4 KB · Views: 461

Back