News   Jul 19, 2024
 869     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.8K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I could not resist doing a back of the Excell envelope model on this business of interleaved express and stopping trains on a two-track route.

Obviously, the parameters I chose are arbitrary and pulled out of the air. You can redo the model if you have better data, or just for fun.

I used WislaHD's notional line from Langstaff to Gerrard Square, using mostly straight lines to reach the CN line.
The distance is assumed as 21 kms.
I assumed a top speed between stations of 80 kph
I assumed a train would stop or start from full speed in 90 seconds, straight-line speed increment/decrement. This means the distance needed to stop or start to/from full speed is 1.0 km
I assumed an RER train would stop 4 times. (which is 5 start-stop cycles and 4 dwell periods)
I assumed a ST train would stop 7 times. (8 start-stop cycles, 7 dwell periods)
I assumed a station dwell time of 45 seconds.

The resulting end to end time for a RER train would be 23.25 minutes. The resulting time for a ST train would be 27.75 minutes.

If you assume 10 trains per hour, one every 6 minutes....

The first (stopping) train departs at :00, arriving at the far end at :27.75
The next (RER) train departs at :06, arriving at the far end at :29.25 - a gap of 1.5 mins
The next (stopping) train departs at :12, arriving at the far end at :39.75

So, the gap is possibly barely sufficient, but the service frequency at the outer end becomes ragged.

If you assume RER trains every 15 minutes, with only one ST train in between, for a 7.5 minute headway, it fits...but that's a pretty minimal ST capacity.

- Paul

That's pretty good, nice work. And 23mins is a lot quicker than the currently ineffective RH line. IIRC 42mins on the RH line was quoted in the Yonge North business case, and naturally any realignment using the Don Branch and Leaside Spur was overlooked (though thankfully they're finally considering it now).

What Gweed, WislaHD, and a few others are supporting here seems reasonable. And what crs1026 has calculated shows us that the times are very attractive and competitive, particularly with the $700M/km Yonge North project (which has Union-RHC travel time roughly double that of this commuter-friendly RH-DRL-RER). This is a real SmartTrack IMO. And considering it'd be highly popular, provides relief, and uses a combination of open air sections and tunnels - I'd say its very much like Crossrail. Or at least a helluva lot more like Crossrail than SmartTrack east (which is little more than an all-surface GO upgrade to Unionville and at best will only carry <20k).

Having said that, I'd support this idea 100% if I knew for certain that it would be rapid transit in terms of service offered, and similar to the GO-ALRT program of yore. That is: high-frequency, high floor, high-speed, automated(?), etc. In other words, not like a premium commuter service with bilevels, carpeting, and washrooms.

I should probably clarify - the times I calculated are only for the Gerrard Square - Langstaff segment. Add ten minutes for the leg to Union, or into a new tunnel to Yonge. But with these times, I would be less worried about jeproadising RER -if the stops can be kept to a smaller number, even the all stops version is pretty speedy in comparison to the current service.
- Paul

Speaking of flawed ideas on napkins and other scraps of paper, here's something that supposedly inspired SmartTrack despite being roundly ignored and probably entirely unfeasible:

http://october27.ca/smarttrack/

Highlights:

It doesn’t make sense to just continue to use a train to travel from the airport to Union Station anymore.

The cost would be minimal considering the track is already installed.
Just electrify with a “third rail” and install stations where needed, as needed.

Yes, 'just', because it's not a hugely expensive and complex undertaking at all, right?

The TTC’s current fleet of subway cars are being replaced. Instead of throwing them away, they can be used on the Green Linx above ground subway line.

LOL, track gauge, what's that?

Byn6YvtCUAA0oac.jpg

George Sawision me @GSawision
Strachan @Metrolinx project needs to be covered with a park
9:32 AM - 28 Sep 2014

Um, how much does a park weigh?

Can we implement that woman's (what's her name?) proposal for pedestrian flow control at Bloor-Yonge on this line as well?

Reactions: rbt
Having said that, I'd support this idea 100% if I knew for certain that it would be rapid transit in terms of service offered, and similar to the GO-ALRT program of yore. That is: high-frequency, high floor, high-speed, automated(?), etc. In other words, not like a premium commuter service with bilevels, carpeting, and washrooms.

I agree that those details about exactly what GO RER will be need to be worked out. Hopefully it will look a lot like Paris' RER, and not like an electrified version of current GO.

I should probably clarify - the times I calculated are only for the Gerrard Square - Langstaff segment. Add ten minutes for the leg to Union, or into a new tunnel to Yonge. But with these times, I would be less worried about jeproadising RER -if the stops can be kept to a smaller number, even the all stops version is pretty speedy in comparison to the current service.
- Paul

Great analysis! If the right combination between express and local stations can be achieved, I would say that that timing can be trimmed down even more.

The mayor's office and his staff are keeping secret the costs of the DumbTrack tunnel on Eglinton. I bet the numbers are not what they where hoping for.
Critics want to know what the justification for building that track is, when it is likely to cost billions of dollars to tunnel along Eglinton Ave. W. During the campaign, Tory at first avoided the tunnel question. He then admitted a tunnel would be needed, though his campaign never provided a cost breakdown.

So in come the consultants, in this case a firm called HDR, to study the western spur. That work is now complete. What’s noticeably absent are the costs. But it’s not because they're not available.

I spoke to chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat this week, who confirmed the actual HDR report submitted to the city contains “high-level” costs for the western spur options. So, what are they? Keesmaat won’t tell. She told me to take it up with the city manager’s office.

Before I called Keesmaat, I did exchange emails with Peter Notaro, who works in city manager’s office as director, corporate intergovernmental and agency relations (He's the one that signed off on the SmartTrack update). I asked him if I could have a copy of the actual HDR report. What the city posted is basically a summary of the work HDR did. It’s like providing a footnote, but not access to the primary document.

Notaro wrote back: “City staff are still reviewing the HDR report. We will be releasing information from the report as part of the public consultations planned later this fall.” I wrote back to ask Notaro what exactly about a paid-for consultant’s report needed “reviewing” and whether they planned to change the work submitted. Notaro never responded (I sent a follow-up email asking if he ever planned to respond. He did not respond).

Keesmaat said the report would be made public ahead of public consultations, but not this fall. Because of "glitches" in getting the ridership numbers, those consultations have now been delayed until January.

The mayor’s office says the HDR report has yet to be completed. It’s true that the city summary explains they are waiting on the ridership numbers – projections for how many people might ride SmartTrack at peak hours – before "finalizing" the HDR report. But those “high-level” costs won’t change because of ridership projections.

“There’s a lot of talk around the building about a report that you’re making reference to that has to do with some of the engineering and cost-related aspects of SmartTrack on the west side,” Tory told me at a press availability this week when I asked about HDR and the costs. “I have seen no document, no draft, no summary, no report.”

Tory said he couldn’t provide any numbers from the report - a report on the transit plan that formed the cornerstone of his campaign and is his number one priority for this term - “because I don’t have any.”

But the city’s chief planner says the numbers are available.

The end result is this: The city’s top officials refuse to let you know how much the most expensive part of SmartTrack is estimated to cost.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city-ha...rttrack-costs-no-one-will-tell-you-about.html

In the year since Tory's been mayor, we've wasted a year & millions of dollars on DumbTrack consultants and the mayor continues to ignore important questions, while shovel ready plans go unbuilt.

Last edited:
These people know there's no way to justify this useless Eglinton West extension so they are trying to delay the inevitable. Isn't there a way to get them to release the report? I thought we had Access to Information laws?

Another way politicians mess things up. They shouldn't be involved in this. Just release the funding when needed and let the real experts do the work. What does John Tory know about transit?

These people know there's no way to justify this useless Eglinton West extension so they are trying to delay the inevitable. Isn't there a way to get them to release the report? I thought we had Access to Information laws?

Another way politicians mess things up. They shouldn't be involved in this. Just release the funding when needed and let the real experts do the work. What does John Tory know about transit?

We'll know the numbers when they are reported to Council later this fall.

We'll know the numbers when they are reported to Council later this fall.

Au contraire. From the article:

Keesmaat said the report would be made public ahead of public consultations, but not this fall. Because of "glitches" in getting the ridership numbers, those consultations have now been delayed until January.

Back