News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 703     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Skyline from the west

sorry redroom, terrific photo, i saved it because i thought it looked terrific, but i do have the panorama.

torontoviewfrommississatx0.jpg

I think its just a reflection but that strip in the air looks like airborne aircraft carrier.

yes you are right....

lol

I forget the picture is not taken near downtown Toronto.

i find toronto to be a VERY midwestern city and skyline.
but what of it??
so is chicago!
ain't nothin' grim about chicago.
there's no shame in the midwest.
any grim-inosity in that skyline will soon be wiped away by a couple of sexy 80 storey towers.

I find it interesting because I don't feel Toronto has the same character as the American midwest. Chicago has little in common with Toronto, and the types of cities they are, the reasons they grew, and the style of housing in the city are radically different. The only thing similar is that they both house very vast skylines (although even there its different, Chicago is linear and only on the lakefront and no buildings are built within blocks away from the lakefront, Toronto has buildings that go up away from the lakefront and throughout the GTA), and they both have a lot of brick-based housing stock.

Other than that two completely different cities.

Show me a midwest city with a skyline that long and large outside of Chicago.

I'm sure many on this forum have been to Chicago, as I stated above there are virtually no highrises anywhere in metro Chicago except a few blocks from the lakefront. Its one of the most linear skylines in the world, and besides that the only highrises in metro Chicago outside the city really are right around O'Hare and Schaumburg, yet suburban Chicago is nothing like, say, Mississauga.

I've always been interested in the huge Chicago and Toronto discussions, because at their core are two very different cities functioning in very different ways.

Casa is finally now visible when I glance out my window. (The Bay/Charles tower has been in the way like forever).

Taken today with a digital zoom... also it looks like Casa is about to overtake BSN in terms of height.

DSCN4317.jpg

And here's a couple shots with a finished BAC and a nearly finished RBC. Both seem to be rather nice companion pieces from this angle...

DSCN4318.jpg

DSCN4321.jpg

Last edited:
great series of photos there! I was disappointed with the impact of BA on the skyline when I was there last week. It somehow reads as invisible to my eyes... I guess because its gray-blue and reflects the colour of the sky.

"And here's a couple shots with a finished BAC and a nearly finished RBC. Both seem to be rather nice companion pieces from this angle..."

Hey Casa Guy, where were those last pics taken from? Almost looks like they were taken from the schoolyard on top of the hill at Dufferin and Davenport.

BAC is just living out glass tower syndrome. as far as having a dramatic effect on a skyline, blue/green/grey/silver towers won't do very much. i'm not saying they are not attractive or elegant. they are unique in their own right and add some welcome density and height to the downtown core. i just think they disappear with the sky. interchange seems to disagree but that's fine.

Back