News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 869     0 

Skyline from the west

If this picture shows anything, it shows that Toronto is a subway-town, built in linear fashion with the tallest towers at subway stop. Where there are two-storey houses you have no subways.
Actually some of Toronto's densest neighbourhoods are nowhere near a subway line, like the entire east and west sides of downtown. Low rise and midrise don't necessarily mean low density. And lots of two storey house neighbourhoods have subways. If anything subway construction in the last 30 years hasn't followed density, it's avoided it.

This picture also shows that Toronto needs some more excitement to its development. So much of it is similar that the buildings are almost invisible. Look at ROCP1 and ROCP 2. They've been painted a beautiful sky blue, ala the Simpsons. You can hardly see them.

City Place is the same way - the almost blend into the clouds.

I love Toronto's skyline and it is only getting bigger and better, but c'mon, would a little variety be a bad thing? (I think we all know the answer to that)
ROCP and Cityplace are nothing alike!

taken from the crossways tower i suppose? actually probably that highrise@dovercourt and bloor, or one of those dupont/landsdowne area slabs.

I've got that view too--except crossways is blocking the yonge/wellesley-yonge/college area. by day, toronto from my pov looks like a small grim town in the midwest, by night it looks better--but still reminds me of what former torontonians living in vancouver used to say: the higher up you live in toronto the higher chance you'll be depressed by what you see! Toronto has a view? lol. Very true....
I don't see how a high view can be depressing in Toronto. The city looks like a giant forest from high up, especially in the summer.

Yes, Toronto's inner suburban tree canopy is spectacular. We have so few buildings between 2 and 12 storeys that towers stand out like islands scattered throughout a green sea. There's atolls of commie blocks around Jane & Finch or Warden & Finch. The Yonge line acts as the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and new condos erupt through the canopy like volcanoes creating Surtseys.

If anything subway construction in the last 30 years hasn't followed density, it's avoided it.

It hasn't avoided density, it's just gotten slightly closer to density. And we've only built 8km of subways since 1980. I mean, you can't blame Downsview or Bessarion for extensions that only went half as far as they should have (to York U w/ Jane & Finch nearby or to Consumers/Agincourt/STC).

Actually some of Toronto's densest neighbourhoods are nowhere near a subway line, like the entire east and west sides of downtown. Low rise and midrise don't necessarily mean low density. And lots of two storey house neighbourhoods have subways. If anything subway construction in the last 30 years hasn't followed density, it's avoided it.

ROCP and Cityplace are nothing alike!

The first part of this wasn't meant to be an absolute statement. Of course there are non-dense areas along the subway and dense areas off the subway. But looking at this picture (and only this picture) it is interesting to see the peaks at each station - take it or leave it, nothing more.

As for ROCP - in this picture it blends into the sky like it is invisible. Cityplace does as well, to a lesser degree. That's as far as that goes.

I don't think it's really offensive to call Toronto "midwestern" except from a Canadian nationalist point of view. :)

I've said it before and said it again, Southern Ontario (like Western New York State) has a sort of hybrid Midwest/Northeast feel to it. There are a lot of similarities between Chicago and Toronto (age, stature, skyline) although Toronto's old Victorian rowhouses is more old colonial British/Northeastern and less like an upstart prairie boom town.

An over-sized panorama just for fun.

Yonge/Bloor is on the far left. Bathurst/Lakeshore area is on the far right.

Here's one I took a few days ago.

Attachments

• pano.jpg
    pano.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 272
Seeing as we're on the topic of panoramic shots, here's one from the Steamwhistle brewery. I never even knew of this park until recently, it's a great vantage point.

[click]

duelling panoramas - I love it, thanks guys! egotrippin, sort of funny how the much hated Infinity buildings become the center piece of your photo. I dont hate them as much as everyone else and they look quite good in this photo. I think the fact that they are sort of standing alone just now works against them....

I just downloaded autostitch and tried a couple panos with some older pics from back in April. I will have to use my tripod next time to keep everything on the same level...

2643631474_54abe4eb1d_b.jpg

2642798239_b383acaa35_b.jpg

duelling panoramas - I love it, thanks guys! egotrippin, sort of funny how the much hated Infinity buildings become the center piece of your photo. I dont hate them as much as everyone else and they look quite good in this photo. I think the fact that they are sort of standing alone just now works against them....

I just downloaded autostitch and tried a couple panos with some older pics from back in April. I will have to use my tripod next time to keep everything on the same level...

Nice panoramics! A tripod is definitely recommended, but those auto stitching programs work wonders. I personally use Photoshop, CS3 has a built in stitching tool which is excellent. It even levels out the exposures, white balance, and colours between each shot automatically.

I personally don't mind those Infinity buildings either, and from that vantage point they create a bridge in the gap between the CBD and the condo-lands waterfront.

I use autostitch too. It's the easiest thing to use plus it's free. The only thing is that it makes my computer run half the speed when it's being used.

imo our skyline hides a lot.

You cannot even see anything from the east at all.

Back