News   Jul 24, 2024
 187     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 704     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 729     1 

Sheppard Stubway

What course of action should be taken in regards to the Sheppard corridor?

• Total voters
It's not a bad idea to consider it, but with the RTP calling for all-day two-way service on the Stouffville Line, I don't think it's feasible. Not to mention the big middle finger it gives to STC.

The purpose of extending Sheppard is not just to connect to STC, it's to serve everything along the way.

Those 40,000 residents would, realistically, generate no more rides on that subway line than there already are riders on the 190 Rocket, let alone are also on the 85. Running Sheppard up to Markham Centre means, essentially, building a Warden subway line (unless you'd have it run up somewhere else). I've always seen the Markham issue as a potential choice involving extending whatever gets built on Don Mills - a N/S line there could veer northwest a bit and follow Leslie to Beaver Creek, which is not on a GO line, or it could follow a Viva Greenish path and go east and then up Warden.

First time I have visited this thread and will admit to being too lazy to go back through all the pages of discussion...so this may have been answered.

One thing that I have oft wondered about is that people use language like this "finish this line by extending it to STC".....not disputing that taking this line further east to Scarborough would make it more useful but would that actually finish the line? I always thought that it would make more sense if the thing was extended further west to meet the other north-south line...I think that even more now that it is being extended north into York U and Vaughan......wouldn't the Sheppard line get at least as big a boost by being extended west as it would east?

Yes, Sheppard needs to be extended to Downsview, too, but this thread was created in response to the Transfer City plan, which only addressed Sheppard East, so I guess that's why westward extensions haven't been mentioned as much (and anything crossing Yonge will often automatically be seen as two separate projects, almost two lines, even).

Most do agree with the extension to Downsview.
I have seen on some maps and in some discussion that some believe that the subway to Vaughan should be an extension of Sheppard as well. If that were to happen we'd have an unneccesary transfer needed to get downtown where the vast majority of trips would be headed. I wouldn't think that a seamless link from VCC to STC would help many people.

Btw if Sheppard subway is extended westward, should it connect to Spadina line at Downsview, or at Wilson station?

The distance to Wilson will be almost same as to Downsview, as the Spadina line tilts west there.

I can see a few advantages of connecting to Wilson rather than Downsview. The line could run under Sheppard from Yonge to Bathurst, then tunnel south-west, emerge just west of the Spadina tracks, and run south parallel to them, to Wilson Stn. Such configuration would make it easier to connect the two lines and the Wilson Yard tracks. It might even be possible to run Sheppard as a branch of Spadina line from downtown.

Another advantage is the possibility (albeit remote) to extend the "Sheppard" subway further west along Wilson, and connect to Etobicoke North GO station with its frequent Airport and Brampton services.

Most do agree with the extension to Downsview.
I have seen on some maps and in some discussion that some believe that the subway to Vaughan should be an extension of Sheppard as well. If that were to happen we'd have an unneccesary transfer needed to get downtown where the vast majority of trips would be headed. I wouldn't think that a seamless link from VCC to STC would help many people.

Would it be possible to extend Sheppard west to Downsiew and up to VCC (I think I saw the same map) but also connect it to the Spadina line so that, say, every other southbound train from VCC would go East to Yonge and everyother one would go straight downtown via Spadina (don't laugh, I know nothing about subway tunneling/design/engineering)....looking at this from a passenger point of view this would offer the greatest flexibility and, therefore, likely be more attractive for increasing ridership?

Another advantage is the possibility (albeit remote) to extend the "Sheppard" subway further west along Wilson, and connect to Etobicoke North GO station with its future (some time far away but not now) frequent Airport and Brampton services.

Fixed your post.

Would it be possible to extend Sheppard west to Downsiew and up to VCC (I think I saw the same map) but also connect it to the Spadina line so that, say, every other southbound train from VCC would go East to Yonge and everyother one would go straight downtown via Spadina (don't laugh, I know nothing about subway tunneling/design/engineering)....looking at this from a passenger point of view this would offer the greatest flexibility and, therefore, likely be more attractive for increasing ridership?

Downsview station's alignment makes this very awkward, and running only half the trains southbound would cause substantial crowding on the Spadina line.

Downsview station's alignment makes this very awkward, and running only half the trains southbound would cause substantial crowding on the Spadina line.

I guess I was presuming that north of York U ridership would be less anyway....so maybe the split is at the University (probably more complicated) and some of the northbound trains would end at York and turn back south so that southbound from York to downtown there would be adequate service to alleviate the crowding.....so (if I understand myself) only half of the trains northbound would go beyond York (the other half turning around and going back south) and half of the trains coming south from VCC would vere off towards Yonge.....I think if you look up "logistical nightmare" in the dictionary it describes what I am trying to say better ;)

It might be possible to create a "Y" interlining between the Allen Rd, Sheppard, and YorkU / VCC sections, similar to that existed at St. George in the past (University / Bloor W / Bloor E).

Wilson could be a common station for both Allen Rd. branches, Sheppard / Bathurst for both Sheppard branches. But at Downsview, two separate stations would be needed for the VCC - downtown and VCC - Sheppard branches, as the existing station is on N-S tracks and it will be hard to connect E-W Sheppard tracks to it.

Back