News   Jul 23, 2024
 37     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Sheppard Stubway

What course of action should be taken in regards to the Sheppard corridor?

• Total voters
Not so much from a cost-benefit perspective.

If Sheppard had the capital expenditure of the Pink line, or even double or triple it, you would have an argument.

The Pink line in Chicago was opened as a refurbishment of abandoned tracks, the return on investment was much higher than Sheppard, even if the ridership is lower.

Sheppard is horribly overbuilt. Why are the stations the size of airport terminals?

bad managing and station being overbuilt doesnt mean the line itself is not a good thing.

They should find a way to keep it simple yet pretty or just clean.

Like my father always said and he lived in Paris,
Service and Cleaness>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Super Station filled with art.

That why I always said that Montreal Metro was superior in every way in style but I would pick the TTC any day of the week because of the better service.

It's also about 150-200m from the subway platform to the intersection...
Most of that walkway is the 1/3 of the subway platform that's walled off, because of the 4-car trains, rather than the 6-car trains. I think 200-metres is bit of an exageration ... 100 metres maximum ... and 40-metres is because of the shortened station. And then it's only a single, shallow, set of stairs up to the intersection. I find that's one of the easier platforms to get onto from that exit, compared to most, where you have a set of stairs down to the mezzanine, and then wind your way to another set of stairs to the tracks.

And then if you want to go to the hospital it's another 500 from that point to the entrance.
???? No it's not. It's about 160 metres as the crow flies to the main building. About a 250 metres if your not jaywalking. And the administration building itself backs onto the subway; the one entrance is a lot closer to the Admin building than the Admin building parking lot! Keep in mind that the complex itself is very sprawling ... about 400 metres from the one end of the administration building, to the other end of the hospital. Anyone whinging that the hospital isn't near the subway is just looking for excuses. It's no further to walk to the subway than St. Micheal's downtown. What doesn't help though is the suburban construction, with all the space around the buildings, etc. But that's going to be true of anywhere in suburbia.

How much more proof is needed that SUBWAYS attract riders? Sheppard could be a second backbone for the city going east-west. But we also need another north-south, i.e. the eastern leg of the DRL. Maybe we should rename the DRL the Don Mills-Downtown Relief Line if we have it continue up Don Mills (or whatever corridor east of Yonge suits a University/Spadina type arrangement.

How much more proof is needed that SUBWAYS attract riders? Sheppard could be a second backbone for the city going east-west. But we also need another north-south, i.e. the eastern leg of the DRL. Maybe we should rename the DRL the Don Mills-Downtown Relief Line if we have it continue up Don Mills (or whatever corridor east of Yonge suits a University/Spadina type arrangement.
I was thinking that. The Don Mills-Core line isn't a bad idea, and would continue to provide "Downtown Relief." However, I think we need 2 East-West subway lines. Do more work on Sheppard and start on another, probably Eglinton.

I was thinking that. The Don Mills-Core line isn't a bad idea, and would continue to provide "Downtown Relief." However, I think we need 2 East-West subway lines. Do more work on Sheppard and start on another, probably Eglinton.

Oh I completely agree. The SUBWAYS we need are as follows:

1. to finish Sheppard to STC
2. to finish Danforth to STC
3. to extend Sheppard to Downsview
4. Build the DRL from Dundas West to Union to Pape to Sheppard via Don Mills
5. Build the Eglinton line from Weston to Laird (Phase I)
6. Extend Yonge to RHC
7. Extend Bloor to MCC

Back