News   Jul 15, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 607     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

At this point, I think the Liberal caucus from Scarborough would rather have a boondoggle Sheppard subway extension from the PCs than a rather more sensible LRT plan from the Liberals. They get a subway AND they get none of the blame ehen costs skyrocket! Score!

Ok!! If the province is generating $1 Billion for 1% of tax, how much comes from Toronto???

That X dollar generated by Toronto goes into general revenue with TTC getting some of that money yearly.

Lets use $500 million as Toronto share of the 1% tax. To do what is now plan for transit in 15 years will only generate $7.5 B and not close to the $30 B that will be needed and thats a low number in the first place.

As soon as you go from 15% sales tax to 17%, you are going to see a drop in revenue, as the non 416 will start to think is it worth to shop, visit Toronto and well do business there. Business would step back to see if its worth having offices and plants there to the point some will move out of the city.

At the same time, the province will reduce funding for transit to Toronto since they will see Toronto has that extra 1% tax return that they will not be seeing.

Do your Economics 101 homework first before saying what the tax should be.

At present, the City of Toronto as well as all other Ontario municipalities are not allowed to charge their own sales tax. The provincial government would have to either collect the that tax on their behalf, or change the laws and allow the municipalities to charge sales taxes.

As soon as you go from 15% sales tax to 17%, you are going to see a drop in revenue, as the non 416 will start to think is it worth to shop, visit Toronto and well do business there. Business would step back to see if its worth having offices and plants there to the point some will move out of the city.

Indeed, a noticeable difference in the taxation level inside and outside Toronto will drive retail and other businesses out of the city. Maybe, a 0.5% difference is acceptable but anything more than that may be risky.

Perhaps the best solution is that the province levies a universal sales surtax, and then passes it to the municipalities where the monday are collected. Then, the municipalities can use the funds as suites them best. Big cities will build transit, small cities may invest in better roads, and remote / rural area might use the funds for better schools etc.

Last edited:
Any sales tax should be GTA wide rather than city wide. The transit expansion program beyond the City of Toronto includes GO RER, GO electrification, LRT, and some subway construction.

Yeah, there will be endless screams and snivelling about who is paying X but getting less or more. But it levels the playing field so the retail issues are a bit less.

It will be interesting to watch when we finally get around to the debate on how to pay for it all.

- Paul

I believe that is false. There will be new taxes. What the mayor has said us that property tax may not be the way to do it. I don't necessarily disagree. Something linked to travel (hotel), sin (booze), or sales taxes may be the best approach.
what do they do with that land transfer tax? This is what i want to know.

what do they do with that land transfer tax? This is what i want to know.

In today's low interest rate environment, it stays. Buyers pay it so it serves as a gentle brake on some sales. Besides it is a source of revenue currently for he city. It can be reviewed in five years after the sales tax is in place.

Back