News   Jul 15, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 400     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

paying how?

Under Tory's watch, the express bus network has been expanded, start of the Sunday subway service moved from 9 am to 8 am, and recently he got the Uber regulations passed.

Although his SmartTrack plan got scaled back big time, it prompted Metrolinx to add a few more RER stations in the core.

Finch LRT is approaching the construction start. This is not Tory's project and not his funding, but he kind of covered it from possible political disruptions.

And, the funding situation for both Eglinton West and Eglinton East LRT is looking brighter now. Eglinton West is almost guaranteed to be funded, under the SmartTrack brand. Eglinton East, I'd say 50% chance. Before Tory, neither of the two had any funding.

At the end, taxpayers money are spent to feed Tory and his crew as well as financing garbage reports that will never happen. 15 years later, they do another round of EAs and the cycle begins again.
well we all know all these lines will not be built. With Tory constantly talking about finding efficiencies he will never raise taxes other than that .05 we are paying for that scarborough transit

Under Tory's watch, the express bus network has been expanded, start of the Sunday subway service moved from 9 am to 8 am, and recently he got the Uber regulations passed.

Although his SmartTrack plan got scaled back big time, it prompted Metrolinx to add a few more RER stations in the core.

Finch LRT is approaching the construction start. This is not Tory's project and not his funding, but he kind of covered it from possible political disruptions.

And, the funding situation for both Eglinton West and Eglinton East LRT is looking brighter now. Eglinton West is almost guaranteed to be funded, under the SmartTrack brand. Eglinton East, I'd say 50% chance. Before Tory, neither of the two had any funding.
you don't say how Tory will raise the money for toronto's portion

Under Tory's watch, the express bus network has been expanded, start of the Sunday subway service moved from 9 am to 8 am, and recently he got the Uber regulations passed

Are we talking about the same JT that's attempting to implement big cuts to the TTC budget? I believe, the biggest cuts since the 90s.

well we all know all these lines will not be built. With Tory constantly talking about finding efficiencies he will never raise taxes other than that .05 we are paying for that scarborough transit

I believe that is false. There will be new taxes. What the mayor has said us that property tax may not be the way to do it. I don't necessarily disagree. Something linked to travel (hotel), sin (booze), or sales taxes may be the best approach.

A hotel tax alone isn't going to raise enough. Of course an increase in the property tax would be ideal, but it's better to have a range of small taxes. That way, shortfalls in one year from one source are more likely to be made up by another source.

The TTC is already looking at another cut this year on top of the last.

It's the reason why the TTC has been going through all the issues with all the delays and broken AC that weren't there a year or two ago, maintenance is being differed.

I wouldn't worry about this so much. Eglinton Crosstown will be in service in 2021. People will have a good idea of what an LRT Crosstown will look like for the north.

Also, conversion of the subway will neuter the the argument that Scarborough is getting a second tier service.
Jim and Glenn will yap about "closing the loop."

Are we talking about the same JT that's attempting to implement big cuts to the TTC budget? I believe, the biggest cuts since the 90s.

I did not have a chance to read what they are going to cut. Most likely, they will not undo the advances I mentioned: early Sunday start and new express buses; and certainly not the new Uber regulations that are unrelated to TTC.

How about a province-wide HST 0.5% rate hike specifically directed to Metrolinx to keep it out of general revenue?

Your proposal needs some refinement. Specifically the "Province-Wide" and "Directed to Metrolinx" are going to be a massive political shit-storm.

Last edited:
How about a province-wide HST 0.5% rate hike specifically directed to Metrolinx to keep it out of general revenue?

Enough fartin' around.
Proposed years ago as one of the funding tools under the Big Move and rejected. It was also proposed under a panel setup by the province and the province rejected it.

Money raise by this tax on areas that have no transit, the money was to go into roads or other things.

There are a number of cities/states that have an % of the sale tax going to transit in the US to the point a number more are on the Nov election ballot for the first time, as well asking for increase.

Any taxing tool by Toronto other than 1% sale tax going to Transit 100%, will never raise the money it need to build transit and maintain it

Back