News   Jul 12, 2024
 733     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 297     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Seconded. Northern Etobicoke is probably the hardest place in the city to reach by transit right now.

I disagree.

There's many well-serviced bus routes in North Etobicoke ... whether on an east-west direction, or north-south direction.

When the Finch West subway station is completed, that area of Finch Ave. W. won't doesn't need an LRT.

If anything, it'll be over-serviced.

there is a reason Metrolinx is delaying the Finch and Sheppard LRTs as much as they can, they are very low ridership. Especially now that the scarborough subway is happening for Sheppard, which will split its ridership halfway along its route. I hope they still happen, but they will likely be running single car trains every 5 minutes or something like that on opening day.

I disagree.

There's many well-serviced bus routes in North Etobicoke ... whether on an east-west direction, or north-south direction.

When the Finch West subway station is completed, that area of Finch Ave. W. won't doesn't need an LRT.

If anything, it'll be over-serviced.
welcome.
there is a reason Metrolinx is delaying the Finch and Sheppard LRTs as much as they can, they are very low ridership. Especially now that the scarborough subway is happening for Sheppard, which will split its ridership halfway along its route. I hope they still happen, but they will likely be running single car trains every 5 minutes or something like that on opening day.

I would think Finch would be way more successful then sheppard. Bus ridership is 44k. I honestly wondered why the Finch LRT never went to Markham road in Scarborough as Finch East is just as busy.

I thought the govt/Metrolinx was delaying the LRTs because of the scarborough liberal caucus.

a lot of that 44k number comes from east of Finch west. You are probably looking at closer to 30 on the portion the Finch LRT will actually run, which is much lower. It hits Jane and Finch however and will do miracles for that struggling community (as well as the entire route, that area of the city isn't exactly wealthy) so it is needed IMO, but not so much in terms of ridership. Its in the range of LRT, but on the really low end. (much like the Kitchener LRT, they will be very similar projects in terms of ridership)

a lot of that 44k number comes from east of Finch west. You are probably looking at closer to 30 on the portion the Finch LRT will actually run, which is much lower. It hits Jane and Finch however and will do miracles for that struggling community (as well as the entire route, that area of the city isn't exactly wealthy) so it is needed IMO, but not so much in terms of ridership. Its in the range of LRT, but on the really low end. (much like the Kitchener LRT, they will be very similar projects in terms of ridership)

That's good to hear. I always felt that Finch West was just to connect that part of the city with the RT system. So I guess Finch East (east of Don Mills) also has lower rider ship too, huh?

That's good to hear. I always felt that Finch West was just to connect that part of the city with the RT system. So I guess Finch East (east of Don Mills) also has lower rider ship too, huh?

Years ago I rode this bus (Finch East) regularly. There were next to no boardings between Yonge and Don Mills.

I took the Sheppard subway in the afternoon on a weekday to Bessarion station recently. It was actually not as empty as I had expected. It was not very busy either, there were lots of seats available, noticeably less used than Yonge or Bloor, but it was not as empty as I had thought.

At Bessarion about 5 people got off the train, which was more than I expected. When getting back on the train there were about 3 people running down the stairs. The chimes sounded so I assumed I was too late anyways and slowed down. But then I saw the door-operator waving at me to come into the train, so I sped up. That's the first time I've ever seen a subway operator hold the whole train up to wait for one person to get on.

I took the Sheppard subway in the afternoon on a weekday to Bessarion station recently. It was actually not as empty as I had expected.

I noticed the same thing when I found an excuse to use Sheppard Subway last year (as a shuttle between Yonge and Fairview Mall). It was [almost] standing room only on a Saturday evening. I was almost impressed until I realized that it was [almost] standing room only on a line with 4 car trainsets and headways larger than 7 minutes.

At Bessarion about 5 people got off the train, which was more than I expected. When getting back on the train there were about 3 people running down the stairs.

I see more people at Bessarion than I expected. A big chunk of the time I don't see anyone there, but it's not uncommon to see one or two people at the station . An impressive accomplishment (not really; just trying to find a sliver lining)

The chimes sounded so I assumed I was too late anyways and slowed down. But then I saw the door-operator waving at me to come into the train, so I sped up. That's the first time I've ever seen a subway operator hold the whole train up to wait for one person to get on.

I'm really struggling to resist the urge to make a series of cynical remarks about Sheppard :mad:

Edit: Oh f*ck it. It's not as if the schedule matters on the billion dollar hole in the ground. Nobody uses the thing anyways. And I'm sure he didn't want to watch you wait four liftetimes for the next train to come. [I'm sorry, the urge was overwhelming. I'll go stand in the corner in shame]

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing when I found an excuse to use Sheppard Subway last year (as a shuttle between Yonge and Fairview Mall). It was [almost] standing room only on a Saturday evening. I was almost impressed until I realized that it was [almost] standing room only on a line with 4 car trainsets and headways larger than 7 minutes.

I see more people at Bessarion than I expected. A big chunk of the time I don't see anyone there, but it's not uncommon to see one or two people at the station . An impressive accomplishment (not really; just trying to find a sliver lining)

I'm really struggling to resist the urge to make a series of cynical remarks about Sheppard :mad:

Edit: Oh f*ck it. It's not as if the schedule matters on the billion dollar hole in the ground. Nobody uses the thing anyways. And I'm sure he didn't want to watch you wait four liftetimes for the next train to come. [I'm sorry, the urge was overwhelming. I'll go stand in the corner in shame]

LOL.. couldn't help but laugh while reading this.

BTW my destination was actually much closer to Leslie station but due to the design of the street the actual walk was much longer:
http://goo.gl/maps/4xszS

Great example of how some streets make walking difficult.

you do realize that there is an entrance directly onto sheppard from Leslie station right..?https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.770868,-79.367349/43.77097,-79.369722/@43.771277,-79.366871,3a,75y,185.11h,79.28t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sc-Cn9tEB5HCHkbm3ELn_DA!2e0!4m6!4m5!1m1!4e1!1m1!4e1!3e2?hl=en

Also I believe that Sheppard runs at 5 minute frequencies 24/7. roughly 80% of the ridership runs end to end. (From Sheppard Yonge to Don Mills)

Bessarion also isn't as empty as many make it out to be. Ellesmere on the SRT has less than half as much use, and it isn't too far off from midland. Funny enough though Stations like Yorkdale grew in ridership more than the entire amount for Bessarion last year. Yorkdale went from 25,000 daily users to 29,000 daily users (roughly) while Bessarion went from 2,000 to 2,500 (roughly)

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Oakwood on the Eglinton LRT beat it out for low ridership as well.

Last edited:

Back