News   Aug 09, 2024
 439     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 457     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

After reading through this thread, I’ve come up for a proposal for transit on Sheppard Ave East that should work better than anything that has been proposed so far....
I like that the stations are actually proper stations (with platform) as oppose to being a "stop". That at least makes the proposal much more marketable, to help distinguish it from streetcar lines (Spadina, St. Clair).

They could at least trench it in the middle of the streets, and go under intersections so they wouldn't have to bother with traffic lights at all, and it will still be ventilated with some wire mesh over it or something.

Transit City.... hmm. I like it. Has a nice ring to it.

Toronto will become a Transit City! Brilliant!

This 'Transit City' of ours should also have the Light Rail technology that I proposed along many suburban arterial roads. Starting with Sheppard East, Finch West and Eglinton. And since the central portion of Eglinton is too narrow for the right-of-way, that part could be a subway. The Eglinton Light Rail line will seamlessly transition from a subway to a right-of-way. Brilliant! This is revolutionary! And it should be cheap was well. I counted all the nuts and bolts and lightbulbs that will be needed, and it should cost about $8.4 Billion.

This may work on Sheppard and Finch, but Eglinton?

Can you imagine spending $6B on a transit line from Malvern to Mount Dennis that would force a transfer at Kennedy, would be interrupted by traffic at numerous intersections between Kennedy and Leslie, and would not provide a high capacity link to a future DRL. Also consider that the entire thing could be built at SkyTrain or Mini-metro for the same cost and with less disruption to the SRT during conversion, smaller diameter tunnels through the core and elevated portions towards the edges.

I do not think that anyone would be stupid enough to push this newfangled "LRT" plan for Eglinton.

you don't need a high capacity link on eglinton anyway, and sending it underground would allow for the higher capacity area where it is kind of needed. most riders will be transferring at Kennedy anyway, its probably better to extend the B-D line. Also, no way ALRT will be the same price. Where would you get the cost savings to pay for an elevated portion? that alone would increase costs by at least $1 billion.

Question. If the bloor danforth is built to sheppard/mccowan, if we build the sheppard subway, how would the intertchange work at mccowan?

I would guess that the Sheppard line would just go under the B-D line, with the Sheppard line having tail tracks to the East and B-D with tail tracks to the north. I do not think they can be connected - even if you try to use the CP corridor to smooth the curve.

and then would there be more stops than if the subway was going to STC or not?

I would guess that the Sheppard subway to STC would have stops at: (1) Kennedy, (2) Agincourt GO (both the Stouffville line and future Midtown line), (3) Progress/Brimley and (4) STC. The current GO station would be moved to be south of Sheppard.

The Sheppard subway to McCowan would have stops at: (1) Kennedy, (2) Agincourt GO (Stouffville line), (3) Agincourt GO (future Midtown line), and (4) McCowan. As with the 1st option, the current GO station would be moved to be south of Sheppard - maybe a bit more of an interchange with the 2 GO's and the subway some 300m apart.

The GO Midtown really becomes a problem with the Sheppard subway to McCowan option. The current and future GO lines cross Sheppard over 800m apart. It would appear that the number of stations would be the same with either alignment.

I would guess that the Sheppard line would just go under the B-D line, with the Sheppard line having tail tracks to the East and B-D with tail tracks to the north. I do not think they can be connected - even if you try to use the CP corridor to smooth the curve.

I would guess that the Sheppard subway to STC would have stops at: (1) Kennedy, (2) Agincourt GO (both the Stouffville line and future Midtown line), (3) Progress/Brimley and (4) STC. The current GO station would be moved to be south of Sheppard.

The Sheppard subway to McCowan would have stops at: (1) Kennedy, (2) Agincourt GO (Stouffville line), (3) Agincourt GO (future Midtown line), and (4) McCowan. As with the 1st option, the current GO station would be moved to be south of Sheppard - maybe a bit more of an interchange with the 2 GO's and the subway some 300m apart.

The GO Midtown really becomes a problem with the Sheppard subway to McCowan option. The current and future GO lines cross Sheppard over 800m apart. It would appear that the number of stations would be the same with either alignment.

What about Victoria park and warden

you don't need a high capacity link on eglinton anyway, and sending it underground would allow for the higher capacity area where it is kind of needed. most riders will be transferring at Kennedy anyway, its probably better to extend the B-D line. Also, no way ALRT will be the same price. Where would you get the cost savings to pay for an elevated portion? that alone would increase costs by at least $1 billion.

The ALRT is also much less flexible than LRT. A fully protected corridor is mandatory, while LRT can go practically anywhere. This is one of the biggest benefits of LRT imo.

And dump more people at Bloor Yonge? I would eliminate the transfer and extend eglinton for that very reason: to send them to Eglinton Yonge, which will have more than enough capacity.

Just like I though. No stops at Birchmount. I would believe that people who live at those apartment blocks won't be happy, but if they supported the LRT it would have more stops.

On the west end, a really unpopular idea from the other map was to bring the Sheppard subway to Alibion, but I don't know anywhere where Albion station will fit in that part of north Etobicoke.

^good idea. I propose cutting the "Filled" part of the title however, it seems unnecessary. "Transit City" has a nicer ring to it.

I still think Transit-Filled City is much better and catchier than Transit City. Also instead of LRT we should be calling it Fancy Streetcars or St Clair Disasters (SCDs). Also instead of the phrase "building LRT" we should use the phrase "St Clair-izing".

The St. Clair Disaster needs its own Heritage Minute skit

Other guy:"Dear God, she's a mile away Boys we gotta get in our SUVs. The streetcars are coming!"

Coleman: "No!"

Other Guy:"Coleman, there's no time! The streetcars are coming!"

Coleman: "10,000 drivers use that road, I've gotta stop it! Come on Rob Ford, respond! Stop this streetcar! stop it!!"

**streetcar gongs**

Narrator: "St. Clair West was devastated. Thousands of cars were displaced and roving gangs of hipsters, downtown lefties and other undesirables moved in via streetcar."

The St. Clair Disaster: Part of our Heritage

Back