Sheppard East LRT Renderings

Things I expect:
- Next vehicle arrival time display
- Enclosed waiting area, preferably heated
- Demarcation of a fare paid area or some explanation of how POP works
- Machines to reload Presto with money
- Presto tap things at both ends of the platform
- Well designed garbage and recycling receptacles

A lot more money is budgeted for these lines than was for St. Clair, so I would expect them to be polished.

As someone else noted in the thread, given experience on Spadina vs St. Clair, side poles are also a much better choice than central poles for sharing the ROW with buses and emergency vehicles.

In my mind those are the only things that matter to me as an every day user.

I disagree, sort of. People here on Urban Toronto and people in the city building industries would really appreciate the mid-rise, urbanist development in the background, but I think it makes the average Joe scream "pipe dream!"

If we're trying to sell the line to people, I think there are merits in showing the line as it will appear on opening day. Showing a totally revamped streetscape may cause the viewer to reject the entire image as unrealistic.

Perhaps the solution is to do both?

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/pdf/2008-06_display_panels_1.pdf

As requested ;)

I see that these are unofficial.

If they were official, they'd be a bit disappointing compared with what Viva is building:
http://www.vivanext.com/assets/files/pastConsultations/March_23_2011/NewVivastationFeatures.pdf

Things I expect:
- Next vehicle arrival time display
- Enclosed waiting area, preferably heated
- Demarcation of a fare paid area or some explanation of how POP works
- Machines to reload Presto with money
- Presto tap things at both ends of the platform
- Well designed garbage and recycling receptacles

A lot more money is budgeted for these lines than was for St. Clair, so I would expect them to be polished.

As someone else noted in the thread, given experience on Spadina vs St. Clair, side poles are also a much better choice than central poles for sharing the ROW with buses and emergency vehicles.

Also, don't forget the concrete safety barriers at the intersection ends of the Viva stations; I haven't seen these in any rendering of the TC stations.

And if Sheppard actually only had the sparce traffic that the renderings are depicting.... have you been to sheppard recently?

Please also show the long line of left turn vehicles that will be taking up an entire lane. Accuracy is important after all
The TTC can't even accurately show the map of the Spadina line and where the stops north of St. Clair are located. The line on the map makes it appear as if it is so close to Yonge Street and Spadina and it is not. The line should be shown going diagonally but I guess the TTC is still trying to maintain that the Spadina subway actually runs along Spadina

I'm hoping the TTC don't use centre poles this time after the fiasco with the Fire Chief in respect of St Clair. Staggered alternating side poles would be my suggestion.

Sheppard Avenue East is wider than St. Clair Avenue West. Plus there is currently NO PARKING on Sheppard Avenue East, where the LRT is to go. They could add parking lay-bys without taking away traffic lanes.
cyclestreets13960-size640.jpg

The Sheppard traffic lanes will be wider than the St. Clair traffic lanes, and will remain at minimum of 2 lanes. St. Clair West did not have left turn lanes before the reconstruction, it now has but at a loss of sidewalk space; that will not be a problem with Sheppard.

Having center poles would not be a problem with the wider traffic lanes, so they could use grass on the right-of-way, as they have in light rail right-of-ways in Europe and elsewhere. Using concrete instead of grass should be a last resort.

1667092498_326e9c31a2.jpg

grasstram-ed03.jpg

Last edited:
I thought Emergency Services nixed the idea of grass ROW for the Queens Quay project because it doesn't provide a reliable surface for emergency vehicles.

I personally think those don't look that great (although I suppose they are better than bare concrete). I also wonder about the expense of laying individual blocks versus pouring concrete.

And if they use a slow-growing grass that is also drought tolerant and requires little maintenance, it would help reduce the concrete jungle look we would like to avoid. They can at least experiment with it first on the Queenway to see if it would work or not. It would be nice to see if it would improve the look, at least.

streetcar-4106-04.jpg

Last edited:
And if they use a slow-growing grass that is also drought tolerant and requires little maintenance, it would help reduce the concrete jungle look we would like to avoid. They can at least experiment with it first on the Queenway to see if it would work or not. It would be nice to see if it would improve the look, at least.

streetcar-4106-04.jpg
And what about weeds? I think grass is an awful idea. And the grass will look awful when it does not rain for a while. Grass will require constant maintenance. Concrete is best

I think the Sheppard East LRT should have a good multi-modal station at the Agincourt GO station with the GO train, Sheppard East LRT and the Sheppard East Bus (#85) and then the Sheppard East LRT head south from the Agincourt GO multi-modal station and link up to the other transit hub at Scarborough Town Centre. Sheppard East of the Agincourt GO station would be service by the existing but shortened Sheppard East bus. A bonus of this idea, as well as impoving Scarborough Town Centre hub, would be that the Malvern Bus Garage would not be interfered with an LRT ROW going past it.

Back