News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Sheppard East LRT - Cancel or Continue?

Should construction of the Sheppard East LRT be cancelled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As someone who thinks the funds could be well used in other areas before putting toward an LRT, yes I would vote to can the project and put it toward other projects or a subway.
Hey, if you interpret it THAT way, even I might vote against the project, and use the money instead on a more worth project, like the DRL, or a Don Mills LRT.

One of the *options* on your poll says to build the LRT from Don Mills, correct.
Yes ... essentially as currently planned.
The poll question itself is more generic, and it could certainly include other possible options. Your call, of course; I'm just pointing out that including conversion is not inconstant with the poll question.
The question is "Should construction of the Sheppard East LRT be cancelled?". I'd think that if the project continued, nothing in the question precludes conversion. I'd think if it was cancelled, there would be no point in converting. That's what's in my head anyways ...

Hey, if you interpret it THAT way, even I might vote against the project, and use the money instead on a more worth project, like the DRL, or a Don Mills LRT.
Same here, coupled with doing the same for all TC routes. Let's do what Metrolinx was supposed to have done - figure out what our needs are and then determine how to handle them, rather than starting with a list of projects.

It's not that Sheppard is a bad project per se. But given limited dollars, is it the best use of the money? I think we could find things that would make more of an impact.

Wishful thinking, I know.

Last edited:

Now, you're seeing the light.

A full two-thirds of us STILL support the Subway over the LRT. I guess there aren't as many defeatists as I thought.

A full two-thirds of us STILL support the Subway over the LRT. I guess there aren't as many defeatists as I thought.
It's only been running a few hours ... but I am surprised there are more votes than in that petition after so many weeks.

I still think that spending a lot of effort trying to cancel a transit project with no guarantee that anything would replace it other than the 190 bus is a waste of everyone's time, will only serve as a distraction, and in the unlikely event that it actually does get anywhere, will only worsen transit in this city.

But I wish you luck.

The poll makes it sound like the LRT is under construction. Is it really? (I haven't really been paying attention)

It's only been running a few hours ... but I am surprised there are more votes than in that petition after so many weeks.

I still think that spending a lot of effort trying to cancel a transit project with no guarantee that anything would replace it other than the 190 bus is a waste of everyone's time, will only serve as a distraction, and in the unlikely event that it actually does get anywhere, will only worsen transit in this city.

But I wish you luck.

The effort isn't to cancel a project. It's to replace the SELRT with subway to STC. There IS a difference.

The poll makes it sound like the LRT is under construction. Is it really? (I haven't really been paying attention)
The first contract is a $1-million site preparation for the Agincourt grade separation, service roads, parking lots, etc. And that has started. I'll be the first to admit that it's certainly not past the point of no return yet.

Indeed it is; but you have to do the one to get the other. And you do risk getting the first, without achieving the second.

Personally I pushing for a truncated LRT. Subway till Agincourt for now. Agincourt to STC can come later.

The first contract is a $1-million site preparation for the Agincourt grade separation, service roads, parking lots, etc. And that has started. I'll be the first to admit that it's certainly not past the point of no return yet.

The grade separation is required for improved GO service. It has to be done regardless of whether the LRT is built or not. In fact, as Scarberian pointed out the LRT makes the grade separation even more problematic than if there was a subway there.

Back