280     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 665     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to start a savethishobby group. This is getting way out of hand. I am with Doady, and Niftz. I am pro transit, not pro whatever mode I like.

We ARE pro transit. We're not anti-LRT. We have all said that we support LRT on LRT-appropriate corridors (Hamilton, Hurontario, Finch)

Suit yourself. Nobody is saying you have to join the group. And nobody told you that you have to get on this thread and post useless comments. Troll elsewhere.

This is not trolling. I am telling you straight out: You're making a mockery of this hobby, and the desire to improve transit in this city by assuming that subways are the only answer. You're doing more harm than good with this obsesion with subways.

if replacing the sheppard east LRT with a subway, would it be appropriate to replace the scarb RT with LRT technology that will be used in transit city?

if replacing the sheppard east LRT with a subway, would it be appropriate to replace the scarb RT with LRT technology that will be used in transit city?

Beyond Scarborough Centre, yes. From Kennedy to STC should be subway, and Scarborough Centre should be the interchange between the Sheppard and Danforth lines. SOS believes in extending ALL Toronto subway lines.

Time to start a savethishobby group. This is getting way out of hand. I am with Doady, and Niftz. I am pro transit, not pro whatever mode I like.

The city obviously needs some maglevs. Shanghai has them and Japan is working on them. We are already becoming second rate to other world class cities. Why build 50km of LRT or 10km of subway when you can build 2km of maglev and be future proof. These subway and LRT plans are going to get in the way of maglev plans. Can you imagine how long it will take to ride on a subway from Scarborough Centre to Mississauga Centre. Get things started right and Save Our Maglevs.

PS. We need monorails too. See www.monorails.org for details.

The city obviously needs some maglevs. Shanghai has them and Japan is working on them. We are already becoming second rate to other world class cities. Why build 50km of LRT or 10km of subway when you can build 2km of maglev and be future proof. These subway and LRT plans are going to get in the way of maglev plans. Can you imagine how long it will take to ride on a subway from Scarborough Centre to Mississauga Centre. Get things started right and Save Our Maglevs.

PS. We need monorails too. See www.monorails.org for details.

Is this supposed to be funny? :confused:

This is not trolling. I am telling you straight out: You're making a mockery of this hobby, and the desire to improve transit in this city by assuming that subways are the only answer. You're doing more harm than good with this obsesion with subways.

That's fine. Leave us to our obsession. Nobody is forcing you to troll in this thread. The mod has already sanctioned nfitz for just such behaviour. If you want to debate us on the merits of our proposals, the other Transit City threads are appropriate forums and we are willing to engage you there.

I think focusing on Scarborough is a good start. It makes it easy to build a targeted campaign. And it makes for a nice sellable map. Just zoom in on mid and north Scarborough and show the Sheppard and Bloor-Danforth extension to STC and BRT/LRTs branching off to Malvern on Sheppard and Progress.

Is this supposed to be funny? :confused:

No. It's sad.

The city obviously needs more subways. Other cities our size outside North American have more. We are already becoming second rate to other world class cities. Why build a longer length of LRT when you can build a shorter length of subway and be future proof. These LRT plans are going to get in the way of subway plans. Can you imagine how long it will take to ride on a LRT from Scarborough Centre to York U. Get things started right and Save Our Subways.

Did I get it right?

Last edited:
No. It's sad.

The city obviously needs more subways. Other cities our size outside North American have more. We are already becoming second rate to other world class cities. Why build a longer length of LRT when you can build a shorter length of subway and be future proof. These LRT plans are going to get in the way of subway plans. Can you imagine how long it will take to ride on a LRT from Scarborough Centre to York U. Get things started right and Save Our Subways.

Did I get it right?

Yeah it's a sad day when citizens have to advocate for better from their government. But that's just the way it is. All the great accomplishments of the world didn't occur by people standing still and being quiet and being told to shut up because you should be happy with what you're getting.

Did gays take "civil unions" and say "oh ok, it's almost marriage, but not quite, but we get most of what we wanted, so we'll stop there". No, they pushed for full marriage. And it may only be legal in a few states, but the tide has already turned.

^ LOL. Even for me comparing subway advocacy to gay rights was a stretch! Well intentioned comparison though!

Beyond Scarborough Centre, yes. From Kennedy to STC should be subway, and Scarborough Centre should be the interchange between the Sheppard and Danforth lines. SOS believes in extending ALL Toronto subway lines.

would it make sense to realign the SRT (if made a subway) and change station locations?

i'd like to see a map with your proposals, location of lines and stations regarding sheppard line and RT conversion so i can get a better idea of improvement ideas for that area. a google maps or google earth overlay would be nice.

also, please advocate extending the sheppard line west to meet up with the spadina line.

Last edited:
^ LOL. Even for me comparing subway advocacy to gay rights was a stretch! Well intentioned comparison though!

I use the example because it relates to me. When I was a young gay, I thought civil unions were fine, we didn't need actual marriage. I believed that until the day Ontario became the first jurisdiction in Canada (and North America) to have gay marriage. That's when I realized the gay rights advocates were right: we couldn't let ourselves be treated like second-class citizens.

Now I'm not saying LRT is second-class. I like taking the streetcar in Europe, I also like taking the metro. But LRT should implemented on lines where it makes sense. LRT isn't meant to be the backbone of a network in a city like Toronto. We have our backbone, it's the subway. And the subway isn't going anywhere. But the only subway expansion plans are ones put forth by York Region. We need an aggressive subway expansion strategy to see this city into the 22nd century. Especially after 40 years of falling behind on the subway front.

Yeah it's a sad day when citizens have to advocate for better from their government.

But there is always something better. The Transit City plan is the most significant plan in ages with funding but it seems to create more demands from people than having no plan at all ever did. I think that is why Chretien was such a successful Prime Minister. He had no plans and did nothing and nobody gets up in arms about nothing. Doing something seems to lead to people wanting more. Had nobody built the Sheppard subway there would probably be very few caring about a subway on Sheppard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back