News   Jul 18, 2024
 891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

Sammy Yatim Shooting

Okay then, if a cop was heard to say something equal to "there are some people the world is better off without", and was later engaged in an incident like this then they should be under extra suspicion.

If that were the case, then perhaps one might wonder if there was some sort of underlying prejudice. But he didn't say that. So what's the point of going there?

No...what you said earlier is relevant. He apparently did make the threat to the effect that if he moves closer he was going to die.

But making that threat, and carrying it out are within his job description, and he was there doing his job.

My take is speculation, but no more fiction than your assertions that this officer acted because he felt immediate threat from someone standing twenty feet away inside a streetcar up a set of stairs.

Your take was based purely on the state of mind of a person you know nothing about. So in other words, you made it all up. That's what fiction is.

Again...please stop claiming Sammy was not a threat, because that is absurd.

Sammy needed to be contained within the streetcar. Letting him escape the streetcar would be unthinkable. The officer warned him to that effect while aiming his gun at him. So when he made the move for the door, he was shot. Everything that happened fell within procedures. Yet you think it is more plausible that the contact officer got up that morning with the idea he was going to blow some kid away for kicks? Com'on.

Your take was based purely on the state of mind of a person you know nothing about.
I know he killed an 18-year-old by shooting him nine times when that was unnecessary. Not a normal state of mind.

Again...please stop claiming Sammy was not a threat, because that is absurd.
He wasn't an immediate threat that he needed to be shot that minute. There was no reason to shoot him because he took a step forward, because he wouldn't follow the letter of the officer's demands.

Sammy needed to be contained within the streetcar. Letting him escape the streetcar would be unthinkable. The officer warned him to that effect while aiming his gun at him. So when he made the move for the door, he was shot. Everything that happened fell within procedures.
Sammy was closer to the officer, standing in the doorway, when he called him a pussy. Then he stepped further back into the car and the officer made his ultimatum. So at the point he was shot he was further away than he had been less than a minute before. Nothing says that because he stepped forward he was trying to exit the streetcar.

Yet you think it is more plausible that the contact officer got up that morning with the idea he was going to blow some kid away for kicks? Com'on.
Where did I state that? Now who's writing fiction? I think that it is plausible that this particular officer might be more of an aggressive, argumentative hothead than your average officer. That's based on him being the only one out of 23 officers present who chose to blow a kid away (shooting him nine times, six times while he lay on the floor) before attempting other means of controlling the situation.

Last edited:
Can you describe just how a guy lying on the ground, spasming, is going to suddenly get up, wander down a flight of stairs, and attack someone with a knife. Because I just can't picture any realistic scenario where this could happen.

Is that a clinical determination?

I'm just asking because the video shows Sammy falling below the window line and beyond the door opening. I have not seen a video that clearly shows what Sammy is doing after falling to the ground, we are assuming.

If Sammy were high on cocaine, which is probable given his recent social network activity, he would have had high pain tolerance and physical strength.

I know he killed an 18-year-old by shooting him nine times when that was unnecessary.

You know he killed an 18 year old (why the age matters is a mystery, he was an adult)
You know he fired his gun 9 times
You do not know that it was unnecessary. There is no conclusive evidence to suggest he was doing anything other than the job he was there to do, in compliance with the training he was provided to deal with this situation.

Someone was obviously not in their right mind that night....and that was Sammy.

He wasn't an immediate threat

Of course he was....this is not even in dispute.

There was no reason to shoot him because he took a step forward, because he wouldn't follow the letter of the officer's demands.

As has already been pointed out, there was a very good reason.

Nothing says that because he stepped forward he was trying to exit the streetcar.

We will never know, because the police aren't trained to gamble. It is the contact officer's responsibility to contain the threat. Any move to escape or close the gap would be met with lethal force.

I think that it is plausible that this particular officer might be more of an aggressive, argumentative hothead than your average officer. That's based on him being the only one out of 23 officers present who chose to blow a kid away

Again, you just don't know enough about police procedures to make such an assessment. It normal in these scenarios for one officer to take the lead as the contact officer, with the other officers in the role of back up. It's also not unusual for one officer to shoot in this kind of situation, as one officer usually has the best line of fire. This was the case in this scenario. So much for your theory

Right...so you are one of those people who has no respect for law enforcement. That makes you a part of the problem...not the solution AFIIK.
I have a lot of respect for law enforcement.

I have no respect for "law enforcement" that doesn't respect the laws. This shooting was clearly very bad. Anyone with half a brain can see this. That anyone could be so utterly disrespectful of law enforcement to start to suggest that this was proper procedure is very sad ... and is clearly part of the problem ... not the solution.

Listen to this man. It's thanks to fine upstanding citizens like Mr. Scott Dennis here that our lands remain free,
Am I missing something? What does that corrupt police officer like Scott Dennis have to do with this? Scott Dennis is clearly a very mentally ill individual. Surely freshcutcrass isn't going to be defending someone like Dennis.

I'm just asking because the video shows Sammy falling below the window line and beyond the door opening. I have not seen a video that clearly shows what Sammy is doing after falling to the ground, we are assuming.
I thought someone had described how he was lying on the floor with one of his feet or something still in view, twitching.

Either way he was clearly down. Common sense dictates you simply take a step back, and see if he's in any shape to start following you. With 20+ other police officers on the scene, it's not like the officer was in any danger.

I thought someone had described how he was lying on the floor with one of his feet or something still in view, twitching.

Either way he was clearly down. Common sense dictates you simply take a step back, and see if he's in any shape to start following you. With 20+ other police officers on the scene, it's not like the officer was in any danger.

So a twitching foot is an indicator for death... We simply do not know. Where did the shots hit Sammy, how many hit him, how can you claim that Sammy WAS dead based on a twitching foot?

... I've acknowledged that lethal force was probably necessary at an earlier point.
Now that I've actually watched the videos (I confess I was relying on various reports previously, not having any desire to see the graphic video), I'm even less convinced that lethal force was necessary. I'd assume the officer fired because he was fairly close to the Yatim, and the knife was an imminent danger. I'd assume the office had made an error of getting partially into the streetcar with Yatim.

I was surprised to see in the video that Yatim at all times remained on the main deck of the streetcar, didn't try and go down the stairs, and the officers were well back from the streetcar. The officer who fired was a fair distance back from the door, and no one was in immenent danger. This makes the second volley of 6 bullets even more shocking!

Given the location of the officer who fired, it seems to me that he would have accomplished a lot more, simply to have pressed the button on the front of the streetcar that he was very close to when he fired, that closes the front door. This would have allowed more time to descalate the situation.

The problem isn't the 20 feet. That distance cannot be maintained indefinitely.

And why is that? Do the Toronto police have some sort of quota in terms of the time required to deal with an armed individual? There was absolutely no urgent need to immediately resolve(which was 6 seconds) the situation once Sammy was felled. If he stood up again that is one thing, but being in that position he's not any threat to the public or the officers surrounding him.

Someone has to approach him and get him into custody.

Which is what the supervising officer accomplished a mere 40 seconds after the initial 3 shots that felled Sammy, somehow magically accomplishing this without having to resort to shooting him despite his apparent possession of the knife.

Even after all 9 shots are fired, the approaching officer with the taser (I assume the supervising officer since they are the ones who carry tasers) decides to tase him. This is interesting. You can hear them still saying drop the knife. If he still has the knife, and there is no way to tell how incapacitated he is (just because you are laying there doesn't mean you can't cause harm if approached at close distance), the officer could consider this still a case of using lethal force to take him into custody, as he could easily still be considered a deadly threat. The point I am making is, that it's possible this officer could have shot him, rather than tase him, as the use of a lower level force option, like the taser, in a deadly force encounter can be a dangerous proposition.

Perhaps the supervising officer could of considered that Sammy was a threat requiring lethal force to subdue, especially since he was far closer to the suspect than officer Forcillo ever was prior to that point. But to the contrary he didn't make that determination instead choosing to use a less lethal means of disabling him. So what changed? Sammy may have been hit by up to 6 additional shoots, or he may have been hit by none. Still the most important considerations did not change; That he is still in the same position on the ground of the streetcar and he was still apparently somehow holding the knife. So why did officer Forcillo determine he could not wait any longer and needed apply lethal force to immediately subdue the suspect? I'm eagerly awaiting to hear officer Forcillo's statements on the matter.

You're being very selective about when you choose to let those who might have a clue make determinations.

Neither do I. But which expectations are you defending?

My comment was in response to yours about blaming the officer;
You can't blame the cop who was there just trying to his job

As you are no doubt aware, my general feeling is that the subsequent 6 shot were not necessary at that point based on the evidence we have available, which while not telling us everything we need to know, is none the less very substantial. Therefore I'm of the opinion that there is some fault to be had. The question which remains to be answered is whether or not officer Forcillo was acting on impulse or if he was simply applying one of the options available to him according to police protocol's for such a situation. Not being acquainted with police regulations a I cannot make a determination on where that fault lies. Which is why I said it will be up to the SIU and subsequently the justice system to determine if the fault lies with officer Forcillo.

Also, it may seem insignificant to you in light of the fact that I've acknowledged that lethal force was probably necessary at an earlier point. But I absolutely do not agree with the police shooting a wounded individual lying on the ground in no position to immediately threaten anyone and who could still be saved, simply because that individual is no longer physically capable of responding to their commands due to grievous injury's already sustained and because such a situation must seemingly be resolved with the utmost expediency.

Hey...I live in a city that voted in Rob Ford for its mayor...so go ahead and ask me what I think of the opinions of the uninformed public. Those protesting probably fall into three categories.....grieving family and friends, those who just have hostility towards law enforcement in general, and people acting on emotion and uninformed opinion.

I shouldn't even respond this. Your comparing politics to the death of an individual, which is just absurd. The only thing they have in common is that they happened in the same city. So then you must think this city is filled with a bunch of idiots and nutters then? Is that about right? Would that include yourself, assuming you live in the city? And does that just apply exclusively to Toronto? Don't even answer that, because you missed the point altogether. The fact that there are large organized protests to begin with is telling. It signifies a degradation of public trust in the police force. Regardless of their motives that's not exactly a good thing. But keep on living in your little bubble world thinking that the opinions of these people don't matter and that the erosion of trust in our police forces won't have any negative effects on our society as a whole.

Last edited:
But I absolutely do not agree with the police shooting a wounded individual lying on the ground in no position to immediately threaten anyone and who could still be saved, simply because that individual is no longer physically capable of responding to their commands due to grievous injury's already sustained and because such a situation must seemingly be resolved with the utmost expediency.

Do you know why you, and a whole lot of other people feel the same way? Because you are looking at this purely in hindsight. And that is not how this issue is going to be investigated. This is addition to the fact that most people have no clue to protocols or facts regarding these situations and are acting out emotionally.

I shouldn't even respond this

You should have taken your own advice

Now that I've actually watched the videos (I confess I was relying on various reports previously, not having any desire to see the graphic video), I'm even less convinced that lethal force was necessary. I'd assume the officer fired because he was fairly close to the Yatim, and the knife was an imminent danger. I'd assume the office had made an error of getting partially into the streetcar with Yatim.

I was surprised to see in the video that Yatim at all times remained on the main deck of the streetcar, didn't try and go down the stairs, and the officers were well back from the streetcar. The officer who fired was a fair distance back from the door, and no one was in immenent danger. This makes the second volley of 6 bullets even more shocking!

Given the location of the officer who fired, it seems to me that he would have accomplished a lot more, simply to have pressed the button on the front of the streetcar that he was very close to when he fired, that closes the front door. This would have allowed more time to descalate the situation.

I am not sure if anyone would know how to close the door, other than the driver.

I imagine that the officer would have 2 ways of sensing danger; either to him personally, or of the streetcar being highjacked since the driver left in a rush and potentially left it "idling" in the street.

I am not sure if anyone would know how to close the door, other than the driver.
What do you mean? Surely everyone in the city who regularly rides the streetcar knows how to close the door ... you see drivers doing it every day.

In particular, I'd assume emergency services for the city are trained on how to open and close something that they would need to access at some point.

I imagine that the officer would have 2 ways of sensing danger; either to him personally, or of the streetcar being highjacked since the driver left in a rush and potentially left it "idling" in the street.
So you don't think a trained professional would know where a button is that is pretty clear ... but you expect a kid on drugs to suddenly know how to start a streetcar in motion??

no one was in immenent danger.

I wish people would quit saying that.

As the Tueller drill clearly proves, you can indeed bring a knife to a gun fight...and win.

The average knife-weilding suspect can cover 14 feet/second. In 2 or 3 seconds, Sammy could have been within striking distance of not only officers, but the people mulling around the streetcar. That's why there is no officer that would have let him make a move for the exit.

Sammy was without a doubt, an immanent threat.

Back