News   Jul 18, 2024
 890     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 794     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

Sammy Yatim Shooting

I think this is a clear cut case of justified lethal force.

Yes. So clear-cut that we are 200 posts deep in discussion. So clear-cut that the public has actually taken to demonstrating against the police. So clear-cut that you are one of the very few people defending the policeman's actions.

It does matter because simply clutching a knife but being no position to use it against anyone is not enough justification to essentially apply the ultimate penalty.

Give us just one example where a knife wielding suspect was shot, fell to the ground and subsequently, from his position on the ground, managed to physically harm someone stand 20 feet away.

The problem isn't the 20 feet. That distance cannot be maintained indefinitely. Someone has to approach him and get him into custody. If he is still armed, he is still considered a deadly threat, as wounded people are still capable of using a weapon.

The iffy question here is whether the 6 second delay between the first 3 shots and the last 6 shots constitutes 2 completely different shooting incidents. And if so, did the second shooting incident meet the requirement for the use of lethal force. Determining this will not rely on hind sight, as most of the public is doing, but through careful consideration of the mindset, interpretation and articulation of the threat by the contact officer and the other officers on site at the time.

Even after all 9 shots are fired, the approaching officer with the taser (I assume the supervising officer since they are the ones who carry tasers) decides to tase him. This is interesting. You can hear them still saying drop the knife. If he still has the knife, and there is no way to tell how incapacitated he is (just because you are laying there doesn't mean you can't cause harm if approached at close distance), the officer could consider this still a case of using lethal force to take him into custody, as he could easily still be considered a deadly threat. The point I am making is, that it's possible this officer could have shot him, rather than tase him, as the use of a lower level force option, like the taser, in a deadly force encounter can be a dangerous proposition.

I'll let the SIU and our legal system ultimately make that determination.

You're being very selective about when you choose to let those who might have a clue make determinations.

But I see no reason at this point to disregard the possibility that the officer acted in a manner inconstant with the public's expectations.

Neither do I. But which expectations are you defending?

And if you don't think that's the case, then tell me when was the last time you saw thousands of people protesting in the streets of Toronto after a police shooting.

Hey...I live in a city that voted in Rob Ford for its mayor...so go ahead and ask me what I think of the opinions of the uninformed public. Those protesting probably fall into three categories.....grieving family and friends, those who just have hostility towards law enforcement in general, and people acting on emotion and uninformed opinion.

The problem isn't the 20 feet. That distance cannot be maintained indefinitely. Someone has to approach him and get him into custody. If he is still armed, he is still considered a deadly threat, as wounded people are still capable of using a weapon.
Capable of using a weapon, lying on the ground with 3 bullets in them, with their body shaking in spasms?

So if I understand you, the remaining 6 bullets and the tasering were for the benefit of Yatim, so that the paramedics could get to him faster? If so, that seems rather sadistic.

Capable of using a weapon, lying on the ground with 3 bullets in them, with their body shaking in spasms?

Yes

So if I understand you, the remaining 6 bullets and the tasering were for the benefit of Yatim, so that the paramedics could get to him faster? If so, that seems rather sadistic.

Yes...it's all part of a sadistic plan by law enforcement.

Now you know why clueless, emotionally driven public opinion is to be ignored.

I totally understand the perspective that there ought to be more empathy with what police officers go through psychologically when dealing with crisis situations given the training they receive and being in "the heat of the moment". We shouldn't assume that police officers behaving badly are necessarily bad people intending to do bad things.

But you are just as far on your side of being coldly clinical about what is right and wrong on this as some people who are outraged by what happened that night.

Emotionally driven public opinion is not clueless. It is clued in to the lived of experience of being a policed citizen, of living with mental illness, of living with addiction, of using drugs recreationally, of being a minority, of having family members who have been treated harshly by the police, and on and on and on... That is not to be ignored. It is a very real and valid reaction that arises from a very human process of reasoning (the same process that may have led to this tragic outcome).

Just because the officer in this situation may have acted within his legal and normative rights under the law and with respect to his training, it doesn't mean that nothing should change after this.

But you are just as far on your side of being coldly clinical about what is right and wrong on this as some people who are outraged by what happened that night.

An informed, objective, detailed analysis is the only way this is going to be investigated by those responsible for doing so. I'm quite content with the "side" I happen to lean toward. thanks

Emotionally driven public opinion is not clueless. It is clued in to the lived of experience of being a policed citizen, of living with mental illness, of living with addiction, of using drugs recreationally, of being a minority, of having family members who have been treated harshly by the police, and on and on and on... That is not to be ignored. It is a very real and valid reaction that arises from a very human process of reasoning (the same process that may have led to this tragic outcome).

What possible valid form of reasoning would conclude that this was a racially based execution, or some form of sadistically based police brutality as many are saying? Lynch mob mentality cannot be tolerated.

Just because the officer in this situation may have acted within his legal and normative rights under the law and with respect to his training, it doesn't mean that nothing should change after this.

I couldn't agree more. If this incident results in the improvement of law enforcement training, all the better. Same as an investigation after every plane crash leads to some form of safety improvement.

But the bulk of the "outrage" is based on silly assumptions that are never going to change as an outcome of any investigation into police training. A lot of people say silly things like he was no threat to anyones safety, and you don't shoot people who "only" have knives. Crap like that.

Can you describe just how a guy lying on the ground, spasming, is going to suddenly get up, wander down a flight of stairs, and attack someone with a knife. Because I just can't picture any realistic scenario where this could happen.

Don't be silly.

Toronto's police force does this kind of mindless shooting time and time again. It's no wonder that many people hold the police in contempt, given how incompetent, corrupt, and lazy many appear to be.

Last edited:
Reasons I believe murder should be fully considered and investigated by prosecutors:

1. Immediately prior to the shooting someone, most likely the shooting officer, made a threat towards the victim. "Take another step forward and you die."

2. The six shots afterward into a body laying on the floor exhibit either malice or unchecked aggression.

3. The initial shooting was unnecessary because there was little immediate threat to anyone. There were other options.

In his attempts to absolve the officer of any guilt, freshcutgrass stated early in this thread that "some people don't deserve to live". If anyone could testify that this officer was heard to say anything like this, either before or after the incident, particularly if it was directed towards criminals or any disadvantaged group, this would also be reason to pursue murder charges.

My take? This officer may not have been one of the force's better hires to begin with. May be one of those driven by testosterone, 'roids and a need to be the big man. When the kid taunted him by calling him a pussy, the two locked antlers and the tussle became personal. Cop made an ultimatum drawing a completely arbitrary line that the kid had been in front of thirty seconds earlier. When the kid defied that command and stepped forward, cop reacted, thinking with little but rage and ego, and squeezed the trigger. Murder? Manslaughter? I don't know. Should we expect better from our police? Absolutely.

Can you describe just how a guy lying on the ground, spasming, is going to suddenly get up, wander down a flight of stairs, and attack someone with a knife. Because I just can't picture any realistic scenario where this could happen.

Great...next time you can volunteer to go take the knife out of his hand.

Except they wouldn't let you, as their priority is too keep you and themselves safe from harm. You keep thinking Sammy's well being has some kind of priority here, when it doesn't.

Toronto's police force does this kind of mindless shooting time and time again. It's no wonder that many people hold the police in contempt, given how incompetent, corrupt, and lazy many appear to be.

Right...so you are one of those people who has no respect for law enforcement. That makes you a part of the problem...not the solution AFIIK.

Great...next time you can volunteer to go take the knife out of his hand.

Except they wouldn't let you, as their priority is too keep you and themselves safe from harm. You keep thinking Sammy's well being has some kind of priority here, when it doesn't.

Right...so you are one of those people who has no respect for law enforcement. That makes you a part of the problem...not the solution AFIIK.

Listen to this man. It's thanks to fine upstanding citizens like Mr. Scott Dennis here that our lands remain free, untainted, and not overrun by the forces of Al Qaida. You honour us with your vigilance and conviction. Your Presidential Medal of Freedom is being prepared as we speak. Canada salutes you.

freshcutgrass stated early in this thread that "some people don't deserve to live".

If you are going to quote someone, then actually quote them. This is what I said....

The truth is, there are some people the world is better off without. One less knife-weilding nutjob with a death wish riding a streetcar I take regularly.

If you guys are allowed your emotional response, then so am I. Except my contempt is for the POS criminal that was Sammy. I'm just glad he is no longer a danger to anyone. This doesn't exactly translate into him not deserving to live....but who cares.

Your take is just pure fiction.

Listen to this man. It's thanks to fine upstanding citizens like Mr. Scott Dennis here that our lands remain free, untainted, and not overrun by the forces of Al Qaida. You honour us with your vigilance and conviction. Your Presidential Medal of Freedom is being prepared as we speak. Canada salutes you.

You were doing fine until you blew it with the "presidential" bit.

Next time put a little more effort into it. I do appreciate good sarcasm.

Okay then, if a cop was heard to say something equal to "there are some people the world is better off without", and was later engaged in an incident like this then they should be under extra suspicion. Such a sentiment may be common in our forces for all I know, but it's unacceptable.

Sorry, should have got the actual quote, but wasn't up to searching through all these pages. Seem to recall you saying something like this a couple times, but the words you quoted were the post I was thinking of.

My take is speculation, but no more fiction than your assertions that this officer acted because he felt immediate threat from someone standing twenty feet away inside a streetcar up a set of stairs.

Back