News   Jun 06, 2024
 522     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 459     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Not to mention the plan for Yonge/Gould would be set up like what went up at Bay/Dundas. I wouldnt call that a failure. The area is actually busy now and looks great! (provided that you dont look up)

It's prob busy during the day, but not at night.

In order for Yonge st. to be busy at night, the only way to do that is to have restaurants, bars and clubs open on the strip, not offices and such. Just look at how busy Ryerson itself is at night, not much.

It's prob busy during the day, but not at night.

In order for Yonge st. to be busy at night, the only way to do that is to have restaurants, bars and clubs open on the strip, not offices and such. Just look at how busy Ryerson itself is at night, not much.

Its not only Ryerson on that property. Canadian Tire, Best Buy, and the entire Eaton Centre occupy it. There are tonnes of restaraunts along Yonge and in the immediate area to choose from already. Yonge is busy enough at night. It needs to be more busy during the morning and afternoon when everyone is at work... Ryerson can help with that time period.

Its not only Ryerson on that property. Canadian Tire, Best Buy, and the entire Eaton Centre occupy it. There are tonnes of restaraunts along Yonge and in the immediate area to choose from already. Yonge is busy enough at night. It needs to be more busy during the morning and afternoon when everyone is at work... Ryerson can help with that time period.

I was talking about the Ryerson at Victoria, not the one on Bay. Oh yeah, if it's not for Best Buy and Cdn Tire, that area won't be that busy at night. Even now that they are there, it's not that busy at night.

Lots of eateries, but not restaurants around Yonge and Dundas. Where do people hang out at night on Yonge St.? Pizza Pizza? Even though I hate Pickel Barrel's food, they did a good job with its sport bar. We need more of those for people to hang out after work and through the midnight hours.

As a graduate of Ryerson (10 years ago) I have no problem with them branding their buildings with "RU". The buildings blend into the cityscape and it's not obvious to casual passersby that some of them are even part of Ryerson. Clear branding unifies the campus. Also, the "U" should help put to rest that annoying "is that a real university" question that still lurks around 15 years after the fact. I know U of T doesn't have to do this, but hey, they're U of T, with century-old buildings that dominate the landscape and speak for themselves. Ryerson just can't have any impact without making a bit of effort.

For those who dislike the new Dundas Square, Toronto Life, and Bay/Dundas developments, I urge you to honestly think back 15 years. When I started Ryerson the surrounding areas were quite frightening: the World's Biggest Jean store was a towering menace with prostitutes working out of the top floor; rows of crumbling facades housed fly-by-night clothes stores, dodgy takeout food, and video arcades doubling as drug dealer hangouts. Petty criminals and gangbangers lurked in the Eaton Center atrium, glaring at everyone who entered. I can't say I miss those days.

The improvements over the past decade have been slow, but much needed. The purchase of Sam's is another step in the right direction, in my opinion. I have fond memories of CD shopping there, but let's face it, the building is an eyesore and whatever replaces it will probably be a vast improvement. There's much more room for optimism here than pessimism, I think.

Ryerson doesn't belong on Yonge Street, and now we're going to be stuck with a big gap there for years until it decides what ugly precast building to put up. Yonge Street is a commercial strip and with the completion of Dundas Square/TLS and developments at Yonge/Bloor coming to fruition the demand for better quality retail space on Yonge between Queen and Bloor is going to be enormous. Anyway, I don't see why Ryerson doesn't consider Church street to be its 'gateway', if it feels it so sorely needs one. Lots of potential there on a somewhat nebulous street of Church to brand a large stretch of it for its own purposes.

The Ryerson Business building was an example of good idea (retail at bottom) but poor architecutre, but you have to be mindful that this was largely Cadillac Fairview calling the shots, and that there's a three floor parking garage between the classrooms and Canadian Tire doesn't help.

Ryerson is also capable of good architecture - how do people here forget about Heslop House? Maybe because it is in the shadow of Metropolis.

I have some hope that Ryerson can do better here. After all, Concordia has buildings on Ste-Catharine, Montreal's version of Yonge, and they work fine.

re: Ryerson signage

I have no problem with well designed, tasteful signage - but really, the impression they make is only as good as whatever it is tacked on...and Jorgenson or Architecture Building IMO spoils the brand.

While I wouldn't want to see Ryerson occupy the entire stretch of storefronts on the east side of Yonge south of Gerrard, having "portal" buildings at the intersections is a very good idea. Gerrard and Gould stands out as two distinct possiblities.

AoD

Lots of eateries, but not restaurants around Yonge and Dundas. Where do people hang out at night on Yonge St.? Pizza Pizza? Even though I hate Pickel Barrel's food, they did a good job with its sport bar. We need more of those for people to hang out after work and through the midnight hours.

I think the Asian restaurants between Gould and Gerrard Streets are a good start. I tried out 'Made In China' next to the Korean Grill House a few months ago. They had a very affordable all-day 'Lunch' deal which was very tasty.

Don't forget Salad King!

After all, Concordia has buildings on Ste-Catharine, Montreal's version of Yonge, and they work fine.

I was going to mention some of the new Concordia buildings earlier in this thread, because I was impressed by their designs. However from what I saw in photos it doesn't look like any of the new buildings include street retail. Can any of you confirm this?

Anyway, I don't see why Ryerson doesn't consider Church street to be its 'gateway', if it feels it so sorely needs one. Lots of potential there on a somewhat nebulous street of Church to brand a large stretch of it for its own purposes.

That will take a lot of work. The Architecture Building will have to go, first of all. Then you would need to punch a couple more entrances into the side of Kerr Hall East.

That will take a lot of work. The Architecture Building will have to go, first of all. Then you would need to punch a couple more entrances into the side of Kerr Hall East.

To me, it makes so much more sense for Ryerson to expand eastward rather than westward towards Yonge. The stretch of Church between Dundas and Carleton could be the main central artery and could serve as a sort of 'St. George St.' north/south central thoroughfare. Add some ceremonial-type gates on the north/south ends and buy/appropriate more buildings/lots east of Church as they become available. A small portal on Yonge is fine but isn't Gould a sort of portal to begin with?

While I wouldn't want to see Ryerson occupy the entire stretch of storefronts on the east side of Yonge south of Gerrard, having "portal" buildings at the intersections is a very good idea. Gerrard and Gould stands out as two distinct possiblities.

I tend to agree. I think that it is only necessary and would be an opportunity lost not to incorporate some sort of gateway or portal to the campus from Yonge. St. I wouldn't imagine that the area would fall apart due to the fact that it is no longer commercial, in fact it would create a new dynamic for the immediate spaces surrounding the portal.

I also think that if expansion is a necessity, which it seems it is, then expanding towards the east makes the most sense. There is a lot of a potential in that area, not to mention it doesn't seem like Ryerson has defined borders or specific edges of its campus just yet.

p5

I think the Asian restaurants between Gould and Gerrard Streets are a good start. I tried out 'Made In China' next to the Korean Grill House a few months ago. They had a very affordable all-day 'Lunch' deal which was very tasty.

Don't forget Salad King!

Yup, good start...but so far, only a handful of restaurants in the whole downtown, and that's not alot. They need more and some bars as well.

The Yonge Street strip would be a good candidate area for a few clubs if the City ever changes its ill-thought "club land only" laws.

there are a few (not enough) clubs in yorkville, no? they are "lounges" by name, but might as well be clubs. yonge street could also use some clubs around dundas and college!

There is definitly a difference between "lounge" and "club" according to the City of Toronto Entertainment District By-Law (not sure of it's official name, but that will do). Lounges can open anywhere, provided they get a liquor license etc. A club can only open in the entertainment district. A club means dancefloor as it's main focus. Not sure how exactly they define that, but likely a dancefloor comprising X% of the useable space, or maybe even a dancefloor period, irregardless of size. Anyone know?

Yorkville may be a good place for some clubs, but Yonge, and the sidestreets just off of Yonge would definitly be a great place for clubs. Only problem is that the general public will equate clubs with gun violence, and not want more of that on an already troubled Yonge Street. Expect public opposition to a Yonge Street club.

ONTARIO INVESTS IN NEW STUDENT LEARNING CENTRE AT RYERSON
McGuinty Government Supports Students And A Strong Economy
TORONTO — Ontario is investing in a new library and student centre at Ryerson University.

The new Student Learning Centre will feature the new technologies and tools students need to help Ontario compete globally. Ontario will invest $45 million in the project.

"Ontario's highly skilled people make our province one of the best places in the world to invest," said Premier McGuinty. "By investing in the skills and knowledge of students at Ryerson and across Ontario, we can help Ontario compete and win."

This project is part of the $1.4-billion infrastructure investment outlined in the government's fall economic statement. The investment will help improve Ontario's competitiveness and stimulate job creation and economic growth.

"Ryerson's new student centre is a perfect fit for this neighbourhood — it will give the school an exciting gateway to Yonge Street and help revitalize Toronto," said Toronto Centre MPP George Smitherman.

Ryerson's new student centre will be located at the corner of Yonge and Gould Streets. Once built, the new centre could help more students attend the university.

The demand for first-year spots at Ryerson is increasing faster than the provincial average. More than 30,000 students attend Ryerson in over 95 PhD, master's and undergraduate programs.

Back