News   Mar 28, 2024
 183     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

The city should be designed around the transit methods of its population. If for example, 50% of the people use cars in the city, then they should get a good portion of the design input.

Well I highly doubt that 50% of Toronto is using a bike as a primary mode of transportation, and certainly not in the winter or in the rain. There should definately be bike-friendly routes around town, but this should not be the prime consideration along major arteries.

Roncesvalles Renewed-2009

As of 2009, presumably, we will see the replacement of streetcar tracks on Roncesvalles, and most likely in conjunction with this project the complete renewal of the street proper. There are have been a number of meetings, none of which I knew about until a week ago, where ratepayer groups, neighborhood groups etc., have laid out concepts for the project. From the looks of it, I think there has been quite some thought put into it.

Please find more information here:

http://www.roncesvallesvillage.ca/index.php?l=roncesvalles-renewed

p5

Sorry just realized that this was posted in the Toronto Issues section. I thought because it was an infrastructure project that this would be the right place. Obviously not!

p5

Typically, we seem to have forgotten that we live in a northern climate. That streetcar looks to have about 3" of ground clearance, which will make it a great plow in the winter. Also, those bump outs will be buried in snow when the snow plows come along, more so than just the normal sidewalk.

Instead of 2 lanes of snow being shoved to the sidewalk, it would be 1 lane at the bumpouts. Less snow.
No, you'll have two lanes of snow suddenly funneled into a one lane opening, thus, snow from two lanes now needs to be pushed into a smaller one lane area, and thus the bump out will suffer.

I don't see why these bump outs are needed. We've had street cars and the automobile sharing the same roads for over a hundred years now, and IMO it works well enough.

from http://www.roncesvallesvillage.ca/index.php?l=roncesvalles-renewed
boarding.jpg
OK, I'm satisfied with the cycling issue now but there still is the issue of left turns bottle necking the vehicular traffic. Maybe a good old no left turn sign. That would piss off drivers.

The photo below shows the kind of bumpout that I would prefer to see on Roncesvalles. It would allow better access for the elderly and handicapped to board low-floor LRVs. It would slow the cyclists, and have them go behind the LRV riders, instead of cutting them off between the curb and the LFLRV.

portland14.JPG

However, I would prefer the bollards not to be so thick, and maybe not so many, as in the above photo, please.

The city should be designed around the transit methods of its population. If for example, 50% of the people use cars in the city, then they should get a good portion of the design input.

I'm not so sure if this democratic reasoning is absolutely applicable when it comes to transportation. The city should be designed around the most efficient uses of available road space, since land is finite and expensive. It should be designed so that people are encouraged to use that most efficient option.

The photo below shows the kind of bumpout that I would prefer to see on Roncesvalles. It would allow better access for the elderly and handicapped to board low-floor LRVs. It would slow the cyclists, and have them go behind the LRV riders, instead of cutting them off between the curb and the LFLRV.

portland14.JPG

However, I would prefer the bollards not to be so thick, and maybe not so many, as in the above photo, please.

That a small bumpout where Roncesvalles will be 100' long.

The idea of using the bumpout was to eliminate the issue of accessibility for the new LRT's and in the centre of the road.

It will slow the cyclists down, but how many will be effected by this compare to riders using TTC?

Since the platform will be longer, it will spread the riders out since all doors will be use on the new LRT's compare to today operation.

No need for the bollards.

portland14.JPG

Where is this photo from? It interests me since there is no over-head wires.

Back