News   Apr 26, 2024
 38     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 398     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

Trees

Thanx drum for the ttc routing info. Roncey is my favorite street in TO, it's the jewel of the city to me. I really hope during the reno that they can keep the trees just as they are, it makes the street so inviting.

I've noticed lately that the parking authority or green hornets as some still call them, have had a real parking ticket blitz in the area (most likely to get the quota or whatever spin the city gives because of the closure for such a long period). Be warned

Thanx drum for the ttc routing info. Roncey is my favorite street in TO, it's the jewel of the city to me. I really hope during the reno that they can keep the trees just as they are, it makes the street so inviting.

I've noticed lately that the parking authority or green hornets as some still call them, have had a real parking ticket blitz in the area (most likely to get the quota or whatever spin the city gives because of the closure for such a long period). Be warned

They should realign the school parking lots in the neighbourhood so that they can be Green P lots after school hours. Change the bylaws if they have to.

The parking lot at Garden Avenue P.S. is on the southwest corner of the school campus. They could move the parking lot to the southeast corner (moving the schoolyard westward) and have it as Green P on weekends and after hours. When the parking lot was built in the 1950's, there were still space available on the street for parking, but not now.

ser372%5Css0100%5Cs0372_ss0100_it0312.jpg

BTW. Is the parking a taxable benefit for the teachers? Or do they pay for it?

Last edited:
They should realign the school parking lots in the neighbourhood so that they can be Green P lots after school hours. Change the bylaws if they have to.

The parking lot at Garden Avenue P.S. is on the southwest corner of the school campus. They could move the parking lot to the southeast corner (moving the schoolyard westward) and have it as Green P on weekends and after hours. When the parking lot was built in the 1950's, there were still space available on the street for parking, but not now.

BTW. Is the parking a taxable benefit for the teachers? Or do they pay for it?

Agree whole heartedly, I believe the new owner of the Revue cinema tried to get something like this going for the Public School at Howard Park. It would be great for revenue for the city or even the province.

As for the teachers I imagine it's most likely in their contract to get parking provided.

Of course thanx for the picture W.K. Lis of Garden Ave very kind of you to do that. I just love old pictures of Toronto and especially the Parkdale High Park area.

Roncesvalles Avenue reconstruction started...

...with the replacement of the streetcars with noisy, uncomfortable buses for the duration. First will be the water mains.

I'm guessing most of work will be done by contractors, so the strike shouldn't be a problem (except for garbage collection). I hope there wouldn't be the same uproar that St. Clair had.

It's would be like replacing your home's galvanized pipes, knob and tube wiring, and fuses with modern flexible pipes, three-wire electrical cable, and circuit breakers. It will be a mess during the construction, but when its over it will be better.

Last edited:
WK, is any hydro work being done, to your knowledge? Ronc has some pretty unsightly overhead.

Saddly, no hydro work and that a mistake.

As of June 26, nothing has started and buses are running in both direction, not on detour.

They learned that the whiners on St. Clair wanted the hydro lines to go underground by magic, instead of digging up the street and sidewalk and physically moving the wires underground. So on Roncesvalles they'll just leave them above ground.

I'm just curious, how is the King car doing with 10% of it's track missing? Are they running busses down to Queen and Roncesvalles, with King Cars short turning at Queen?

Basically. However as of recent Roncesvalles is only open to northbound traffic, so the 504 replacement buses go south/west on Dundas to Lansdowne, south on Lansdowne, west on Queen, north on Roncesvalles.

I would have thought, if access is open to traffic, that they would have used Sunnyside Avenue or Sorauren Avenue for at least one leg of the replacement buses. After all, there used to be a Grey Coach and TTC garage on Sorauren and those buses had to use narrow Sorauren to and from the garage.

I'm guessing that the newer drivers couldn't handle the narrow roads with their buses.

All large vehicles excluding moving vans are prohibited from the neighbourhood streets, so no dice. Not to mention, there is no room for temporary bus stops since cars clog every available free space.

Also remember why the garage was evicted from Sorauren in the first place--plus the fact that it was the days before rampant four-way stops, speed humps, etc.

Back