News   Sep 04, 2024
 113     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 761     2 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1K     1 

Rogers Centre... wasted potential?

Re: SKYDOME... wasted potential?

I love the idea of creative reuse for such structures as the Dome, and their potential for evolving into something entirely different. Old London Bridge, built in the 12th century, is a good example of what can happen. Over the centuries it had houses, shops and a chapel built on it - to a height of seven storeys - and water wheels that powered a grain mill were added. Bits of it collapsed and were rebuilt, deadly fires broke out, severed heads of traitors were displayed on one of its gates and it became a ghoulish tourist attraction. It became so congested and dangerous it had to be pulled down, though it lasted 700 years.

Re: SKYDOME... wasted potential?

^ You can still see that at the Ponte Vecchio in Florence...

firenze2.jpg

ROGERS SKYDOME

Wylie and everyone: I decided to post and revive this thread on stadium-namely the Rogers Skydome-because being a Baseball (National League-namely the NY Mets) and NFL Football fan (I grew up a NY Jets fan and I like so many EXCEPT the Dallas Cowboys) I thought I would add my two cents on this topic. I have gone to games at the Rogers Skydome back in 1990-back then the Jays were setting attendance records and heading for those championship seasons of 1992-93. The Skydome was the last major stadium to have artificial turf and was of the 80s and before mindset. Nowadays the in thing is a medium-sized facility for baseball and a large-sized football only stadium. I like Wylie's ideas for the Skydome-is the artificial turf going to be replaced? You can add the NY Mets to the list of teams moving into new ballparks-the new Citi Field is now under construction next to Shea Stadium to open for the 2009 season. I am no fan of naming rights but this one is not so bad.
As for previous ballparks constructed since the start of the 90s I recall an interesting article done by one of the Philadelphia Daily News sportwriters in the last couple of years-I do not recall exactly when-rating all the in-use MLB ballparks in a number of cities for their different amenities and other things. The writer found Pittsburgh's PNC Park to be the #1 park on all of baseball. There are good new parks out there-two not mentioned are Philadelphia's Citizen Bank Park and Baltimore's Camden Yards. That picture of Safeco Field in Seattle was interesting-it showed the Kingdome before it was imploded. Minneapolis/St.Paul will be interesting-with the rough late-winter spring we are having with record cold and snow I wonder how Twins fans will deal with an outdoor park. LI MIKE

Re: ROGERS SKYDOME

I recall an interesting article done by one of the Philadelphia Daily News sportwriters in the last couple of years-I do not recall exactly when-rating all the in-use MLB ballparks in a number of cities for their different amenities and other things. The writer found Pittsburgh's PNC Park to be the #1 park on all of baseball.

I don't know if this was the same thing, but ESPN also rated MLB ballparks and put Pittsburgh at the top. PNC Park looks great, at least for me from TV and photos... the architecture is decent, the skyline view is excellent, and it's right on the riverfront, a perfect spot for splash hits like Barry Bonds in San Francisco.

Minneapolis/St.Paul will be interesting-with the rough late-winter spring we are having with record cold and snow I wonder how Twins fans will deal with an outdoor park.

I've seen the renderings of the new Twins ballpark, and I don't really like it. The trend right now is starting to move away from building retro-style ballparks to building modern-looking glass and steel ballparks that retain successful elements of the retro parks, like the design for the new Washington Nationals ballpark. However, I think these newer ballparks are going to look really cheap, especially compared to the better done ballparks like PNC and Camden Yards in Baltimore.

I would like to see the SKYDOME (and several other buildings - the Toronto Star mess comes to mind) reclad with photovoltaic cells by an artist and an engineer working in collaboration.

Gbelan: There are some other parks that use Fieldturf-but nothing beats Mother Nature's own for the sport of baseball..or football for that matter! LI MIKE

Back