News   Oct 08, 2024
 57     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Rogers Centre... wasted potential?

I agree, but i still hate the new name. It's always going to be the SkyDome to me.(and probably the rest of Toronto)

I managed to create my "fantasy version" of SkyDome, using Google Sketchup, and a model of SkyDome (with "Rogers Centre" signage) available from Google.

I basically did two things to it. I covered up much of the concrete facade of the with either red antique brick, or a dark green metal cladding, to give it a retro look. I made the retractable roof almost all glass, just like thx1038 wanted (even though it will probably not happen due to snow/structural load problems?).

Enjoy the renderings, and feel free to comment!

Credits: Google 3D Warehouse, Rogers Centre original model by Google, CN Tower original model by FireX, Google Earth map

skydome_fantasy4.jpg

Aerial view with CN Tower and neighbouring buildings (such as the Cityplace towers)

skydome_fantasy1.jpg

View from CN Tower Skypod (the "glass floor" view?)

skydome_fantasy2.jpg

View from SE

skydome_fantasy3.jpg

South elevation

skydome_fantasy6.jpg

SE aerial view

skydome_fantasy7.jpg

SW aerial view (with Cityplace towers in front)

skydome_fantasy8.jpg

View from NE

skydome_fantasy9.jpg

Aerial view from south

I didn't really make a lot of details for the interior, but you can get an idea from the following renderings of how the field would look like if the glass retractable roof was closed. (of course, on a sunny day as the renderings show, the roof would most likely be open!)

skydome_fantasy10.jpg

skydome_fantasy11.jpg

Awesome. Great job. I would love to see that roof covered in a different material. maybe something like Alliance Stadium in Munich where it is somewhat transparent in different situations.

The brick is a good idea but i think there are just too many large walled areas which make it look really heavy. Maybe they could install narrow very tall windows along the sides to break it up. I think they should cover it all in some new age cladding system. maybe a double skin glass facade which changes opacity and colour. We can only dream.

That looks fantastic Wylie, great job again.

The only arse is the shadows on the field which would be horrible for baseball players.

Why did you choose to leave the north roof section opaque? Opening this section would offer more view of the city.

As for the "antique brick", I really approve of the look from the exterior, it's a nice mix of old and new with the glass roof.

Keep up the good work ;)

We could solve all our problems by attracting an NFL team to Toronto. UofT football could share the stadium and it could support a soccer team.
That would mean the misguided Bloor Street stadium could be dropped.

jcapitain:

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them!

The only arse is the shadows on the field which would be horrible for baseball players.

I've mentioned already that my renderings are strange because they show the roof closed on what appears to be a sunny day. I'm sure you wouldn't see the shadows if there's rain and the roof is closed.

Why did you choose to leave the north roof section opaque?

Just trying to be realistic. The north panel is the only part of the roof that is fixed, and it has lots of stuff hanging off of it (World Series banners, lights, and the scaffolding where fireworks used to shoot off of). It's possible that that panel could be replaced with glass, but seems unlikely to me.

That looks great! I wonder how much Rogers is willing to spend?

As long as we're talking realism, you forgot something:

20051001.jpg

I for one don't like the idea of putting up brick cladding to create "Ye Olde SkyDome". It was designed as a modern stadium, not a throwback. It should have a modern look.

Structurally glass might be too heavy for the steel frame to support. ETFE could be a possiblity, though snow loading could still be an issue (particularly with the ETFE "pillows" used at Eden Centre, etc).

AoD

brighter hell:

Yeah, I've already mentioned that scaffolding (or whatever you call it) earlier. As a beginner in Sketchup, I have no idea on how to model that thing.

If I were going to go to that level of realism I would have added the Jumbotron as well.

^Yeah I didn't really mean you should put that stuff in - my point was that all the steel bracing would pretty much block out a glass roof altogether. If you look at pictures of the Allianz Arena in Munich (which isn't even fully covered and only half the covered part is glass), the glass roof has a lot less steel bracing than the Rogers Centre roof. To make a glass roof on the Rogers Centre worthwile you'd have to redesign and rebuild the roof from scratch. At that point you might as well build a whole new stadium.

I for one don't like the idea of putting up brick cladding to create "Ye Olde SkyDome". It was designed as a modern stadium, not a throwback. It should have a modern look.
I agree with this. I don't think brick is the way to go. Although there's probably another more appropriate material to humanize the Rogers Centre. What it is though, I'm not sure.

Maybe we can get Herzog and De Meuron to cover the outside with some sort of perforated metal cladding.

Back