News   Oct 08, 2024
 57     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Rogers Centre... wasted potential?

I read somewhere that the cost to demolish the Olympic Stadium in Montreal would be about $500 million. Seriously.

Face it, the Skydome is here to stay for a good while still. Apart from some changes to open things up, not much can be done, me thinks. With the roof structure needing some serious support, it's not like you can just start pulling walls down.

It is what it is.

People thought stadia like the Kingdome, Riverfront Stadium & Three Rivers Stadium would last forever too, and where are they now?

All replaced, at a huge cost. This city is not likely to ante up that kind of cash again for a baseball team, and a CFL franchise.

The residents of Toronto have been stung once for $600 million only to see Ted Rogers eventually buy the place for a song at taxpayer expense. Fool me once...

Yahoo Sports

Link to article

All-Star game in an All-Star park -- PNC finally gets its due
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
July 10, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez are on the NL team. The Pittsburgh Pirates' most significant All-Star, however, is a place instead of a player.

America, meet PNC Park.

ADVERTISEMENT
Stuck in a sixth consecutive losing season since opening their jewel of a ballpark in 2001, the Pirates rarely appear on national TV or play big games at home. That changes with the All-Star game, when PNC Park's unrivaled setting, numerous quirks and many statues can be seen coast-to-coast.

Lots of fans have heard about a ballpark that's been consistently ranked among the best in major league history, enhanced by the gleaming downtown buildings right across the Allegheny River. But many have seen little of PNC Park except during the nightly baseball highlights show.

Now, PNC Park gets to show itself off for one night, and Sanchez can't envision anyone disliking a ballpark that was designed to incorporate the best of the new wave of parks and the old-style ballyards like Pittsburgh's own long-since-demolished Forbes Field.

"One of the players said they hadn't been here before, I said, `You're in for a surprise -- this place, it doesn't get any better than this,"' Sanchez said Monday.

PNC Park is named for a local banking chain once known as Pittsburgh National that bought the rights for about $30 million. Unlike most of the older-style parks, PNC Park lacks the prerequisite brick exterior. To reflect an architectural style more common to Pittsburgh, a sandy beach-hued limestone was used.

It's also not a hitter-friendly bandbox like the new parks in Houston and Cincinnati often are. The right field line is an enticing 320 feet away, but the wall there is 21 feet high -- in recognition of Hall of Fame right fielder Roberto Clemente's No. 21.

Most pitchers love left-center, where the power alley is a tough-to-reach 378 feet and a notch in left-center is 410 feet from home plate. The left field wall is only 6 feet high, which allows outfielders to lean into the stands and take away homers.

"They didn't ask me to do the Home Run Derby but, if they had, I would say I don't know if I could hit a ball out of this place to left, so I'll pass," said the White Sox's Paul Konerko, who played in PNC two weeks ago.

Other touches pay homage to Pittsburgh's 120-year major league history. The infield is very hard, though not quite as treacherous as the rockpile that was Forbes Field's infield before it closed in 1970.

"The grass is tall in the infield and you get a lot of ground ball outs," the Astros' Roy Oswalt said.

The light standards are shaped to resemble those at Forbes Field, and there are bleachers with bench seating in left field similar to those that ran along the left-field line in Forbes.

First-time visitors to PNC should allow plenty of time to explore a ballpark that may have more statues than any in the country.

Pirates Hall of Famers Clemente, Willie Stargell and Honus Wagner are recognized outside the ballpark, and a bronze casting pays tribute to the powerful hands of former NL home run champion Ralph Kiner. There also are seven newly unveiled statues honoring Negro League Hall of Famers with a Pittsburgh past, including Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson.

The setting may be unmatched in the game, Dodger Stadium and its glorious vistas notwithstanding. The Roberto Clemente Bridge (painted in gold, of course) spans the Allegheny River and offers a backdrop in center field, with Pittsburgh's underrated skyline visible from nearly every seat.

"The skyline and the background, you don't get a whole lot of that in the newer stadiums," Arizona pitcher Brandon Webb said.

Passenger boats ply the river during games, tooting out salutes to the fans inside -- sometimes at the very moment a pitcher delivers a key pitch. Some acknowledge almost jumping off the mound when a blast interrupted their concentration.

"That hasn't happened to me -- I just hope I don't give up a ball that hits one of those boats," Brewers reliever Derrick Turnbow said.

That would be a blast -- the river has been reached on the fly only once during a regular season game, a 479-foot drive by the Astros' Daryle Ward on July 6, 2002. Nineteen other homers have landed behind the right-field seats and bounded into the river.

"You look out and see the city out there, the water and bridges, it's a little bit of everything," Turnbow said. "It's a great setting and a great place to have a baseball park."

And an All-Star game, too.

"They did an unbelievable job at doing this ballpark and I love it," Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca said. "I don't really like the domes, they look like shopping malls. This is more traditional and they did a great job."

"People thought stadia like the Kingdome, Riverfront Stadium & Three Rivers Stadium would last forever too, and where are they now?"

You've made your case for 70s craptacular stadiums and no one disagrees with you about them, but your argument does not translate to the Skydome's current situation.

Re: Great American Ballpark...

"Although I think Cincinatti goofed with theirs"

Nothing wrong with that ground in the slightest, a great view of the river from the stands.

There is also an unwritten "rule" that baseball stadia should face north.

I was in skydome this week for the first time since they spent a little money on it....and its looks very decent. Rogers clearly spent some money fixing up the interior and it shows: a lot less concrete is showing, some modern materials and graphics, very clean.

Now if only they will work on the exterior....;)

The whole purpose of moving the jays to Skydome was so they have a roof and the show can go on even if it rains , snows or thunders. i'm very happy with the Skydome, the way it is etc. they should have spent the 21mill they are spnding on the soccer stadium to update the Skydome. Perhaps a glass retractable roof?

I don't know if it's that practical to have open-air in Toronto though, as Toronto has the coldest of the MLB cities and the latest to get rid of its snow weather.
Minneapolis is just as cold (colder in winter) and Detroit, Pittsburgh and other northern US cities aren't far off.

I really see no reason to replace the Dome, though.

"Perhaps a glass retractable roof?"

For $21 million? Ok...

Now if only they will work on the exterior....;)

They're actually planning to clad the exterior in a future phase of rennovations. I think their plan is to make updates every year over a 3-5 year period (that's speculation though).

There was a quote, though I can't find it now, where there was talk about "opening up the view outwards", though I don't know if that meant toward the city or the lake. The view from inside the dome thought the large areas of external glass would be amazing - I hope they can do it.

Something has to be done to the outside, grey slab. I'd love to see them cover the outside in tiles, slate, or even paint the damn thing.

From today's STAR

Jays making all-star bid
Sprucing up their stadium first step in long process

Toronto was host of major league showcase in 1991
Jul. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM
MARK ZWOLINSKI
SPORTS REPORTER

The first of several steps designed to enhance Toronto's chances of playing host to Major League Baseball's All-Star Game will be evident tomorrow when fans attend the Jays-Mariners game at the Rogers Centre.

Painters have been busy since July 3 coating the concrete carapace on the 100 level in blue, which officials hope will reduce the drab effect left over from the initial construction of what was once known as SkyDome.

In the next four to five years, much of the existing concrete (indoors and out) will be covered. It's all part of a renovation process the Jays are including in their bid to return the all-star game to Toronto for the first time since 1991.

Jays president Paul Godfrey said the stadium with the retractable roof would ultimately appear quite different to that all-star game when former Baltimore Oriole Cal Ripken Jr. became to first player to win the home run derby and be named MVP of the game.

In addition to the more than $12 million on renovations spent over the past two years, the organization wants to rebuild the dressing rooms, construct a new merchandise store and erect more banners and photos on the exterior.

Godfrey was at the all-star game in Pittsburgh to support a Toronto bid the Jays submitted about seven months ago.

"We had the game 15 years ago and, given the fact that there are 30 major league teams, you are likely to get one every 30 years," Godfrey said.

"I think around 2010 and 2012 is a more logical date. With the all-star game in mind, we are improving our facility and by the end of this first decade in the new millennium, it should look completely different than it did in 1991."

Back