News   Oct 08, 2024
 59     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Rogers Centre... wasted potential?

Maybe there will be some Liebskind crystal-cladding left from the ROM expansion :b

Well, how about Four Seasons Centre-style brick?

(Though seriously, I *would* probably prefer it to Ye Olde Ballpark-style brick, a la all them Camden Yard wannabes...)

I like the roof the way it is.

"Maybe we can get Herzog and De Meuron to cover the outside with some sort of perforated metal cladding."

Or commission 500 more gargoyles...actually, Rogers may just throw up more and bigger ROGERS signs.

edit - hmm, i never noticed the font options before.

(Though seriously, I *would* probably prefer it to Ye Olde Ballpark-style brick, a la all them Camden Yard wannabes...)
I actually wouldn't really care if they built a Camden Yard wannabe, but the Rogers Centre isn't a Camden Yard wannabe, it's a SkyDome wannabe :p

Maybe Diamond & Schmitt could come up with an interesting cladding solution, possibly of glass.

It might end up looking better than the Opera House ;)

Here's a list of improvements to Rogers Centre that could be made. This list is from Jackie003 over at SkyscraperCity:

Inside
------
-new locker rooms considering players are getting sick (Scheduled for winter offesason 2006/07)
-jays logos everywhere
-canadian baseball or jays history board (there is a lot of canadian baseball histpory ppl dont know about such as old teams beating babe ruth's yankees)
-new decor, modernized
-more bathrooms
-restaurants, hot dog vendors
-renisance hotel and rogers centre logo
-continue the ribbon boards all along
-better sound affects and songs played during the games, as well as graphic
-play the OK BLUE JAYS song (they play New York New York at yankees stadium)
-leave the dome open more often
-jays logo on the field
-i wish they had put 2 colors on the field turf with a design that would have helped
-lcd monitors
-patio inside for fans with deck chairs
-fire works

OUTSIDE
---------
-blue jays logo outside on the sidewalks, lamposts with blue jays flags
--rogers centre gates at all entrances with blue jay bird sculptures
-kids playzone outside, batting cages, fun games
-the outside walls need to be painted or have somethign else done to take away concrete look
-keep the dome roof the colour blue or purple, not green
-white small lights around the perimeter of the dome to accent to dome
-tail gate parties

Re: SKYDOME... wasted potential?

Could we continue to call it SkyDome? That is one improvement I'd like to see. Nothing's more generic than ____ Centre. I was afraid of this, everyone starting to refer to it by the name that I will not repeat.

And in Canada, a bathroom typically has a bathtub - I find it amusing how the Yanks often call a public washroom a "bathroom".

a lot of Canadians call washrooms bathrooms as well. It's "Restroom" that's not common in Canada.

I was also recently at a game and i have to admit that since the last time I had been to the Dome, there were considerable improvements.

Some more changes which we could make:

Inside:

-Multi-coloured seating (scattered)-makes it look less empty when only 20,000 fans are at a game

-More concessions- more variety

-Open up sections of the Dome to the outside, by removing glass and creating outdoor viewing terraces-

-Paint the concrete rings in a variety of colours in the Dome which are not covered by LCD's or advertising etc.

-Perforate Dome roof with glass - scattered opennings- randomely chosen perforation patterns which are based on squares. Completely glass roof will not be feasible nor possible due to large amounts of weight.

Outdoor

-Add leasable space on to the facade by cantilevering the structure from the concrete. (Never will happen)

-Redo landscaping and streetscaping surrounding the dome- this is very doable and very much needed-it is very tired and unnattractive now.

-Make more usage of entrance from Front St.-landscaping, signage, lighting etc.

-Add attractively designed kiosks-

There is more, but lets keep it simple.

:p

p5

my vote would be to rename to "Ted's Shed".

They should also add some more names to the Level of Excelence on the 400 Level balcony. How about Roberto Alomar or Pat Hentgen ?

Hey i'm new here! Anyways, fireworks won't work cause of Cityplace, and the whole "Olde Style" won't go with the Skydome. I want to see something new. Hey, if they build more condos around it, it could be the modern Wrigley! :p

Maybe they could allow it to become encrusted with small, ad hoc dwellings or commercial establishments like many gothic churches were many years ago. You would get to the stadium via small pathways with uncertain routes through the vendors and residents.

You mean like the Roman amphitheatre in Lucca?
lucca_piazza_web.jpg

Yes, although in Lucca's case, the other buildings seem to have replaced the stadium entirely over time. Perhaps we could allow small-scale houses in the cheap seats that aren't needed for Jays fans anymore. Voila bingo - in 100 or so years, no SkyDome, only an atypical lump of housing.

Back