News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

I was thinking we needed another Transit City debate on the forum but can we just hit pause on that one for a second and stop to appreciate that Rob Ford's plan eliminates Coxwell Station on the B-D line for some reason.

I was thinking we needed another Transit City debate on the forum but can we just hit pause on that one for a second and stop to appreciate that Rob Ford's plan eliminates Coxwell Station on the B-D line for some reason.

There are so many jokes I can make with this one, but I'll let it be :p.

But yes, I agree we should revel in the fact that his plan was so well thought out that he did analyses of existing stations, to find ones with low ridership and eliminate them. Or maybe ones with good ridership, to prevent people who currently take transit from continuing to do so?

^^ Well, I've always argued that there are too many stops on that line, but that is a discussion for another thread...

Anyways, joining late, but rather than destroy the Transit City plan like so many propose, why not fix it? Transit City is not like the LRTs found in Calgary, Portland, Dallas, or even soon in Peel Region with a rapid regional focus and spaced out stations. It has more in common with European tramways, a higher order local service with tightly spaced stops. This is what people like Ford and Rossi don't seem to understand, that it isn't the mode used which determines speed, but how it is operated and how often it stops. If you replaced the trains on the subway with streetcars, the speed would be about the same.

The problem is that they do, like the citizens themselves, understand the plan and know that no system that stops at all the light, has stops every 2 to 3 blocks, and is an endless series of transfers is not rapid transit. It is the TTC that continually insists that TC is rapid transit............just go to their website.
If Torontonians want subways then they should get them, end of story. The taxpayers are the one's who are footing the bill whether provincially or municiple so they are the ones who should make the decision.
In BC the province wanted the new Evergreen Line to be LRT { real LRT like CTrain not a bunch of streetcars like TC} but they took 3 different polls and were shown that a SkyTrain route would be 30% more expensive but the people of Coquitlam resoundingly prefered SkyTrain so that is what is being built. You build systems that people want not City Hall.
I also find the comparison with Smitherman's plan disingenous as Ford's plan is 5 years not 10.
I find it laughable that good old Steve Munroe is making fun of the financing of the project sseing he is a TC backer but it's price managed to soar 50% in 18 short months years before even one shovel was in the ground.
As for this notion that laws have rules about working more than 44 hours well newsflash, I know that. This is why you employ several different tenders to different companies at once. That would not be possible under a union contract.

Stop the War on Streetcars!

Until today, I’ve been apathetic about Toronto’s mayoral race. I can give credit to Rob Ford for raising my interest. I’m now driven to stop this homophobic moron from destroying the city I love. Rob Ford, get the hell out of downtown, you are not welcome here. Your “war on streetcars†announcement today caused me to donate to the Smitherman campaign.

Rob Ford wants to scrap downtown streetcar lines on arterial roads, presumably King, Queen, and College, to “end the war on cars.†Like many downtown residents without a car, I rely on streetcars to get around. More: http://mike8bits.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/war-on-streetcars/

Let LRT replace buses on busy suburban roads as a faster and higher capacity solution. Complete the Sheppard line and add one more east/west subway line. Have LRT funnel people onto these new lines. Combine modes and build a fast system. Stop the infighting among transit advocates.

If there was ever a time to volunteer some time with George Smitherman, it's probably a good idea now. Unless you want our iconic streetcar network in Toronto destroyed as well as the transit ridership associated with it and community benefits of electrified transit vehicles.

why would he even consider replacing the downtown streetcar network? Sure subways instead of LRT (Woot?) but don't even touch the current streetcar network!
There would be a trade-off. He would get his subway plan to replace Transit City in exchange for dropping his "war on streetcars".

Streetcars aren't going anywhere.

There would be a trade-off. He would get his subway plan to replace Transit City in exchange for dropping his "war on streetcars".
Where are you getting this from? He has talked about getting rid of streetcars for years.

We all know he has no chance of ever being elected, so this is all hypothetical ... but surely if he was mayor, he would push to do exactly that ... though I doubt that he'd get enough council support to waste that much money.

I'm getting this from my status as a genius, but if you really think Ford has no chance of ever being elected, why not just ignore him?

You are delusional if you think he can win........but here is why Ford would suck if he does win!

no system that stops at all the light, has stops every 2 to 3 blocks, and is an endless series of transfers is not rapid transit.
So most of the streetcars should be replaced with twice as many buses?

As for this notion that laws have rules about working more than 44 hours well newsflash, I know that. This is why you employ several different tenders to different companies at once. That would not be possible under a union contract.
Um, why not? You think that it's TTC employees who will be digging the tunnels? You think that a company bidding for a TTC contract will say no one else can work on the project?

Yeah, having several different companies working on the same project, with different supervising engineers, project managers, etc is a great way to create efficiency and save money. You and Ford have it all figured out...

In BC the province wanted the new Evergreen Line to be LRT { real LRT like CTrain not a bunch of streetcars like TC} but they took 3 different polls and were shown that a SkyTrain route would be 30% more expensive but the people of Coquitlam resoundingly prefered SkyTrain so that is what is being built. You build systems that people want not City Hall.

The province did not want LRT, the Business Case was intentionally fudged to recommend Skytrain! There is still a $573 Million funding gap. I doubt that line will be built anytime soon.

Back