News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 439     0 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

gweed:

As it has already been mentioned, the whole thing sounded more like an attempt to buy votes in Scarborough than an actual transit plan for "the city".

AoD

Planning to raise $1 Billion by selling development rights, and using most of the money to fund roads. Wow. That is a blatant.

His plan to extend the B-D line along the SRT ROW includes using the elevated station at Kennedy.

I think may of the transit aspects have been covered by other posters already. However a brief comment or 2 by me on that area of his plan, the more on the plans other aspects.

1) He proposes to raise 1 Billion in developments right, of which 300M goes to subway construction, the other 700M finances his roads plan.

2)The proposal to raise money is unclear as to whether it means development over stations, OR tax-increment financing of some form. This is a scheme where by land along the proposed route is summarily upzoned by the City, and property taxes collected based on new value for the property at 'highest/best use'. The latter, in my judgment would still not accrue 1B in short to medium term, but be highly controversial w/suburban voters....... The former would never generate the desired amount, in the near term, based on existing land values. A single, over-station site, depending on approved density, might be worth 10M, at 10 stations, in theory, you get 100M. We could toy with the numbers up or down all day; but there's no way to reach 1B in anyone's wildest dreams

3)ON Streetcars, never mind the cost of canceling a pre-existing purchase order which I'm sure has an expensive cancellation clause..........operationally it would take 3 buses to replace each CLRV, and 4 to replace each ALRV. The TTC has no such spares, and your operating cost balloons with 3-4 drivers for every one you have now.

Onto the roads part of the plan

400M to fix/link disjointed roads to improve traffic.

I might, support this in theory, depending on the road. But his plan does not identify the roads he would like to link.

Lawrence East? I could see that using up the whole 400M as that would be a mega-bridge.

Coxwell to Don Mills? That bridge would be a 1B

What else might he have in mind? I'd like to see Sloan punched through to Lawrence cleanly.

But I just don't see 400M going very far. Few of the major roads are fixable in this regard without spending at least what was/is being spent on Dufferin. There are generally major valleys, railways, highways etc. in the way. And often some homes too.

Think Pharmacy/401, on either side this is a 2-lane residential side street. To make the link work you need a larger ROW if only to accommodate TTC buses. That means losing a row of houses, or cropping front yards at any rate. Both expensive, and controversial.

On cycling.

Bike Lanes: Where feasible/makes sense: Of course, DUH, LOL....but he doesn't say where that would be

Bike Trails: Wonderful map of proposed bike trails, a cyclists wet dream. Slight problem...or 3.........2M wide path? LOL WHAT? City Standard Trails are 3-4M. Aside from just being wrong, it could really throw the cost estimate.

Hey, what's this, he's plunked bike paths through the private Golf Club, Donalda, as well as the City one at Don Valley. Ummmm, complicated and pricey to start redesigning the course for this. Not sure Donalda couldn't just refuse too.

Oooh, he's completed the waterfront trail in both Scarborough and Etobicoke........though the back yards of homes with countless millions! LOL Alternatively he could just use Lake Fill to build the trails, but oh the screaming over property rights, and the cost.

His proposal is to do all this w/$50 Million? I don't think so. Based on the cost of similar work at Mimico and Port Union, he could be into 200M plus, on the waterfront alone.

Last edited:
This is a scheme where by land along the proposed route is summarily upzoned by the City, and property taxes collected based on new value for the property at 'highest/best use'.

In other words, Rob Ford says he would raise taxes.

Can this guy be any more of a hypocrite?

To be able to cancel the streetcars lines and bus service, doesn't he need the support of the majority of the council? To my understanding, if the majority of the council doesn't agree with his initiative, it won't fly.

If that's the case, cutting bus service and streetcar would be very unlikely. I don't see him securing a majority of councilors to kill streetcars.

What I don't like...

1) No DRL
2)Killing Eglinton
3)cutting streetcars and bus services...I don't think he'll be able to...
4)Finch West LRT...I was always for that project

To be able to cancel the streetcars lines and bus service, doesn't he need the support of the majority of the council? To my understanding, if the majority of the council doesn't agree with his initiative, it won't fly.
Wouldn't he just need the support of 50% of the TTC commissioners? Which he appoints?

Northern Light:

Conservatives have never been very good with math. Just look at the last two Tory governments, both ran deficits. And then there's the Republicans (of which Ford would probably fit in pretty well).

What scares me about this plan is on the surface, for the average uninformed voter, it looks pretty good. Many people will see it as a sensible short-term vision for subway expansion. However, when looking deeper, the numbers simply don't add up, and the plan lacks any long-term vision.

This plan pretty much sums up Rob Ford as a whole: Sort of appealing to the average Joe on the surface, but do more than 2 minutes worth of research, and you'll find trouble.

I'm not a big fan of this plan but it's certainly better than Smitherman's.
It finishes the entire Sheppard line where Smitherman only connects the sections from Spadina to Yonge................extending it to STC makes good sense and is a hell of a lot more logical than Smitherman's Bloor West extension which will result in better service for Miss but few Toronto residents.
I agree he has some math to do but at the same time he's not planning on bankrupting the system by offering free transit for a few hours or a free one station GO train plan. Those are idiotic ideas that will crush the already stretched operational budget.
I also like the idea that he wants it done by 2015. Any city could do it but by putting a true time table for an event as a construction time means even Toronto will have to manage more than one km per year.

Actually I think the best that could happen right now is for the province to step in and throw cold water into this "plan".

ssiguy:

The plan offers nothing to anyone living anywhere else in the city but Scarborough. I don't believe the transit need in the latter is so great as to demand all else to be put on hold.

AoD

Last edited:
I went to his website and it does have a caveat that if the city, due to financial reasons, cannot raise it's $300 million then certain non essential stations will not be built and will eventually be built when financing becomes available. That makes perfect sense to me and is often used in city's around the world when budgeting is low and/or unforseen revenue declines due to the local economy.
Vancouver did this with it's Canada Line. There is a future potential station roughed in at 33rd Ave near a hospital so when traffic warrants it can be built relatively inexpensively and with limited interruption to current operations.

The plan offers nothing to anyone living anywhere else in the city but Scarborough.
Does it even do much for those who live in Scarborough, south of Ellesmere? i.e. much of Scarborough. The usage of the SRT at Lawrence is minimal, and won't grow much with a subway extension. I'm surprised he didn't at least throw in the Kingston Road BRT.

Does it even do much for those who live in Scarborough, south of Ellesmere? i.e. much of Scarborough. The usage of the SRT at Lawrence is minimal, and won't grow much with a subway extension. I'm surprised he didn't at least throw in the Kingston Road BRT.

But it doesn't even do THAT, because the money proposed is dedicated for the already approved and planned projects, THIS would NEVER get built before 2015... nevermind the fact Toronto couldn't pull it together to design and build this in that amount of time, even WITH approved funding.

It will just stall and most likely lose any last remaining allocated funds from Province/Feds... and NO new transit would get built...

His plan definitely will decrease ridership and increase vehicular/road traffic and congestion... which does him no good, cuz he wants to drive traffic free!

Ya, brilliant plan, moron (Ford).

Last edited:

Back