395     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 575     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Candidates do not gain 10 points in the same week they appear on the cover of the Sun as a chicken. Doug has had a horrible week (and had a fairly horrible day with his "press conference" setting the tone this morning). Much as his wife and mother-in-law are not Jewish, he is not tied with Tory, and Forum has now actually jumped the shark.[/QUOTE)
Lol

Not to detract from the intelligent discourse here, but it would be pretty nice to have the equivalent of a 'like' button here. This would also give an indication of how many non-posters are perusing the thread. Just a thought...

It'll be fine, Doug also wants a strong merryl system implemented. Whiners wants democracy this, checks and balances that, baseless accusation of nepotism and accountability something or other waah waah waah. I believe it was JFK himself who once said "Might makes Right, I also ah endorse Doug Ford foh may-yah, and I ah look fohrwahrd to ah, wahking with him."

+100. That was funny!

I can imagine a disturbingly large part of what you wrote passing thru Rob and Doug's brains as self-evident truth. The only part I can't imagine is that they would know of words like checks, balances, and accountability. The JFK stuff is totally realistic in comparison.

Every time a new poll comes out I'm shocked that Doug is ahead of Olivia. I can't get used to the idea that more than 25% of the people around me are fucking crazy enough to vote for either of the Fords. I wish I hadn't heard about the crazification factor, I look at people a little differently these days.:(

Since the Fords came into power, I've lost a lot of respect for Torontonians. I really thought people here were pretty sophisticated and progressive. I never would have imagined there were this many people who support stupidity, homophobia and racism. The worst part was finding out people that I know support them. I really don't know how to feel about Toronto now, I will not lose the resentment for a while, I'm sure. I just hope this sorry chapter in Toronto's history is soon over. I'm not happy at all about Tory but at least he's not a racist, homophobic or a mentally deficient prick.

I really can't believe Wormington isn't paid campaign staff. I'll post it below, per my personal "no extra clicks for Joe" policy but the headline is "Don't Blame Doug For My Mistakes: Rob Ford," though of course we SHOULD give Doug credit for his successes. What a pathetic display all around.

Anyways, read if you want, and don't give the Sun a click.

one thing that stood out a bit:
Mayor Ford said he was scheduled to go in for his second round of chemotherapy Tuesday but it has been “pushed back until 8 a.m. Wednesday.â€

why the delay? who asked for it, Doctors or Rob? Trying to buy time to flush something out of his system before he goes in??? ;)

I imagine the only technicality would be if the Ford brothers defence could prove Jude knew about the allegations six weeks before the dates she claims.

Thanks for the analysis pud99, and others too. I can only read through so much legalese before my eyes starts to glaze over. I did remember reading something about Porter in that document as well. Anyhow, guess we'll see how this one plays out. If Ford skates away, yet again. I'll be buying shares in tinfoilery, because there really might be something to those crazy rumors of a judge in those fabled crack tapes.

Candidates do not gain 10 points in the same week they appear on the cover of the Sun as a chicken.

The non-paranoid part of me totally agrees.

The paranoid part worries: You could also say, An idiotic incompetent lying city councillor known by more than a few to be a garbage-can substance-abuser would never get the support of serious political operators, and could never be elected mayor of Toronto in 2010.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking, I'm 99% sure that Forum polls are worthless, but it would be a SERIOUS relief if some investigative journalism could nudge the needle over to 100% on my crap-meter.

From said column:

After Goldkind spelled it out that all the community needed was an apology, Doug distanced himself from the comments. But on Monday he doubled down to tell us his wife is Jewish.

Y’know . . . C’mon, Donald Sterling can’t be racist or anti-black; he has a black girlfriend. How can I be racist against Filipinos when my nanny is from the Philippines? I have nothing against black people; my maid is black . . .

Tough but fair, and good for Royson James for getting that in print.

ETA: Interesting and useful work by a lot of UTers today, checking to see whether what Doug said about his wife was in any way true. I think that even if what Doug said was factually true, it's still horrible bullshit due to the context in which he said it, and the sad goal he was shooting for.

Last edited:
Since the Fords came into power, I've lost a lot of respect for Torontonians. I really thought people here were pretty sophisticated and progressive. I never would have imagined there were this many people who support stupidity, homophobia and racism. The worst part was finding out people that I know support them. I really don't know how to feel about Toronto now, I will not lose the resentment for a while, I'm sure. I just hope this sorry chapter in Toronto's history is soon over. I'm not happy at all about Tory but at least he's not a racist, homophobic or a mentally deficient prick.
So what happens with you if Doug wins Torontovibe?

And here it is

TORONTO - Doug Ford says he will march in the Toronto's Pride parade - something his brother has never done - if he's elected mayor.
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/archives/sunnews/canada/2014/10/20141006-202931.html

So now, this needs to be brought out to the Iolas of Ford Nation, the people of the Scarborough FordFest who cheerfully stated (to reporters, no less) that they support Rob because he refuses to go to Pride, not in spite of it. Remember Rob at Sullie Gorman's: he said he couldn't support Hudak because he 'stood with the gays' over the rainbow flag issue. He said he wasn't against Wynne because she's gay, it actually doesn't bother him -- it's a bigger sin to not stand up for your conservative values.

Doug has sold out! He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, chasing buck nekkid men down Church Street for their votes! ;)

Now we need one of those (sixty or so) fringe candidates who have had zero impact/name recognition so far to take one for the team, Get thee on twitter and facebook and start preaching the betrayal of Ford Nation by the Judas Doug! Remind them that your name is on the ballot, and tell them if elected you will totally defund Pride and shut down Church street while you build a subway underneath it that goes all the way to cottage country! (in other words, pull some votes away from Dougie).

And here it is

TORONTO - Doug Ford says he will march in the Toronto's Pride parade - something his brother has never done - if he's elected mayor.
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/archives/sunnews/canada/2014/10/20141006-202931.html

So now, this needs to be brought out to the Iolas of Ford Nation, the people of the Scarborough FordFest who cheerfully stated (to reporters, no less) that they support Rob because he refuses to go to Pride, not in spite of it. Remember Rob at Sullie Gorman's: he said he couldn't support Hudak because he 'stood with the gays' over the rainbow flag issue. He said he wasn't against Wynne because she's gay, it actually doesn't bother him -- it's a bigger sin to not stand up for your conservative values.

Doug has sold out! He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, chasing buck nekkid men down Church Street for their votes! ;)

Now we need one of those (sixty or so) fringe candidates who have had zero impact/name recognition so far to take one for the team, Get thee on twitter and facebook and start preaching the betrayal of Ford Nation by the Judas Doug! Remind them that your name is on the ballot, and tell them if elected you will totally defund Pride and shut down Church street while you build a subway underneath it that goes all the way to cottage country! (in other words, pull some votes away from Dougie).

From Sun article:

"I'll be the mayor of all the people," Doug Ford said during a meeting with the Sun's editorial board.

Ford hinted the mayor's refusal to take part in the parade every year led to fights between the two.

"Was I frustrated with Rob? We'd break into battles every year right around that time for a month," he said.

I actually think Doug is telling the truth here, not due to any sort of virtue, just rage against Rob being so phobic as to throw away an opportunity to be productively sleazy and opportunistic. That family is a piece of work.

Did Rob Ford just admit to drinking and driving? Yes, yes he did.

Mayor Ford acknowledged his comments were awful. “I was a mess,†he said. “I was inebriated and that is no excuse.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2014/05/09/rob_ford_one_wild_night_in_march.html

Ford has two ways of communicating as he drives — his cellular phone and his Onstar device, a General Motors product that acts as a cellphone. During one call as he drives that night, Ford is recorded as saying the following about Jews, blacks and Italians:
“Nobody sticks up for people like I do, every f---ing k--e, n----r, f---ing w-p, d-go, whatever the race. Nobody does. I’m the most racist guy around. I’m the mayor of Toronto.â€

From Sun article:

I actually think Doug is telling the truth here, not due to any sort of virtue, just rage against Rob being so phobic as to throw away an opportunity to be productively sleazy and opportunistic. That family is a piece of work.

I doubt it, otherwise he would have answered that way the first time.

This is just Doug's "moderate" personality being let out to try to deflect from the Jewish story with feelgood bafflegaff.

From the Warmington article:

“I was blindsided by it,” Ford said. “I was taken aback. I said to Renata, ‘I don’t remember saying that,’ and she said, ‘Yeah you did. You insulted 99% of the world and you don’t remember covering that one?’ Then I said, oh yeah I do remember and I did apologize. I think maybe I should apologize again but I don’t think it should be blamed on Doug. It’s not his fault. It was my fault.

He doesn't remember saying it, doesn't even remember apologizing for it, but says sure, he's willing to apologize again. Why not, apologies don't cost anything, do they?

How the hell did we elect Melonville's Tommy Shanks mayor of this city?

Ditto. I have genuinely been thinking about moving. I can't live amid such ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back