101     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 274     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 411     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make no mistake: I don't condone strategic voting, I have never voted strategically, and have no intention of doing so in this election. But right now it seems clear the election is Tory's to lose.

Funny. I'm the opposite. Why wouldn't you vote in your best interest? Sometimes that's the best candidate; clearly, in this election, it's to prevent a re-Ford.

Chow had dealt with Toronto and its citizens for years and years -- she's been elected over and over again in this town. She has overcome negative bias, be it veiled racism or not, many times. Her low polling numbers in this election are the direct result of her poor campaign. This is the 'anti-Ford' election, and she tried to ignore that factor. The 'anti-Ford' voters decided Tory was their horse, and she's lost that voting bloc.

She could EASILY have been the 'anti-Ford' candidate if she had hit him hard, early on. She missed that opportunity, and it doesn't look like she'll get it back.

I'm sorry but really? You completely dismissed the racism (and sexism). It is glaringly obvious from the comments online this is an incredibly racist and divisive city we live in and hell yes, Olivia has been tarred and feathered by racism in this election. To pretend it does not exist or is not a major motivating factor in her numbers is to ignore reality. Reality - women, especially women of colour, get kicked far far more often then white rich men. Fact.

A day after one polling firm had Tory up by 16%, Forum now has him tied with Ford. What's happened in the week since Forum's last poll that would cause a surge for Doug? Edit: Whoops, looks like I'm late to the party on this one!

Last edited:
Great work from everybody on tracking down the info on mom and daughter.

I think the point is a simple one, the Fords are not Jewish (as far as we know), and since Doug has not converted, then any and all bigoted/racist remarks spouted by Doug are just that, the logic of being married to a Jew is immaterial. On the circle-jerk, AKA "The City" on 1010, Doug argued that he could use the term "polock" because of someone Polish in the family (Renata?), he refered to it as a term of endearment. Association does not give you the right to spout bigoted or racist slurs, and tolerance only feeds the ignorance and hate behind those statements.

Another thing that pisses me off in the "anti-racist" label for non-whites spewing racist comments, read a fraking dictionary, racism is not exclusive to "whitey".

Yes actually it is. Racism is a structure - a systemic structure. White, especially white males, benefit immensely from racism. There is also no such thing as Reverse Racism or reverse sexism. Read some academic books on racism. Not the Ford's version of racism.

SharknaT.O.
‏@Shark_Na_TO @paulosenra That would be brilliant move on Doug's part, no way council would strip him of powers if Rob would then be mayor

Olivia is bordering on hysterical screaming at JT.

Just wondering - why is Olivia's shouting termed 'hysterical' as opposed to just shouting? Would you term Tory shouting as hysterical? I find this term is usually applied to females and I also find it sexist. But that is just me, a female who hates the word 'hysterical' when applied to women.

Sorry guys but come on. Think of the words you use in regards to women, and the dismissive attitude (in my other post) re: racism in this election as it applies to Olivia Chow. I'm actually surprised by these posts.

Last edited:
Just wondering - why is Olivia's shouting termed 'hysterical' as opposed to just shouting? Would you term Tory shouting as hysterical? I find this term is usually applied to females and I also find it sexist. But that is just me, a female who hates the word 'hysterical' when applied to women.

Sorry guys but come on. Think of the words you use in regards to women, and the dismissive attitude (in my other post) re: racism in this election as it applies to Olivia Chow. I'm actually surprised by these posts.

"Bordering on hysterical" means that she became slightly louder. If it was referring to John Tory he'd be said to have "become more forceful in his delivery".

There's a double standard going on, in which many people say that Chow should be stronger, tougher in the debates but whenever she does, is criticized for it.

The word Hysteria actually originated from the Greek word for uterus. It has always been associated with emotion, and via sexist views therefore, most often applied to women.

Forum Poll showing Ford support up 10 percent.

Yes, I think the following paragraph in that article should calm our present fears, "The methodology favoured by Forum has also favoured what it considers to be the more typical actual voter — older, male, suburban plus more likely to be reached via landline ."

If the unimaginable happened and Doug Ford won? ..... I hear Hamilton is an up and coming vibrant community.

A day after one polling firm had Tory up by 16%, Forum now has him tied with Ford. What's happened in the week since Forum's last poll that would cause a surge for Doug? Edit: Whoops, looks like I'm late to the party on this one!

Media needs a tighter race for page clicks?

Smart Track is anything but, but Subways 4 Everyone™ is worse and none of the 9(!) ways Doug says he will pay for it will pay for it. EVERYTHING Doug says after "Hi" is an easily demonstrable lie. He lied to Matt on CBC. He lied to Fitzroy on G98. He lied about his wife yesterday. Watch the clip when he says his wife is Jewish, Silverstein actually takes two whole steps back and away from Doug (like he's trying to physically be further from that lie). Doug is a lot of hot air and a shiny suit, he might well know how to run a small/medium size *private* business, and that's fine, but that's not the same skill set required to lead the Council of the fourth largest city in North America. (About the same population as ALL of the 4 Provinces of Atlantic Canada combined)

And just 'cause we should still bring up Rob once and a while... Does anyone know if is it normal to have a chemo session rescheduled? It's only a day so probably nothing, right?

Yes actually it is. Racism is a structure - a systemic structure. White, especially white males, benefit immensely from racism. There is also no such thing as Reverse Racism or reverse sexism. Read some academic books on racism. Not the Ford's version of racism.

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
noun: racism

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Not just for whitey, anymore.

Just wondering - why is Olivia's shouting termed 'hysterical' as opposed to just shouting?

I said "bordering on".

But, I should have avoided using that word here. In my employment, it was commonly used to describe the behavior of both women and men.

Sorry if any offence was taken, none was intended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back