863     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 711     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 613     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The folks who continue to support Ford despite everything. This can obviously be attributed to sheer tribalism (as I've said myself here and at other forums), but breaking it down into smaller components, what's the deal? What makes these people tick?

I think it can ultimately all be boiled down to a toxic stew of small mindedness and cultural resentments. There are other factors at work as well (envy's one), but those are the two biggies, IMO. A writer named John Dolan contributed a 2011 essay to the Exiled Online called "Reagan's Cheshire Snarl," which was a sort of memoir of what it was like to grow up amongst the blue collar "salt-of-the-earth" types who loved then-Governor Ronald Reagan, and who propelled Richard Nixon into the White House twice. Basic far right, John Bircher/Tea Party types. Not very bright. Mean as hell, and angry at anyone who wasn't essentially just like them. They harbored a great deal of anger at the student demonstrations and social upheavals of the time (the late 60's/early 70's, natch), and Dolan thought this sentiment animated them far more than even their racism did. Which, considering the enormity of their racism, is saying something.

I like to refer to this attitude as a sort of willful peasant mentality. These people knew their place, and simply resented others who didn't know theirs'. In point of fact, "their place" was actually pretty comfortable at the time because this was the hayday of union power in the States, and they had well-paying jobs, so they were hardly suffering any. They were ripe for the plucking for skillfull demagogues like Reagan and Nixon, who could stroke their egos, pander to their prejudices, tell them exactly what they wanted to hear...and rob them blind in the process, of course. These stupid, selfish bastards were perfectly willing to go along with political forces that would dramatically, radically lower their own quality of life. And what could they do afterwards except ruthlessly double down on their fantasizing and screech that the hated "others" were to blame, whoever that happened to be? They sure as hell weren't going to admit to their own roles in the downfall of America's middle class, now, were they?

We're seeing the same type of creatures at work with Rofo's dead end base of rubes. It's the same mindset that's pushed legitimate political debate (and the entire political spectrum, really) ever disasterously further and further to the right over the past 30 to 40 years. It's the same mentality that's turned the Republican Party into something more along the lines of one of Europe's openly fascist political parties like the National Front. Slob and Thug's remaining mouth-frothers are not the brightest bulbs in the box, but they are prideful, and they simply are not going to admit they were wrong about Ford, even if he's caught on camera sodomizing dead geese in one his oh-so famous drunken stupors.

JD: Good post here-and good thoughts about the US and Canada's right wing support here...

I do agree with you for the most part on your thoughts about Ronald Reagan during the 1980s and
how some people supported him then and it makes me think of a certain late relative of mine that
used to say "He's still acting" when political thought or discussion would come up - This relative was
a staunch Democrat and also used to mention this thought about John F. Kennedy - that a little bit
of America died along with him on November 22,1963 noting the 50th anniversary of his assassination
is this Friday 11/22...

I also think that there is some similar thinking concerning those who support far-right wing politics
like the Tea Party in the US - I remember hearing someplace that there is a "know-nothing" element
that is also part of this mentality and allow me to mention another thought of a name for this:

"White Trash Conservatism" - noting the overwhelmingly white and rural base of this mindset may
it be in the US or Canada - a North American way of thought...

I am thinking also "United We Stand-Divided We Fall" noting how right-wing elements seek to
divide and conquer with the "Us Versus Them" mentality that helps no one over time...

Thoughts from Long Island Mike

Fair enough. Brain fart.

More like moral diarrhea at this stage.

RoFo was caught at Mandarin last night, so he must not be taking said diet too seriously. Why am I not surprised.

Of course his diet is the least of his problems.

Too bad his “experts†are clueless as to how to loss weight; how many carbs in his grazing?

Doug's grin/smile is rather creepy. Bite your head off creepy.

AoD

Cheshire Cat like, or if you will, the original Joker in the comics/“Man Who Could Not Stop Laughing†main character.

He won't resign ever. He's either going to get caught committing a crime or ride out his term in willful blindness.

Get back to work councillors.

His career is dependent voter support, resignation is meaningless. If RoFo and Rust-D-Eye can pull something out of their respective asses without the Wynn taking action... RoFo has lost, the counsel called his bluff, and pushed back. Bullies can operate with only a few situations, one being fear, and at this money there is none.

Last edited:
I want to guess that by "projects" they meant the Dixon apartment complexes which have been the subject of many a TPS raid in the past year.
And by "things got weird", he meant that the brothas hanging around there looking for people interested in their "stuff" knew the Ford brothers on a first name basis -- and even offered Mr. CNN a discount on their "wares". :)

Those Dixon buildings are condos. Yeah, they are low end condos but since when are condos called "The Projects"?

http://property.trovit.ca/index.php...ype.1/origin.2/section.1/section_type.1/pop.1

Last edited:
Pandemonium outside of the Rogers Centre as the Mayor departs the stadium into a crush of supporters chanting "Rob Ford! Rob Ford! Rob Ford! "

http://instagram.com/p/g1NLS_lTn-/

That makes me embarrassed to be a 30 something year old, white male. Regrettably, a disproportionate share of Ford supporters are at least superficially like me. I suppose I can take solace in the fact that most of them (Ford supporters) are at least 10-15 years older than me and uneducated or undereducated. White trash conservatism indeed. Get er done

That makes me embarrassed to be a 30 something year old, white male. Regrettably, a disproportionate share of Ford supporters are at least superficially like me. I suppose I can take solace in the fact that most of them (Ford supporters) are at least 10-15 years older than me and uneducated or undereducated. White trash conservatism indeed. Get er done

Do these people even vote? And are they chanting 'cause they genuinely support him, or because he's a crack-smoking joke?

Believe it or not, many loyal members of Ford Nation are actually from the 905 (and cannot vote for him).

Look up Edward Bernays, if you are not already familiar with him. This sort of mass psychological manipulation has been going on since we've had mass communications. It's scary how well it works. And no one likes to admit they were duped, so it keeps on working. It's quite possible that Rob Ford will win another term as mayor.

The difference this time is that RoFo no longer has support from the media.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "A.K." was not one of those individuals attending Bier Markt with Mr. Ford. As per the ITO, her involvement was only as far as meeting Mr. Ford in his office.
It was someone else who attended Bier Markt with Mr. Ford and was spotted by the waiter allegedly doing something untoward in a private room.

Mmmmm.....not so much. The waiter provided a description of the woman that was remarkably similar to the description provided by Ransom. Ransom also later provided a picture of A.K. along with her full name to the police. This picture was shown to the head of security for Bier Markt, the guy who guarded the private room that the Mayor and his party were in. He recognized the picture as being the girl in the private room with the Mayor. He also said she is possibly the DJ's girlfriend. Based on all of this, I think it's reasonable to say that A.K. was both in the Mayors office and at the Bier Markt.

I would also like to point out that if these "fringe" or "one-off" participants in Mr. Ford's life are to be hung and quartered, why not any of his former staff members, those who stuck by the mayor as long as they did? Most of us have already criticized Mark Towhey (and rightly so) but what of the other ex-staffers such as Isaac Ransom -- upon whose sole word this thread has collected at least 30 posts regarding whether A.K. is a prostitute or not!

Something to consider.

Ok, I'll consider it. In the midst of an epic scandal regarding the Mayor of Toronto, one of the allegations is that the Mayor consorts with prostitutes. This type of thing alone has been enough to bring high profile politicians down (Eliot Spitzer, anyone?). I think the truth or falseness of the allegation is worth discussing.

Edit: Sorry - I see now that this has been addressed already. I'm just catching up now, I've been watching football all day. Speaking of which, I wonder if Mayor Brittania (sic) is going to call Mayor Ford and tell him that the Tiger-Cats are still waiting for their spanking (oskie-wee-wee).

Last edited:
Those Dixon buildings are condos. Yeah, they are low end condos but since when are condos called "The Projects"?
No, they're not public housing projects, but I'm guessing it will be something that most CNN viewers will immediately be able to comprehend better than "low end condos" and it will likely work better for the narrative that they are crafting.

The difference this time is that RoFo no longer has support from the media.

He doesn't need support, as such. As a high-profile misbehaving elected official, his coverage is guaranteed. It'll be the same during the campaign, and it will be enough to get him lots of votes.

I wouldn't read too much into the spectacle. I once stumbled into a large crowd of people waiting for Michael Jackson to come out of a hotel. It was an exciting scene.I stuck around to see the show -- it was fun -- but I didn't rush out and buy one of his albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back