205     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 366     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 766     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would tend to agree with you at this point. i think most of the um, 'stuff' that is going to hit the fan is going to be unleashed during the campaign. as you point out, he won't be able to go into 'anything else?' mode in the heat of an election.
So... you guys think the media should sit on a story and release it later in order to manipulate the election process?

So... you guys think the media should sit on a story and release it later in order to manipulate the election process?

Ethically the answer is probably no. Also, there is the risk that it will lose some credibility because the public will see it as sketchy and opportunistic (Probably one of the reasons the Layton allegation didn't stick very well)

on man, read my post. i'm saying they are not ready yet. but they will be ready by the time election season rolls around. bad luck for Ford.

the reason they can't publish is because their editor won't sign off on it. the reason he won't sign off is because the sourcing is not 150% air tight.
they are sitting on all these stories pending further corroboration of the story, more evidence, more details, an on-the-record interview etc.
a lot of this stuff WILL come out, but as i've said before, the story has to be absolutely bullet-proof.
look at the Bruno Bellissimo story for the kind of info that has to be in there for these things to get the go-ahead.
any story that gets published at this point has to pass an insanely high bar for the Globe or Star to dive into the toxic maelstrom that is Rob Fraud.
the Sun seems to be following its own path here--not sure what their end game is.

I enjoy how this scandal is damaging the provincial PCs as well. I'm sure the mutiny against Hudak's rule would be more widespread were it not for the fact that Doug would lead the charge to become the new party leader. Getting Holyday in gives him instant leverage. But imagine what would happen if were leader, or running for leader with a big lead, and something more serious dropped into the headlines. We'd have a blue supernova on our hands.

Not at all, I'm just saying that the delay in releasing the story for more proof, I feel is a positive. It's better for the anti Fords if it comes out later vs. now.

Last election, Ford deflected the criticism of four opponents by crossing his hands over his belly, leaning back in his chair, staring at the ceiling, shaking his head and chuckling to himself. He could do it again, so I'd rather not wait in hope of one explosive story. I'd prefer that whatever seedy connections he and his family have are exposed to the air as soon as possible. Then I'd like to see the people who act as apologists and enablers taken to task for that. Look at this week, he's driving stumbling drunk on Friday, and then by Thursday there's former head cop Julian Fantino making buddy buddy jokes with him about what's in his cup. Something's messed up. Be a schlub on the street trying to find a simple job or a place to live and it's we need this paper and this paper, credit checks and references and proof of this and that, three interviews in front of panels of four, everybody's a gatekeeper, but for those let in the door of the real elites, everyone's your protector, they all have skin in each other's game.

Mayor Rob Ford makes catch of the day - Mayor Hazel McCallion!

1297455307371_ORIGINAL.jpg

(We need a caption contest for this one)

More pictures and story from the Toronto SUN http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/15/mayor-rob-ford-makes-catch-of-the-day--mayor-hazel-mccallion

Does Joe Warmington get paid by the paragraph? That story reads like a Little Golden Book.

Last edited:
the reason they can't publish is because their editor won't sign off on it. the reason he won't sign off is because the sourcing is not 150% air tight. they are sitting on all these stories pending further corroboration of the story, more evidence, more details, an on-the-record interview etc. a lot of this stuff WILL come out, but as i've said before, the story has to be absolutely bullet-proof.

The pathological cautiousness and passivity of the "establishment" in this city (and province and country) never cease to infuriate me. If this were say NYC, the media and cops and DA would have taken down this cancer on the city long ago. You know -- "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!"

There are apologists and enablers for Ford and I think their ranks will thin, but there are a lot of people who love the suburbs and just don't want their taxes to go up too much and otherwise don't give a damn. It is this second group that people who want to take Ford down need to be very mindful of.

Spitting hate at the man and nodding approval at how much of a joke he is does nothing. Frankly, while I will get blasted for it I find it somewhat hypocritical that many of the orange brigade are blasting away at the man for being a drug user, drug pusher and low life yet at the same time they focus their policy interests on helping self-same people. The motto: compassion for some, hate for others.

P.S. I have been commenting on this forum about how bad Ford was since before he became Mayor and I'm also a downtown elitist. But I also know that Ford needs to be taken out from the centre and that replacing him with a far left candidate will be like replacing one irresponsible force for another.

Last edited:
The pathological cautiousness and passivity of the "establishment" in this city (and province and country) never cease to infuriate me. If this were say NYC, the media and cops and DA would have taken down this cancer on the city long ago. You know -- "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!"

i completely agree. he should have been destroyed years ago.

the fact that this alcoholic, cross-addicted, angry, incompetent, sub-literate thug continues to stagger forward as a possible re-election candidate is a profound indictment of the media in this city.

it is absolutely astonishing that they haven't been able to expel this poison from the body politic yet.

i completely agree. he should have been destroyed years ago.

the fact that this alcoholic, cross-addicted, angry, incompetent, sub-literate thug continues to stagger forward as a possible re-election candidate is a profound indictment of the media in this city.

it is absolutely astonishing that they haven't been able to expel this poison from the body politic yet.

I have to mildly disagree. Ford's exploits have been well publicized - especially by the Star - it's the electorate who are choosing to ignore, or give him 'a pass' on his various issues/exploits.

'How low do you think they'd be on a 92 year old? Really?

Three thoughts came to mind as I read your question, juvenile, ageist and misogynist. Oh, and the fact that the Mayor McCallion has, without question, accomplished much in her life, and that she possesses a very sharp intellect.

no... just dealing with reality. where her boobs hang has nothing to do with her competence as mayor or any baring on her intellect. if you go to grab an older woman, you better think of where her boobs might be, otherwise you might accidentally grope her.

Spitting hate at the man and nodding approval at how much of a joke he is does nothing. Frankly, while I will get blasted for it I find it somewhat hypocritical that many of the orange brigade are blasting away at the man for being a drug user, drug pusher and low life yet at the same time they focus their policy interests on helping self-same people. The motto: compassion for some, hate for others.

I understand your point here but I'll explain my point of view. I absolutely believe that addiction is an illness that requires compassion and professional help instead of jail time. But that being said... you simply can't be a drug addict and be mayor of a city like Toronto - particularly if it means you're lying about it, smearing everybody that claims you're sick, consorting with the criminal underworld and spouting stupid right wing nonsense terms like "hug a thug" in order to attack your opponents. Not to mention showing up at official city functions inebriated.

Frankly, while I will get blasted for it I find it somewhat hypocritical that many of the orange brigade are blasting away at the man for being a drug user, drug pusher and low life yet at the same time they focus their policy interests on helping self-same people. The motto: compassion for some, hate for others.

this is typical kind of straw man argument that gets thrown around by those looking for ways to excuse the inexcusable.

1. have you ever seen any evidence that suggests that Rob Ford would accept help from people who want to help him with his substance abuse problems?

2. have you ever seen anything that suggests Rob ford would not be welcome at a rehab center in the GTA? (as opposed to the ones he goes to in secret, in Florida)

3. do you have reason to believe that Rob Ford would not receive the same standard of care or compassion from professionals who deal with cross addicted individuals?

4. have you ever seen one iota of evidence that Rob Ford even believes he has a problem with drugs and alcohol?

5. has Rob Ford ever admitted publicly to his drug use, or his binge drinking?

6. have you ever seen any of the enablers around Rob Ford call him out on his addictions, and demand he seek help?

The previous 'southern US' location was a sales office at best, whereas 'facility' implies manufacturing capability. That would be my guess.

shouldn't we be able to find a list of all their locations? wonder why we can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back