333     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 750     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a surprise? A poll during the last election said that Miller would have beaten Ford. And that was when Ford's popularity was at it's peak!

I would do anything to have Miller as mayor. I know he's not the best of the bunch, but anything would be better than Ford.

I have to wonder what Miller thinks about this whole situation? ;)

I missed the protest on Saturday because I wasn't aware it was happening. Will it be a recurring thing? I hope so, because I really want to attend such a thing and contribute to the presence, chalk drawings, etc. It would be amazing if it could be a perpetual meeting place for Ford protest, so that every day the crowd would presumably get bigger as more and more find out about it and the chalk messages take more space, building the pressure for him to get out.

A prime minister or primer remains in his/her post until a resignation, election OR the party holds or forces a leadership convention in which the party elects a new leader of the party who could become new prime minister or primer. This has happened several times in the past.

A mayor, however, remains in his/her post until a resignation or election. There is no party that can hold a convention to replace him/her.

Isn't that the advantage of the party sytem. The Party is more permanent than the individual so, in theory, the Party would do a careful job choosing its candidates. Individuals are much more likely to go rogue.

The other advantage is that people know what a party stands for, but are often to busy (lazy) to find out what each individual stands for. If we feels that the electorate is becoming more uneducated, the party system has advantages.

This guy is nothing if not interesting... and/or imaginitive. This is the @larouxb guy from twitter... who now claims to have an iPhone with the video on it and says he will be posting screenshots.

He's much more intelligent than your typical theorist, but I'm still not sure how much of a grain of salt to take him with... I really don't put it past the Fords to fake the video, hoping that The Star would take the bait and buy it, so they could then go on the offensive. But that's the "5-10% chance" likelihood... Not sure that I believe his "The Paper is folding!" stuff either. But it's all entertaining, in a way.

I know some people would dispute this, but I'm very confident that Miller would have won if he ran in 2010. Every candidate except Joe Pantelone (who wouldn't have run against Miller) was running on the right and would have split the anti-Miller vote. Ford won because he was the most authentic candidate in a pack of politicians claiming to be pro-car fiscal conservatives.

Is that a surprise? A poll during the last election said that Miller would have beaten Ford. And that was when Ford's popularity was at it's peak!
Was that the same pollster that declared the Ford-Smitherman contest too close to call? We all know how that turned out.

^ i wouldn't waste a millisecond reading that guy. he is having a great deal of fun at the expense of anyone naive enough to fall for it.

the Star is on the verge of going out of business?

HE is in possession of the video?

please.

Wow. Just wow. I need go get myself down there.
Are any of us there right now?
I was there. Great, fun and respectful crowd. My pics are available here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonparis/sets/72157633860434413/

I missed the protest on Saturday because I wasn't aware it was happening. Will it be a recurring thing? I hope so, because I really want to attend such a thing and contribute to the presence, chalk drawings, etc. It would be amazing if it could be a perpetual meeting place for Ford protest, so that every day the crowd would presumably get bigger as more and more find out about it and the chalk messages take more space, building the pressure for him to get out.
There was talk that this could become a weekly thing, but I don't know to be honest.

I am not a Ford supporter as much as a supporter of his platform, knowing your penchant for research you can look that up.

That's a ridiculous claim. You cannot separate Ford from his platform, b/c his platform is nonsensical and/or blatent lies. You voted for Ford, despite the fact that he was the worst possible choice. Wear it.

To play your game, though I doubt he wants the job, I'd like Ken Dryden. Thoughtful, respectful of others' opinions, able to reconcile opposing views.

To play your game, though I doubt he wants the job, I'd like Ken Dryden. Thoughtful, respectful of others' opinions, able to reconcile opposing views.

Excellent suggestion. I think Toronto needs someone moderate, centralist, non-polarizing, and with no negative baggage from outside of civic politics. And I don't think Olivia Chow hits all of those notes.

I strongly disagree. Toronto needs a mayor who will benefit the city as much as possible (i.e. as progressive as possible) much more than it needs a mayor that will be uncontroversial. My ideal would be Adam Vaughan, though I admit that it would be hard for such a good person to be elected, so maybe Chow is the next best.

That's a ridiculous claim. You cannot separate Ford from his platform, b/c his platform is nonsensical and/or blatent lies. You voted for Ford, despite the fact that he was the worst possible choice. Wear it.

This is quite accurate. Ford's platform was merely an extension of his irrational persona.

People who voted for privately funded subways, buses that'd somehow cost less and carry more people than streetcars, and billions of dollars in savings from 'efficiencies' voted for Rob Ford and Rob Ford only. No one even moderately educated would have put forward such a platform: it was entirely Rob Ford's creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back