442     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun, given your druthers, who would you like to see as the next mayor of Toronto? Please note that I said, given your druthers, which means no weasel words about who is or is not likely to run. Simply state your favourite for Mayor.

Druthers? A ridiculous attempt at tossing labels at people much like Fords, whom you admire.

I want a Tory, a Holyday, or goodness forbid, a Stintz in the next election. Not a fake 'conservative' like Ford.

- I want someone who knows what costs need to be reigned in while knowing what costs need to be increased with the growing population.
- I want someone who understands that the large majority of people, 'left' or 'right' pay taxes and should be treated not only as 'taxpayers' but also as 'citizens'.
- I want someone who can understand that issues in the city are more than slogans.
- I want someone who does not lie everytime he or she speaks, and who does not attempt to pass it off as truth
- I want someone who is not hypocritical in their actions
- I want someone who does not give up halfway through a mayoralship, and works actively with council instead of sitting out and complaining all the time.

That enough for you?

Last edited:
The liberal elite’s gift to Rob Ford
Tabatha Southey
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, May. 31 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
Last updated Saturday, Jun. 01 2013, 4:53 PM EDT

There seem to be two schools of thought among those who don’t believe that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was, as has been alleged, filmed smoking crack cocaine. One school insists that, as Mr. Ford has said, “there is no video.” The other school, which, according to a Forum Research poll, includes nearly 50 per cent of those living in the inner suburbs, believes that any such recording is a fake.

[...]

If this is a liberal plot, the left may have handed the Ford brothers a gift. The Fords need to be embattled to be politically alive. Their political personae are built on their outsider status. While I’m not suggesting they’re John Ralston Saul and the man from Dos Equis in their off-hours, when cornered they go more and more everyman-for-the-little-man. It’s their shtick.

Mr. Ford routinely speaks for the people he says he encounters at Tim Hortons who, it seems, universally support him. He does so almost as though he doesn’t understand that people who buy coffee at Tim Hortons also get to vote. When criticized, Mr. Ford references these people as though they have the moral weight (and the mental capacity) of small children – and as if almost everyone doesn’t go to Tim Hortons.

There he is, Saint Rob of the Doughnut Shop. Dunking with the downtrodden. You’d think he bought coffee at a leper colony.

I remember, when I was about 5, overhearing a normally taciturn friend of my dad, the first in his family to go through school, saying he would never let his children watch The Flintstones.

“It’s a parody of the working class,” he said. “It’s an insult to them, written by men with no real insight and sold back to the people they’re mocking.” That’s how I sometimes feel when I listen to the Fords.

The Fords are from a wealthy family. Their father was a member of provincial parliament. They were born into privilege, with access to power. It pains me to say this, but not as much as it might pain him to hear it: Rob Ford is Etobicoke’s Justin Trudeau.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...eral-elites-gift-to-rob-ford/article12299090/

I was just thinking...regardless of the turnout, today's protest may well have been a first. Has there ever been a protest demanding the resignation of a Toronto mayor before today?

This is the video. Well, no, not that one. It's the Ford protest, at NPS.

[video=youtube;6zNtpnN8aS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zNtpnN8aS4&feature=share&list=UUX-Hig3SImVD5GxzlWb-IQQ[/video]

personally I think that this demonstration would have been better right outside his house

I was just thinking...regardless of the turnout, today's protest may well have been a first. Has there ever been a protest demanding the resignation of a Toronto mayor before today?

I remember a rally at Queen's Park shortly after Bob Rae was elected. It was more of a "we made a mistake by electing you - but your in. If you mess up, we will vote you out". He did, and we did.

As I recall, the election results were not questioned - democracy was respected.

BurlOak:

Bob Rae isn't a Toronto mayor, FYI. And the bit about democracy is funny - as if protests demanding that a politician resign are somehow "anti-democratic".

AoD

Last edited:
If his website is to be believed, he's a brain cancer survivor and just recently had surgery to repair some residual damage from the treatment. He's also on a lot of meds (understandably). So there's that...
Ah, I didn't see that. If true, that might explain some stuff. I'll put the shotgun down then. Thanks for the info.

Druthers? A ridiculous attempt at tossing labels at people much like Fords, whom you admire.

I want a Tory, a Holyday, or goodness forbid, a Stintz in the next election. Not a fake 'conservative' like Ford.

- I want someone who knows what costs need to be reigned in while knowing what costs need to be increased with the growing population.
- I want someone who understands that the large majority of people, 'left' or 'right' pay taxes and should be treated not only as 'taxpayers' but also as 'citizens'.
- I want someone who can understand that issues in the city are more than slogans.
- I want someone who does not lie everytime he or she speaks, and who does not attempt to pass it off as truth
- I want someone who is not hypocritical in their actions
- I want someone who does not give up halfway through a mayoralship, and works actively with council instead of sitting out and complaining all the time.

That enough for you?

Weasel II reporting in. The exercise was to name an individual, not a platform.
I am not a Ford supporter as much as a supporter of his platform, knowing your penchant for research you can look that up.

It's hard to imagine that there wouldn't have been protests about Mayor Mackenzie, given the magnitude of his failure and incompetence.

Perhaps we can hope that Ford too is exiled to the USA one day.

A prime minister or primer remains in his/her post until a resignation, election OR the party holds or forces a leadership convention in which the party elects a new leader of the party who could become new prime minister or primer. This has happened several times in the past.

A mayor, however, remains in his/her post until a resignation or election. There is no party that can hold a convention to replace him/her.

Weasel II reporting in. The exercise was to name an individual, not a platform.
I am not a Ford supporter as much as a supporter of his platform, knowing your penchant for research you can look that up.

Thank you Weasel II. I did name people I would support in an election, but this point, the only person known to be definitively running is Ford himself. But perhaps it's hard of you to hear from your high chair.

Not many people liked Miller after 8 years, but I don't recall any protests.

But Ford Nation will continue to insist that he has received an "outpouring of support"

Interestingly enough, after 7 or 8 years, Miller's approval rating was higher than Ford's is now.

Interestingly enough, after 7 or 8 years, Miller's approval rating was higher than Ford's is now.
Is that a surprise? A poll during the last election said that Miller would have beaten Ford. And that was when Ford's popularity was at it's peak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back