857     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew hundreds of these guys growing up. That hard rock stoner, feathered hair, sport jock/drug dealer high-school scene was something as common as dirt in Toronto in the late 1970’s early 80’s.

It staggers me that the grown-up version of those angry, insecure, bullying small-minded young men has achieved any position of prominence in this city. These guys are just the most regressive, inbred, wretched version of manhood imaginable. The absolute worst of masculinity all rolled into onto one big fat package.
I also grew up around these types of guys when I lived in NS. Redneck assholes who couldn't stand anything different from the small world they lived in. That's exactly who I see when I look at these high school photos. Those same people. The only thing different about them, is that they are older and fatter now.

The truth is Ontario has a bigger provincial budget than California's state budget.... with only 1/3rd the ppl.

Where are you getting your numbers to make this claim? As far as I can tell California's projected expenditures for 2012-13 are $142B and Ontario's are $124B. Sure, that's still more government expenditure per person in Ontario, but I think that works to our benefit. Other than the weather, I'd much rather live here than in California.

As far as deficits go, Ontario is doing worse than California relatively speaking, but the government of Ontario exercises far greater unilateral control over its expenses and sources of revenue than California - land of the voter referendum and recall election.

As a matter of fact I do.

It’s a categorically, ontologically incorrect way to describe the object in question. The word 'tape' implies that there is a single copy. Which according to Mr “Future Builder” will “Never be found. Ever”. As if it’s a VHS tied to a rock at the bottom of Lake Ontario or something. For all he knows this file could be sitting on Dropbox and backed up on an infinite number of hard drives already.

The point is, the whole idea that a copy hasn’t been made is laughable.

Or more laughable that an entire city is passing judgement based on something that may or may not exist.

This is ridiculous. I could say anything about anyone...because "I saw a type". I don't have the tape in my possession, but I saw it.

Just think for a second.

...to operate an iPhone? are you in your 70's or something?

Actually, I do IT (and thus am not a drug dealer...or something...). Operating an iPhone is delightfully simple, until you want to move files around. Unless our videographer is regularly backing up his phone to his computer (a bad idea for a drug dealer), or has it set up to automatically sync to iCloud (a bad idea for a drug dealer), he'd have to, well, email the file to someone I suppose. I very much doubt that many drug dealers set up Dropbox accounts (again, a bad idea for a drug dealer).

You are making the numbers up.

Yea...sure I am.

You can believe anything you like. It isn't job to educate you. Hell...you can even keep voting for the Rob Fords of the world if you like.

I have better things to do with my time....life is short if you didn't know.

Speaking of which...out of curiosity, I decided to catch the Ford's radeeeeeo shew (or a bit of it anyway). I watched it on cp24.

Now they had as their guest "commentator" or whatever...Sue-Ann Levy!!

WTF???? Sue-Ann Levy???? She's so stupid and non-professional that her last name might as well be Ford. Now I don't watch cp24 any more than I read the Sun. But why would you invite someone to panel a show who is so laughably pro Ford??? I don't get it.

Straight comparison of Federal, State and Local budgets are utterly meaningless, unless you actually break it all down and do apple to apples comparison.

AoD

I'd guess that many drug dealers don't necessarily have mad I.T. skillz.

Do iPhones confuse you or something?

In any event, I think we will find out soon enough. There's no way Gawker will let it slip away if it's still out there, and we will be well within topping-up distance by this time tomorrow.

See below:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...nias-actual-debt-set-at-848b-could-pass-1-1t/

Perhaps he should go that route? I mean afterall, one does have to wonder why they didn't decide to sue from day one, given the gravity of the accusations. It will be MOST interesting to see what happens when all the evidence relating to the case is brought before the court. I for one can't wait.

AoD

You are including local and state debt plus future obligations (which no none can know the proper numbers).

Ontario has 260 billion of actual debt, plus a deficit of 15 billion. I have no idea how much debt the municipalities have, but I'm assuming they have debt. Multiply it by 3 (since California has 3 times the population) and you're at a very large number. And that doesn't include future liabilities (which no one knows the exact number).

Add in the fact California collects less tax revenue.

If you think Ontario is more fiscally sound than California, than I have some swamp land in Florida for you.

The most recent poll has him losing to practically any plausible opponent. One on one, he would lose to Chow, Tory, or Stinz. I don't see why that portends a landslide by Ford, especially since that poll was taken before all the current allegations.

Data is your friend. (Well, technically data "are" your friends, unless one is speaking of a Star Trek character...)

Polls should never be trusted completely. Always campaign as if you're behind your opponent.

As for Provincial deficit, it doesn't matter how much it is in comparison with other principalites, what matters is that there are steps taken to reduce the shortfall. I don't think the Liberals are treating the deficit seriously enough, but I have even less faith in the Conservatives (especially Hudak and his awful 'white papers') or the NDP. The Conservatives will seriously ruin the province and the city in their attempts to reduce income and spending, while the NDP is the NDP. Please bring back the Progressive Conservatives of the past, please.

Last edited:
In a CBC interview with the STAR's Kevin Donovan this morning - Donovan said that they are still in contact with the middle man but that the owner had "gone to ground" but Dononvan did not find that unusual saying that this has happened before during the months that they have been investigating this story. Donovan confirmed that the Star is "working to obtain the video".

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video...c5889-d341-4f43-a549-e9c2782db8d5%7c%7c%7c%7c

With less than $20,000 to go and 30 hours remaining I don't think it should be hard to reach the $200K goal and unless the owner of the video has been killed I would be surprised if he didn't turn up to claim his $200,000 in LEGAL money! All that the owner needs to do is pick up the phone and contact a good Lawyer on Bay street and they will take care of everything.

We're going to make the $200,000 either way, but you'd think that Gawker would want to report that to their audience.

I'm still a little concerned about Ford's confidence when he had his last press conference. I and a few other UT members were concerned that the may have destroyed the video. But now I'm starting to think that he may have gotten a little ahead of himself when he saw the Gawker report that the owner couldn't be contacted. Guess we'll find out in the coming hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back