144     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 688     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all of what has happened in the last 9 days at City Hall it does seem somewhat underwhelming but do not underestimate the significance of this piece and the damage(s) yet to unfold.

I think the significance here isn't the story, as much as what Doug's reaction to it will be. This is a man who doesn't like the press, and will not be happy about answering questions like this. He's not going to want to admit that he was a drug dealer, and if he does admit it, he can kiss his dreams of being premiere goodbye.

After Doug's protective thug performance this last week, I'm looking forward to seeing him in the spotlight this week. Good luck hard-staring your way out of this.

It's a sad day in Toronto politics when allegations arise that members of the mayor's inner circle have significant connections to drug trafficking and crime syndicates and we just shrug our shoulders.

Selling hash in the 1980s? Yup, underwhelming, in and of itself. But, big picture, it looks like this family has been involved with drugs for like 30 years! At least! Yikes! We can't have train wrecks like that running our city.

I think you're understating it a bit. Doug wasn't just "selling it" - he was buying massive quantities from major players and distributing it to the small guys. It takes serious connections and money to work at that level, so the important thing here is the questions that it raises, and the way it is dealt with by the Fords. If Doug was a main distributor, selling to dealers, what are/were his connections? How did his Rob/Randy fit in to the grand scheme of things? It's not much of a stretch to think that if Doug was dealing, Rob could have been selling. And I wonder if Doug Sr. had any role in Doug Jr.'s connections? And given the family business - has money laundering been taking place, now or then? THAT is a question we will probably never have an answer for.

Supposedly Donovan/Doolittle are working on a similarly-huge story for next week - anyone know more about that?

Personally, I'm looking forward to MetroMan's next update :D

Last edited:
The story itself is rather weak tea, being allegations of activity several decades ago. That said, it does seriously undermine Doug as a credible public spokesperson for his brother. I have to imagine that his various press conferences stating Rob's denials would have gone very differently if this information had been out there -- a former hash dealer denying his brother smokes crack is rather less convincing. I can't see Doug trying to play the role of public defender of his brother going forward, as he now is also tainted.

I also didn't think this was a "bombshell" in that I'd read rumors about Doug's drug-dealing (although not to this extent) for years, but it does open up even more questions about the Fords, their connections and their business.

Maybe Rob was "beaming" last night because the spotlight has moved to Doug? :)

I wonder how they're going to spin this as yet another unfounded attack by the Star?

I also didn't think this was a "bombshell" in that I'd read rumors about Doug's drug-dealing (although not to this extent) for years, but it does open up even more questions about the Fords, their connections and their business.

I wonder how they're going to spin this as yet another unfounded attack by the Star?

I wonder what stories the Sun is sitting on and trying to sweep under the rug?

These people are the exact sorts of people that guillotines were invented for. I just wish the electorate wasn't so apathetic about the crimes of their politicians.

Keep in mind that most people are completely out of the loop when it comes to municipal politics and local politicians. Rumours are one thing, but this is a huge report by a respected newspaper; it's definitely a big deal. Now Doug Ford will have to address these allegations head on - it wouldn't surprise me if he pulls the same stunt as his brother and just doesn't answer the questions.

I wonder what stories the Sun is sitting on and trying to sweep under the rug?
Given that there newsroom is all but non-existent these days, I don't think they have the resources for long-term investigative journalism. Look at how few (if any) staff the Toronto Sun puts overseas to cover a major story, compared to the Star and Globe. If Don Peat, Sue Ann Levy, or an unpaid intern didn't dig it up themselves, then I doubt there's anything.

Interesting morning reading in the Globe. My gosh, all FOUR Ford kids involved with drugs? At some point I have to start thinking that their parents failed miserably. Dianne Ford must be a terrible mother. Doug Ford Senior must have been a terrible father.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that most people are completely out of the loop when it comes to municipal politics and local politicians. Rumours are one thing, but this is a huge report by a respected newspaper; it's definitely a big deal. Now Doug Ford will have to address these allegations head on - it wouldn't surprise me if he pulls the same stunt as his brother and just doesn't answer the questions.
True enough re people being out of the loop.

I doubt Doug will address anything. It's not his style. Hey, maybe Rob will make a speech saying he can't speak for his brother, but ....

Does anyone else feel like they're living an episode of Boardwalk Empire?

Interesting morning reading in the Globe. My gosh, all FOUR Ford kids involved with drugs? At some point I have to start thinking that their parents failed miserably. Dianne Ford must be a terrible mother.

No offense, but blaming the mother and not the father? That's pretty sexist.

re: Doug Ford

He doesn't need to address anything - his supporters/sponsors might have some explaining to do however.

AoD

Last edited:
It's amazing how many seemingly normal non political people on twitter are confirming Doug Ford's drug past. "Oh everyone in Etobicoke knows that." "Yah my uncle told me all these stories about Doug in the 80s..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back