1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I have said before, at this point the video is pretty much irrelevant - his behaviour during this whole affair probably caused more damage than the actual act itself, in many ways.

AoD

That's a serious bummer. You'd think that Gawker would have thought this through a little better. If the campaign hits 200k but the video never materializes I'd be really mad at myself if I was the one who bought the iphone.

My understanding is everyone who donated to the fund gets there money back if the video is not obtained (or the $200K target is not reached).

The fact that the owner cannot be contacted should not deter people from continuing to donate to the fund. They have nothing to lose and the sooner the target is reached the better the chance that the owner will be flushed out. Unless the video owner is behind bars I cannot see why they would not step forward to claim this $200,000 in legal money.

No one gets their $ back if the $200k threshold is reached. Gawker said it would donate to a Canadian addiction not-for-profit.

You don't get your money back if the 200,000 are reached, but the money will instead be donated to a Canadian charity to help people with substance abuse.

Still, it's more important than ever to donate if you want this thing out. It's looking like it will be the only chance to make it public.

It's still moving but much slower than one would expect after the Mark Towhey story. The $10K donation earlier gave us a breather. $10K a day is completely doable but the dealer needs to come out of the woodwork and confirm he's still doing the deal.

Like I have said before, at this point the video is pretty much irrelevant - his behaviour during this whole affair probably caused more damage than the actual act itself, in many ways.

AoD

Ford will come out swinging on Sunday if there's no word about the video by then. He'll say that he was silent because the media was hounding him and he wanted to speak on his own terms. Look what happened with the Conflict of Interest case. When he won on appeal, it was business as usual. I'm seriously beginning to believe in "deals with the devil". These guys owe a lot of millennia in Hell from the looks of it.

MetroMan:

I would find it surprising if neither Gawker nor the Star has some sort of backup plan in place. Don't forget that the situation was "monitored" - triggering activity that would result in the sudden disappearance of the seller meant that there must be trails to be had, and that might be worse than the video itself.

I highly doubt that they'd be unscathed in the most optimistic of scenarios. At best it might consolidate his core, but I don't think that's where the "room for growth" is. The rest of the city will treat him like radioactive goods.

AoD

Last edited:
The Star's backup plan is that they're investigating a much bigger story. They're following leads that came from the video and that's what they wanted to break the story with, but Gawker got to it first. Still, in the court of public opinion, all this teasing about the video and then no video appearing will look like a total fabrication and Ford will easily spin it as being a conspiracy to screw him.

MetroMan:

I have a different take on it - people judge reactions and immediate behaviours more than the actual transgression, and he gave a pretty creepy performance the last few days. That's not something he can shake off easily. Plus, it is a bit too convenient when people disappear all of a sudden, especially when the goal for the dealers (i.e. getting the money") was so close to being achieved. It wasn't like they walked off with the money and didn't deliver - they simply disappeared.

And I wouldn't be surprised if an audio track surrendipitously surfaces...

AoD

Last edited:
Haha! That $10K donation just demonstrated the ridiculousness of the "Will it fund?" website:

J1PkS0C.png

According to that terribly flawed formula, we're going to hit $200K in an hour... haha

What is the URL for the Will it fund website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back