1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
News that Gawker hasn't been able to reach the owner of the video might deflate the campaign substantially. Hopefully they're following the campaign and will get in touch. There's also the possibility that The Star's may be in touch. They may not be willing to pay for the video but they'd be very happy for it to come out so they might facilitate the connection with Gawker. I'm a little concerned, but because of the large amount of money involved, I think the owner will come forward.

Update on Gawker. The owner of the video seems to be in hiding and isn't communicating with them anymore: http://gawker.com/rob-ford-crackstarter-update-509596078

edit: I gotta think this will slow down the pace of donations.

I wonder if the guy is being detained by police. Rob Ford knows his identity and you can be sure that he passed this information to his buddy Bill Blair. We don't know the immigration status of the drug dealer. For instance, what if there was a deportation warrant outstanding on this guy? Police could swoop in and arrest him on this basis. They could then obtain search warrants for the video that Bill Blair has suggested in interviews with the Toronto Star he considers to be illegal. There has to be a reason why Rob Ford thinks that he can just hunker down.

I wonder if the guy is being detained by police. Rob Ford knows his identity and you can be sure that he passed this information to his buddy Bill Blair. We don't know the immigration status of the drug dealer. For instance, what if there was a deportation warrant outstanding on this guy? Police could swoop in and arrest him on this basis. They could then obtain search warrants for the video that Bill Blair has suggested in interviews with the Toronto Star he considers to be illegal. There has to be a reason why Rob Ford thinks that he can just hunker down.

If RF told Bill Blair "the video guy is so-and-so, here's how/where you can find him, deal with him" or something along those lines, wouldn't he more or less be admitting to Blair that he did smoke crack? And wouldn't it be illegal for Blair to participate in what would essentially be a cover-up? I'm just thinking out loud, but the scenario you suggest seems to carry some heavy risks for Blair. But I suppose anything's possible.

Ford knows the dealers. Maybe he told them they better take care of the videomaker or he'll take everyone down with him?

News that Gawker hasn't been able to reach the owner of the video might deflate the campaign substantially. Hopefully they're following the campaign and will get in touch. There's also the possibility that The Star's may be in touch.

Doolittle tweeted that the Star can confirm that the owner has gone silent.

Robyn Doolittle says that the video contact has gone silent on TheStar's end too. If this video never makes it out, it's going to look like one big setup regardless of Ford's guilty behaviour.

CityNews is reporting that the video owner can't be tracked down: http://www.citynews.ca/2013/05/23/gawker-nears-200k-goal-for-ford-video-but-tapes-owners-cant-be-tracked-down/

...and with that, the campaign slowed to a crawl. The good news is that the $10,000 contribution came before the news that the seller has disappeared. That puts us within $42K of the goal with 4 entire days to go. That's $447 average/hr to maintain, a pace that's been maintained regardless of this news.

And of course all of Ford Nation hiding away for the past week has come out swinging that "this was all a lie! I told you!" Oh gawd...

That's a serious bummer. You'd think that Gawker would have thought this through a little better. If the campaign hits 200k but the video never materializes I'd be really mad at myself if I was the one who bought the iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back