276     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 408     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 536     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has nothing to do with vengeance. It's a matter of ridding our city, which we love, of toxic leadership. I wish him no personal harm (in fact I was somewhat sad to see him lose his coaching job), but I sure as hell don't want him to be our mayor. This video going public is our best chance at achieving that.

I'm with you. Like I've said before, I feel extremely sad about the situation Rob is in. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. And my heart broke when I heard about Don Bosco. Rob really does have a passion for football and it's sad to see him lose that. But he has demonstrated that he is unfit to lead Toronto. The city is prosperous and we need strong leadership at City Hall.

Last edited:
Meanwhile,

Rob Ford crack scandal: As the world gawks, Toronto police wait and watch

From The Star:

The world may be watching to see if Gawker reaches its crowd sourcing goal of $200,000 to purchase the video of the mayor apparently smoking crack cocaine, but so are Toronto police.

We “will closely monitor that and if any evidence of a criminal act arises from that, we’ll deal with that,” said Police Chief Bill Blair on Wednesday, when asked what would happen if the Gawker campaign was successful.

The U.S. website neared the 60 per cent mark mid-week, raising $117,222 of the total it says will guarantee the owners hand over the video they filmed which appears to show Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine. Gawker then promises to publish it.

The chief wouldn’t comment on the allegations that it is Ford in the video or say whether police were launching an investigation. “We’re closely monitoring everything that transpires and all the information that arises regarding that matter,” said Blair.

A photo supplied to the Star by the person selling the video appears to show Ford beside Anthony Smith, who was gunned down outside a Toronto night club two months ago.

When asked if he thought the city was taking a hit because of the bad press, Blair said “I’m the chief of police and I can only speak for the actions of the police service. And with respect to this matter, we’re keeping a close eye.”

Police board chair Alok Mukherjee said the allegations are “a serious matter. Like any other resident of Toronto, I would like to see it cleared up.”

Seems to me that the reason behind Rob Ford being silent is because he is exercising his right to remain silent. Especially, with the police watching on the sidelines.

Meanwhile,

Rob Ford crack scandal: As the world gawks, Toronto police wait and watch

From The Star:

Seems to me that the reason behind Rob Ford being silent is because he is exercising his right to remain silent. Especially, with the police watching on the sidelines.

Does anyone know what the typical sentences for cocaine possession and trafficking are?

For possession, he wouldn't get much for a first offense. Maybe as little as 6 months. But that's enough time for City Council to declare his seat vacant. But because he's a public figure, I don't imagine a judge would want to appear to be offering favouritism. Ford would be made an example of.

The video alone wouldn't lead to an arrest, but it would certainly start an investigation or advance an already ongoing one. Was Ford at any time influenced by criminals? Who did he buy from? Ford would be called in for questioning at the very least. The video will blow this wide open which is why it needs to come out.

EDIT: $122K at the time of this post. All bets are off. Who knows? It could hit $140K today at this rate. Thanks Doug.

Last edited:
For possession, he wouldn't get much for a first offense. Maybe as little as 6 months. But that's enough time for City Council to declare his seat vacant. But because he's a public figure, I don't imagine a judge would want to appear to be offering favouritism. Ford would be made an example of.

so to avoid looking like there was favouritism a judge would apply reverse favouritism and give a public figure a longer than normal sentence? That seems a bit peverse....no?

Aside from the fact that I don't think anyone (public figure or not) would be charged based on what we are told is in this video....if there were charges, do you think it would have any chance of making it to trial before the next election?

so to avoid looking like there was favouritism a judge would apply reverse favouritism and give a public figure a longer than normal sentence? That seems a bit peverse....no?

Aside from the fact that I don't think anyone (public figure or not) would be charged based on what we are told is in this video....if there were charges, do you think it would have any chance of making it to trial before the next election?

I don't think that applying the normal sentence (6 months according to MetroMan) would be favouritism.

Before the election? Yes. These types of charges aren't complex. The police either have evidence to charge somebody or they don't. I'm not saying that a judge would give Ford 10 years in the slammer for possession, but they won't be lenient (i.e. a fine or probation).

6 Months. Are you sure? I am sure assault and maybe even sexual assualt get less than that. I would think 1 week would be closer to the actual sentence. I also wonder if video evidence would be enough to convict. No doubt it would be the end politically, but would it be enough in court. If they find a pile of the stuff in his house and prove some type of trafficing, then I imagine the sentence would a few years.

The video alone wouldn't lead to an arrest, but it would certainly start an investigation or advance an already ongoing one. Was Ford at any time influenced by criminals? Who did he buy from? Ford would be called in for questioning at the very least. The video will blow this wide open which is why it needs to come out.

My criminal lawyer fiancée says that for a prosecution based on the video alone (assuming it were successful), he'd probably be looking at a fine and a criminal record. No jail time.

My criminal lawyer fiancée says that for a prosecution based on the video alone (assuming it were successful), he'd probably be looking at a fine and a criminal record. No jail time.

I have no legal background, but I would think that either you are guilty or not guilty and not sort of guilty. If the video is deemed flimsy evidence, he will be found not guilty. If the video is deemed adequate evidence, he will be treated similar to what would happen if he were caught by police.

I'll take your financée's opinion over my cloudy recollection of drug possession cases. I was just about to text my criminal lawyer friend but seems like you've taken care of that. Thanks.

EDIT: I texted him anyway. He says: Possession of cocaine or heroin: 6 months and/or $1,000 for the 1st offence. Subsequent offences: 1 year and/or $2,000. The maximum penalty available to a judge is 7 years. He said his worst day in court was when a first offender got just that: 7 years. Why? Because the prosecution demonstrated a history of use and the defendant showed no remorse, was uncooperative during the trial and had a smug air of invincibility. Sound familiar?

EDIT 2: Ford would be subject to aggravating circumstances. He's a public official in a position of trust. He has a history of substance abuse. His court history: while the verdict was overturned, his statements in his conflict of interest trial are part of the public record and can still be used against him. His "I don't know the law and don't care to learn it" would certainly be brought up.

Last edited:
I have no legal background, but I would think that either you are guilty or not guilty and not sort of guilty. If the video is deemed flimsy evidence, he will be found not guilty. If the video is deemed adequate evidence, he will be treated similar to what would happen if he were caught by police.

I'd assume the same thing, but she is a criminal lawyer. I assume she knows what she's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back