276     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 408     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 536     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Deebus, the $50,000 man contributed to Crackstarter 5hrs ago. Just not $50k, doesn't say how much. I guess we can say he won't donate that much though at this pace, it doesn't look like we'll need it.

I would guess that Ford sent a test sample (blood, urine, nail clipping, hair or whatever) with a trusted friend (i.e. brother) to the States for testing. Once the results of these tests are in, Rob Ford will determine his next strategy. Either deny, claim a look-a-like and offer to take a drug test OR admit guilt.

Gawker was approached by the Toronto Star in the hopes that they would purchase the video and claim ownership, with the Star avoiding any legal trouble

If that's true, that's disappointing to me, as it means the Star is more worried about appearances than actual journalistic ethics.

I wonder if the Star has any sort of actual agreement with Gawker, such as giving them exclusive first access to the video prior to Gawker publishing.

I'm still not that sure the 200,00 will be reached. It has taken us 5 days to get where we are and there's only 4 days left after tonight.

I said yesterday that if it reaches 125,000 tonight I think it'll go all the way.

I'm still not that sure the 200,00 will be reached. It has taken us 5 days to get where we are and there's only 4 days left after tonight.

I said yesterday that if it reaches 125,000 tonight I think it'll go all the way.

We're getting up to the point where it'll be so close that people who donated a little at the outset will probably come back to put it over the top, as well as anyone who had their doubts initially but were unprepared to take the small amount of time to kick in.

We've also got a bit of a viral element to it with, I would suspect, lots of donations coming in from the States from left-wingers who came across the story late via late night shows and various U.S. media.

Then we have Gawker, who can always figure out a way to settle with a dealer on an amount less than 200k, and anonymously kick in the rest themselves to secure the full 200k. Likewise, the seller himself could scrape together a few K to get the 180 or 190k.

I see this being a self-fulfilling prophecy from this point on now that the goal is slowly coming within reach.

I think the Star has staked so much on this that they would work very hard to find some way to anonymously funnel funds to the campaign if it looked like it was coming up short.

The Don Bosco thing must be stinging real bad for Rob. He's NOT having a good week. I wonder if it'll put him over the edge and just skip town so that he can get his fix away from the the Toronto media. Anybody work at the airport? Keep your eyes peeled...

There are 5 full days + the rest of today to go until Monday 23:59PM PT. The rest of today seems on track to hitting $125K then you have all of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and until the end of Monday + 3hrs (because of Pacific Time). That's just under $700/hr to meet the goal when it's been doing significantly more than that since the campaign started. My wild guess, without any unexpected big donations, with people home on the weekend, watching this go... I estimate that Saturday dinner time, it'll hit $200K. Let's not forget nobody's claimed the Keep the Crack Video iPhone for $10K perk.

Remember the virality we were looking for? It's there. Doug's statements have got Twitter going nuts right now. Everybody knows about the campaign now. So not only do I think it's going to make the target, it's probably going to exceed it. I wonder what Gawker will do with the remaining proceeds? Will the owner demand all of it? What about IndieGoGo's take if they just get $200k?

Last edited:
I find it bizarre that so many people on this thread are breathlessly monitoring the progress of a fund raising effort to reward some "dregs of society" individuals with $200,000 to provide the evidence they feel they need to destroy a man they don't like much. These people are hardly in a position to be delivering lectures on virtue, vengeance maybe but not virtue.

The Don Bosco thing must be stinging real bad for Rob. He's NOT having a good week. I wonder if it'll put him over the edge and just skip town so that he can get his fix away from the the Toronto media. Anybody work at the airport? Keep your eyes peeled...

Re: Crackstarter? Remember the virality we were looking for? It's there. Doug's statements have got Twitter going nuts right now. Everybody knows about the campaign now. Not only do I think it's going to make the target, it's probably going to exceed it. I wonder what Gawker will do with the remaining proceeds? Will the owner demand all of it? What about IndieGoGo's take if they just get $200k?

Why would anybody donate once it hits $200,000?

I find it bizarre that so many people on this thread are breathlessly monitoring the progress of a fund raising effort to reward some "dregs of society" individuals with $200,000 to provide the evidence they feel they need to destroy a man they don't like much. These people are hardly in a position to be delivering lectures on virtue, vengeance maybe but not virtue.

It has nothing to do with vengeance. It's a matter of ridding our city, which we love, of toxic leadership. I wish him no personal harm (in fact I was somewhat sad to see him lose his coaching job), but I sure as hell don't want him to be our mayor. This video going public is our best chance at achieving that.

This is straight consequentialism. I'll violate some principles if I feel it serves the greater good. Doesn't seem that bizarre to me, but I guess if you sympathize with the mayor you can find whatever moral system you need to justify your distaste, and define virtue in whatever way it suits your disposition.

Pretty loaded comment. E.g. you chose the word "reward". I don't think any of us breathless monitors did. "Reward" is just one way to see it. Another is "ponying up to obtain important information that cannot be obtained otherwise".

As for "destroying the man", Rob Ford is an adult and is responsible for his actions. He chose to become a public figure, thereby offering up his actions for public scrutiny. If he loses status or respect from the public because of his actions, that's the breaks.

And when did anybody deliver a lecture on virtue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back