110     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 864     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 987     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this isn't a Ford fam residence - it's got styrofoam ceiling tiles. It's decorated in a homey style, so not a hired hotel room. Just guessing, but possiblyat a retirement residence or similar?
Retirement residence gets my vote too - this place has that "institutional" vibe (acoustic tiles, brick, tab curtains, cheap 'n cheery Xmas décor...several oldsters etc.). Plus it wouldn't be a FoFam residence (or office) without those gi-normy, ubiquitous "Oriental" vases Sr. snagged from Ed's Warehouse, would it?

There appear to be 3 elderly women in the photo, so I'm also thinking retirement home. But Diane lives in her own home, does she have sisters? You'd think her house would be where the family gathers.

So this isn't a Ford fam residence - it's got styrofoam ceiling tiles. It's decorated in a homey style, so not a hired hotel room. Just guessing, but possiblyat a retirement residence or similar?
The framed picture of a plane on the right looks like it might be of a US P-40 Warhawk. I'm going with condo party room or Florida retirement residence.

So he couldn't go to any council meetings because cancer but he is at the airport, presumably going somewhere? When is his next chemo session starting?

Oh, wait. He is probably at the airport to welcome the Syrian refugees to Canada because he's so kind!
Not every random twit on twitter is a reliable source. Some people think Rob Ford and Phil Kessel look alike; some people use metaphors instead of similes (i.e. "Rob Ford" instead of "a dude that looks like Rob Ford"); some people just like to tweet nonsense.

Retirement residence gets my vote too - this place has that "institutional" vibe (acoustic tiles, brick, tab curtains, cheap 'n cheery Xmas décor...several oldsters etc.). Plus it wouldn't be a FoFam residence (or office) without those gi-normy, ubiquitous "Oriental" vases Sr. snagged from Ed's Warehouse, would it?

You don't see similarities to Diane's place?? the ceiling tiles and pot lights; the dark brown curtain rod and ivory tab hook curtains?

Rounded brick wall?
elxn4.jpg

I'm not gonna post all the pics; y'all can google image search "Rob Ford election night" yourselves. Maybe there's been some new furniture and redecorating (what else does Diane have to do all day?) but I'm thinking it's the same house, same room (maybe a different angle).

smh.

I know people who celebrate Christmas, complete with tree and turkey meal, in August because it's the only time they can get all their family together. I just had a family Christmas weekend for the same reason.
Exactly. I just had a get-together yesterday, my cousin and her American husband are over for a little while, they will be back in the U.S. on the 25th celebrating with his family (and where they're looking to buy a home).

What has happened to the quality of this thread??? Baseless tweets with people taking them as fact; lazy analysis or none at all; no instinct to do some checking before you post? We used to be sharper here.

Some of us are (perhaps naively) still looking for information here (not just a Rob Ford-bashing stress release). (And yeah, as my post quoting Pink Lucy points out: not every little thing the Ford family does is automatically wrong.). Instead we have to wade through so much sewage in hopes of finding a worthwhile nugget.

It's not a crime if this thread doesn't have a new post every damn day; if you have nothing useful to contribute... don't post.

What has happened to the quality of this thread??? Baseless tweets with people taking them as fact; lazy analysis or none at all; no instinct to do some checking before you post? We used to be sharper here.

Indeed. This was the same thread that gave its own creator the bum's rush for continuing to post about "chatter" and "imminent arrests". Now, it seems to be a haven for conspiracy theorists (let the Jaclyn Dawe thing go, people) and the people who cannot let go of their hatred for Ford.

Some of us came here because we were concerned by what was being done by the person running our city. But he's no longer mayor; he's now just one nagging, annoying voice of forty-four and many left when that change happened. Rationality went and let itself get outnumbered.

Daniel Dale has an analysis as to why Americans support Donald Trump, and I can't help but notice all the strong similarities to Ford supporters.
Trump does best with men age 45 to 64, with a high school diploma or less, making less than $50,000 per year. These are the very same people hurt worst by the global recession, slowest to experience the recovery, and most vulnerable to wage competition from unauthorized workers.

They are right-leaning people, mostly lower-income whites, who believe they have been betrayed by both sides of a political system rigged for the benefit of rich campaign contributors. The rich have gotten richer, the poor have gotten poorer, and the middle class is doing worse. You have a big angry electorate, and they’re going to have a lot of angry opinions.

“I think they’re all crooked,” says Bobby Steele, 52, a Marine veteran who works at a Tennessee supermarket. “I’m not that much of a religious man, but every day I hope that Trump gets elected. If nothing else, just to tear up the system.”

Marcos Garcia, 47, is an Iraq War veteran of Puerto Rican descent who voted Obama in 2008. First on his list of reasons for backing Trump: “He isn’t afraid to call out our politicians and our political system on the sham that it’s become.”

Ridicule them all you want, but like it or not these disenfranchised people in both Toronto and the US are not going away until the underlying social issues are addressed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/12/13/why-americans-support-donald-trump.html

Last edited:
Indeed. This was the same thread that gave its own creator the bum's rush for continuing to post about "chatter" and "imminent arrests". Now, it seems to be a haven for conspiracy theorists (let the Jaclyn Dawe thing go, people) and the people who cannot let go of their hatred for Ford.

Some of us came here because we were concerned by what was being done by the person running our city. But he's no longer mayor; he's now just one nagging, annoying voice of forty-four and many left when that change happened. Rationality went and let itself get outnumbered.

Though I think a lot of the energy here over the past few months has been fueled by the Towhey/Filion books and the dissection thereof...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back