920     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but you still won't get to see it.

Depends which media, no? There's nothing to stop foreign news outlets from publishing the vid outside of Canada, assuming they're willing to put up with whatever sanctions a judge decides to impose on them on Canadian soil. The courts would be smart block access to exhibits as long as possible if they want to avoid leaks. I won't be surprised if we end up seeing the crack video before the trial.

What I'm wondering is obviously the media are barred from reporting details but what is stopping a non-media citizen that attended the session to talk about what they saw on twitter, for example. Or is a hearing under a publication ban closed to the public? If it was open, I'm really regretting not attending today! Last night I looked up where it was and the courtroom number, fully intending to go.

Depends which media, no? There's nothing to stop foreign news outlets from publishing the vid outside of Canada, assuming they're willing to put up with whatever sanctions a judge decides to impose on them on Canadian soil. The courts would be smart block access to exhibits as long as possible if they want to avoid leaks. I won't be surprised if we end up seeing the crack video before the trial.

True on all fronts.

What I'm wondering is obviously the media are barred from reporting details but what is stopping a non-media citizen that attended the session to talk about what they saw on twitter, for example. Or is a hearing under a publication ban closed to the public? If it was open, I'm really regretting not attending today! Last night I looked up where it was and the courtroom number, fully intending to go.

It doesn't just apply to the media, it applies to everybody. You can attend, you just can't "broadcast or transmit" any of the evidence. That includes on urbantoronto!

A regular citizen is just as vulnerable to contempt of court as a media outlet. Publication bans apply to everyone, not just news outlets. Anyone can sit in on a prelim, but they can't talk about what they see/hear.

1 of 2 extortion charges against Lisi was dropped today after court received new information.
http://www.citynews.ca/2015/03/02/s...-extortion-trial-while-ford-heads-to-jamaica/

Lisi was initially charged with two counts of extortion for calls he allegedly made to Mohamed Siad and Liban Siyad in an attempt to retrieve the video.

Siad is the man who showed to tape to Toronto Star reporters.

The charge involving Siad was dropped on Monday after the court received new information.

The charge involving Siyad still stands.

I wonder what new information was received?

The Jamaica Gleaner has been following the Ford saga, so I wouldn't be surprised if they scoop everyone for a Rofo quote about the trial.

Picture it: A stringer for The Gleaner in Ocho Rios sneaks into the resort. Rofo, bakin' like a tater, hears a voice from the bushes. "Ya Mon! Over 'ere!"

Thinking it's ganja time, Rob eagerly trots over, and before he knows it, has gone on record, including his regrets for Bob Marley Day in Toronto.

the Radio-Canada link is now 404 not found, did they pull it? Haven't seen the crack video mentioned anywhere else (yet)?

I assume they pulled it. By broadcasting that the video was played, they were clearly breaching the publication ban.

Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
Many have tweeted at me asking how Lisi's lawyers getting paid. If I knew that, would definitely report it. Anything else just speculation.

That tie is going for lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back