2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 787     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but think that Tory's peeps would find benefit in having Ari removed from the debate too...

Counsellors have to resign to run for (re)election, and are not eligible for severance, section 1.8 of Counsellor's Handbook. I assume this includes the position of Mayor.

http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/city_clerks/city_council/files/pdf/handbook_ext.pdf

I saw this in section 1.8 of Counsellor's Handbook:

"Members who resign to seek election and are successful in being elected as a Member of Parliament or Member of Provincial Parliament"

What are you referring to? I see nothing about running for re-election as Councillor or Mayor. Do you have a quote we can take a look at?

1.8 Severance

Severance is paid to Members who retire, resign from office, are
not re-elected to office, or die during their term of office.
An exception is made for Members who resign to seek election
and are successful in being elected as a Member of Parliament
or Member of Provincial Parliament, in which case severance is
not paid. Severance is also not paid if the Member is convicted of
certain Criminal Code offences or if disqualified from holding
office.

Last edited:
I am listening to it now. I've been pressing 3 to ask a question, to no avail. In answer to a question about gun control, Mr. Ford stated that there's never been a killing by the owner of a legally-acquired gun. Guess he hasn't heard about Marc Lepine.

Backwater west of the Humber River

This. Even putting aside the crack pipe, the DUIs, sexism and racism, assault. Rob's voting against programs and funding for things like community centres, makes perfect sense. In the scumbag sense and Godfather model of politics that is. ...... This is Toronto, Canada, 2014. Not some fiefdom or backwater barony fer christs sake.

Small town Etobicoke: before amalgamation was probably like a backwater fiefdom and it is slow to change. I met someone who was on the Etobicoke council before amalgamation, and nothing would surprise me.

Counsellors have to resign to run for (re)election, and are not eligible for severance, section 1.8 of Counsellor's Handbook. I assume this includes the position of Mayor.

http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/city_clerks/city_council/files/pdf/handbook_ext.pdf

France's Nunziata registered for reelection in January and we know she didn't resign. Or Stintz. Same with Rob Ford. The need to resign only applies if the councillor is running for a provincial or federal seat. (See p 25). Adam Vaughan resigned to seek election and he will not receive severance but no one seeking reelection to city council did needs to resign and continues to be eligible for severance should they not be reelected.

France's Nunziata registered for reelection in January and we know she didn't resign. Or Stintz. Same with Rob Ford. The need to resign only applies if the councillor is running for a provincial or federal seat. (See p 25). Adam Vaughan resigned to seek election and he will not receive severance but no one seeking reelection to city council did needs to resign and continues to be eligible for severance should they not be reelected.

I could not find anything in Section 1.8 of the
hHandbook that said "Counsellors ( sic ) have to resign to run for (re)election, and are not eligible for severance".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back