241     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 664     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE@joe_wormington ...... Guess if u go back far enough we all r Jews[/QUOTE]
who's we? all those folks wandering north and east out of Africa?

I understand both points of view on this. Yes, technically racism can apply to more than the traditional white power structure in North America and European countries. The Palestinians and Jews, for instance, or Muslims and Hindus. But the danger of widening the definition beyond the most common usage, at least in our society, is that it's strength is lost and becomes like Doug's "People can be racist against little red apples" definition--essentially meaningless.

Basically, the technical definition of the word is broad, but it's usefulness, at least in our current society, is narrow.

Huh. Interesting way of putting it, in terms of practical usage. Trying to explain multiple sites of power that are context specific is....too nuanced to be effective at the broad level of public discourse, so this. Hadn't thought of it this way. Makes sense.

Bernie M. Farber @BernieFarber · 3h 3 hours ago

@joe_wormington pretty undeniable proof that Karla's grandparents claim to be Greek Orthodox. Guess if u go back far enough we all r Jews

Larry Weiss @LarryWeiss3 · 3h 3 hours ago

@BernieFarber Thanks Bernie for a definitive repudiation of #DougFord 's unbelievable assertion. Even more insulted than before. #topoli

That's a Warmington parody account, of course.

And remember Ford is claiming that Karla's maternal grandparents were *Orthodox* Jews - how many of them convert to Christianity? Must have been tough for them to have 2 daughters get married in Pentecostal churches!

Where and when did he claim that? As I said here yesterday, I think it is possible that Doug and Karla think that "orthodox" must mean Jewish, because someone once told one of them that those guys with the hats and long sideburns are Orthodox Jews.

It seems the Fords are digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole with this one. Deflecting claims of anti-Semitism by claiming your wife is Jewish is not doubling the wrong - it's squaring it.

AoD
It also shows a common characteristic in both Rob and Doug - the readiness to throw anyone under the bus if they think it will help defend their public persona.

Last edited:
It also shows a common characteristic in both Rob and Doug - the readiness to throw anyone under the bus if they think it will help defend their public persona.

I think they will find that doors will be closing because of this little episode - as if the Rudner case haven't taught them a lesson.

AoD

I'm seeing a lot of tweets where Doug is referring to accomplishments of "his administration." Somehow, just by being such an asshole that nobody wants to confront him, he's turned himself into the incumbent.

Marina Tronin @MarinaTronin
Ford nation dude behind me as Chow is talking: "Yeah you can have fun on bike lanes, in China"

More casual racism from Ford Nation.

Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
Question now from Grade 6 student about seeing behaviour at city hall that would not be acceptable at their school. Loud cheers and applause
Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
Tory says it starts with respect, the kind expected at every dinner table. Getting shouted at by Ford supporters.
Shawn Jeffords @Shawn_Jeffords
Tory talks about how he never heckled when he was at Queen's Park as he is heckled by Ford supporters. #TOpoli

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of tweets where Doug is referring to accomplishments of "his administration." Somehow, just by being such an asshole that nobody wants to confront him, he's turned himself into the incumbent.

I noticed that too. But hey, they've been a tag team act for so long -- Mario & Luigi -- that the public doesn't really care. The fact that crap councillor Doug has as much support as he does proves it.

As before, Genuine Ford Replacement Parts are interchangeable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back