396     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 871     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you, being right and all. So we're on the same page, what is racism called when someone other than a White person does it?

There is behavioural micro level racism and there is systemic macro racism. Privilege and power have always been held and maintained by rich white men. Those who hold power are the ones who shape the institutions and systems in which we interact. Thy shape our past and our future. Women and minorities, as well as First Nations people have been living under a society in which our histories have literally been wiped out and rewritten for us by men of power. Our day to day interactions is guided by the rules (hidden and written) in which we reside in and are influenced by. That is how I can say with a fact that racism is not applicable to white people. Not on a macro level and not in this society. Ditto sexism.

Where and when did he claim that? As I said here yesterday, I think it is possible that Doug and Karla think that "orthodox" must mean Jewish, because someone once told one of them that those guys with the hats and long sideburns are Orthodox Jews.
Agree!! I think this is quite likely (yikes!)

Marina Tronin @MarinaTronin · 36 mins 36 minutes ago
You guys Ford Nation is exactly as racist as you thought. That's not really an update, just my feelings. #TOpoli

Marina Tronin @MarinaTronin · 38 mins 38 minutes ago
Ford nation dude behind me as Chow is talking: "Yeah you can have fun on bike lanes, in China" #TOpoli

https://twitter.com/MarinaTronin

I was wondering about that as well. An old rumour for sure, but where there's smoke there's usually fire of some kind. With the FordBros it's likely to be a raging 1,000 acre tire fire so...

Yeah, I'm curious about that.
I want facts on the bomb scare

Good for you, being right and all. So we're on the same page, what is racism called when someone other than a White person does it?

It's usually called "prejudice" or "discrimination":

Prejudice is an irrational feeling of dislike for a person or group of persons, usually based on stereotype. Virtually everyone feels some sort of prejudice, whether it's for an ethnic group, or for a religious group, or for a type of person like blondes or fat people or tall people. The important thing is they just don't like them -- in short, prejudice is a feeling, a belief. You can be prejudiced, but still be a fair person if you're careful not to act on your irrational dislike.

Discrimination takes place the moment a person acts on prejudice. This describes those moments when one individual decides not to give another individual a job because of, say, their race or their religious orientation. Or even because of their looks (there's a lot of hiring discrimination against "unattractive" women, for example). You can discriminate, individually, against any person or group, if you're in a position of power over the person you want to discriminate against. White people can discriminate against black people, and black people can discriminate against white people if, for example, one is the interviewer and the other is the person being interviewed.

Racism, however, describes patterns of discrimination that are institutionalized as "normal" throughout an entire culture. It's based on an ideological belief that one "race" is somehow better than another "race". It's not one person discriminating at this point, but a whole population operating in a social structure that actually makes it difficult for a person not to discriminate.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/15/884649/-Why-there-s-no-such-thing-as-Reverse-Racism

Does anyone know what Doug said regarding Karla? Did he say her ancestors are Jewish and did he say how far back? All I've seen here is a comment on a parody account.

There is behavioural micro level racism and there is systemic macro racism. Privilege and power have always been held and maintained by rich white men. Those who hold power are the ones who shape the institutions and systems in which we interact. Thy shape our past and our future. Women and minorities, as well as First Nations people have been living under a society in which our histories have literally been wiped out and rewritten for us by men of power. Our day to day interactions is guided by the rules (hidden and written) in which we reside in and are influenced by. That is how I can say with a fact that racism is not applicable to white people. Not on a macro level and not in this society. Ditto sexism.

I was thinking more globally between other ethnic groups. But thank you.

Does anyone know what Doug said regarding Karla? Did he say her ancestors are Jewish and did he say how far back? All I've seen here is a comment on a parody account.

I thought first he referred to his wife being Jewish because his MIL is Jewish (backed up by his comm guy); revised tonight to say his wife family has Jewish roots (?) So far no one's found any Jewish background along the female lines.

Maybe it'd just me but that is one obscure reference. Link?

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/mike+the+mechanics/silent+running_20093553.html

Does anyone know what Doug said regarding Karla? Did he say her ancestors are Jewish and did he say how far back?

I saw it. Truly cringe worthy the way he treated the female Star reporter. I would have been fired if I spoke to anyone like he does.

"Doug tells CP24 just now that his wife is Jewish but does not practice the Jewish faith. Um...okay."
https://twitter.com/BTP1960/status/519626932069994496

He could have simply said that he heard something about Orthodox background and assumed it meant Jewish. Being as dumb as they are, I would have accepted that.

All this genealogy stuff got picked up by the Star. Looks like they cribbed from this forum.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._cast_on_doug_fords_claim_of_jewish_wife.html

If reporters are working off this forum then it means contributors are making a difference. She did reach out to a few posters via pm so it's not like it was a surprise. Not getting props is fine - last thing we need is a bunch of references to this site in newspaper articles to draw in the trolls.

It's usually called "prejudice" or "discrimination":

Prejudice is an irrational feeling of dislike for a person or group of persons, usually based on stereotype. Virtually everyone feels some sort of prejudice, whether it's for an ethnic group, or for a religious group, or for a type of person like blondes or fat people or tall people. The important thing is they just don't like them -- in short, prejudice is a feeling, a belief. You can be prejudiced, but still be a fair person if you're careful not to act on your irrational dislike.

Discrimination takes place the moment a person acts on prejudice. This describes those moments when one individual decides not to give another individual a job because of, say, their race or their religious orientation. Or even because of their looks (there's a lot of hiring discrimination against "unattractive" women, for example). You can discriminate, individually, against any person or group, if you're in a position of power over the person you want to discriminate against. White people can discriminate against black people, and black people can discriminate against white people if, for example, one is the interviewer and the other is the person being interviewed.

Racism, however, describes patterns of discrimination that are institutionalized as "normal" throughout an entire culture. It's based on an ideological belief that one "race" is somehow better than another "race". It's not one person discriminating at this point, but a whole population operating in a social structure that actually makes it difficult for a person not to discriminate.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/15/884649/-Why-there-s-no-such-thing-as-Reverse-Racism

...and thank you as well. That definition of racism is what I was trying to get at, There are examples of institutionalized discrimination all over the globe and not just by whites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back