News   Jul 04, 2024
 595     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 578     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Applies to all offices.

RF is Mayor until the midnight between Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.

If he is 'annointed' in Ward 2 the removal would apply to that. (As I read the Act, it is not limited to the particular office held by the offender at the time of the offence or of the finding that there was an offence. As I read it, the judge is to declare vacant the office held by the offender at the time of the finding that there was an offence.)

Ignorance and studpidity are not defences but might be raised to try to persuade the court to impose a lighter penalty (re the 7 year max). However, it has previously been found that RF is 'willfully ignorant' about COI and one would expect the same sort of finding for DF - especially re votes that took place after the finding that willful ignorance is shameful, not grounds for latitude.

Thanks for the analysis pud99, and others too. I can only read through so much legalese before my eyes starts to glaze over. I did remember reading something about Porter in that document as well. Anyhow, guess we'll see how this one plays out. If Ford skates away, yet again. I'll be buying shares in tinfoilery, because there really might be something to those crazy rumors of a judge in those fabled crack tapes.

In case you don't know, mansplaining is when a guy feels the need to explain something to women without consideration for whether they already know (or care) about the answer. It's meant to be a mild put-down of the stereotypical male superiority complex. The man will typically go into unnecessary details, which helps explain why the term rose to prominence in coastal American cities in the early 2000s.

I see what you did there :D

I can only hope that once he is elected, he'll be the moderate I think he thinks he really is instead of this parody of a right-wing clown. But if he appoints Kouvalis as his chief of staff like Ford did, we are all fucked.

Your hope that he'll govern as a moderate is no better than Tory pretending SmartTrack is . . . well, smart.

Vote for the person you want, not for the person you hope he (or preferably she) will become when elected.

Sorry . . . strategic voting gets me all riled up.

"Doug Ford warned Monday that the city will “crumble†unless he’s elected mayor...."

“I’m by far, and this is blowing my own horn, by far the best candidate out of the three ... it is not even a competition,†Ford said. “You know where I’m coming from, I have a proven track record and I can’t walk away and let this city crumble."

“It will go down the tube as sure as I’m sitting here on transit, on the budget, if God forbid, Olivia Chow or John Tory gets in — there is not a huge difference with them.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/06/doug-ford-distances-himself-from-mayors-scandals

"Doug Ford warned Monday that the city will “crumble” unless he’s elected mayor...."

“I’m by far, and this is blowing my own horn, by far the best candidate out of the three ... it is not even a competition,” Ford said. “You know where I’m coming from, I have a proven track record and I can’t walk away and let this city crumble."

“It will go down the tube as sure as I’m sitting here on transit, on the budget, if God forbid, Olivia Chow or John Tory gets in — there is not a huge difference with them.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/06/doug-ford-distances-himself-from-mayors-scandals
He's right about one thing. He has a proven track record.

Your hope that he'll govern as a moderate is no better than Tory pretending SmartTrack is . . . well, smart.

Vote for the person you want, not for the person you hope he (or preferably she) will become when elected.

Sorry . . . strategic voting gets me all riled up.

Make no mistake: I don't condone strategic voting, I have never voted strategically, and have no intention of doing so in this election. But right now it seems clear the election is Tory's to lose.

"Doug Ford warned Monday that the city will “crumble†unless he’s elected mayor...."

“I’m by far, and this is blowing my own horn, by far the best candidate out of the three ... it is not even a competition,†Ford said. “You know where I’m coming from, I have a proven track record and I can’t walk away and let this city crumble."

“It will go down the tube as sure as I’m sitting here on transit, on the budget, if God forbid, Olivia Chow or John Tory gets in — there is not a huge difference with them.â€

A snippet from that article made me wonder about something.

Although he denies allegations that he breached the municipal conflict of interest act by not disclosing possible conflicts between items at City Hall and his company, Deco Labels, Ford did commit to giving up his role at Deco’s Canadian operations if he’s elected mayor.

Now I don't have the business acumen of Doug or Rob Ford. But I wonder if Doug means he promises he will step down from Deco Toronto, but not necessarily Deco USA. Again I never built a business from the ground up like Doug, but isn't there ways where a company has another branch\subsidiary where in case of any catastrophe, the actual bulk of the assets are protected in that other branch\subsidiary?

A snippet from that article made me wonder about something.

Now I don't have the business acumen of Doug or Rob Ford. But I wonder if Doug means he promises he will step down from Deco Toronto, but not necessarily Deco USA. Again I never built a business from the ground up like Doug, but isn't there ways where a company has another branch\subsidiary where in case of any catastrophe, the actual bulk of the assets are protected in that other branch\subsidiary?

So basically Ford said "I will step down to avoid a conflict that I just said does not exist". It doesn't really matter - as long as he is a director or major shareholder he's liable under the MCOIA.

So basically Ford said "I will step down to avoid a conflict that I just said does not exist". It doesn't really matter - as long as he is a director or major shareholder he's liable under the MCOIA.

Even if Rob and Doug does a pinkie swear that they totally didn't know it was a conflict? That sounds absolutely biased! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back