News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
dt_to:

Well, nothing stopping thousands of queers from participating THAT event. It will blow up in his face very nicely if he try that stint.

AoD

So what manly excuse did gay-hating Rob Ford think up this year? Last year he had to go tour the Air Canada Centre. What did he do this year ... perhaps he had to check out on of Mammolitis Red Light schemes?

They have no credibility with the Canada Day parade idea considering their excuse for not attending the Pride parade. Yet I think it's a great idea because Canada Day celebrations should be bolder than the sedate events in the squares. I like that East York has a parade, but many people never heard about it, and it's not enough for the city. We need a parade that can be shown across Canada, a massive downtown parade with culture and spectacle. With that said, I'm not sold on the conservative aesthetic of a display of the armed forces. That could be a part of the parade, but it plays only a small part in Canada's ethos.

Interesting how at least 26 members of council, including the deputy mayor, can all attend the Pride flag raising but not the mayor nor his brother. I have yet to read a news report indicating what either of the Ford's committment was that prevented them from attending an event which attracted so many of their colleagues.

Councillor Shelley Carroll read the official proclamation in his stead on Monday.

“I, Mayor Rob Ford,†she read, prompting the crowd to boo the chief magistrate’s name. “On behalf of Toronto city council — of which I think we have quorum — do hereby proclaim June 22 to July 1 2012 as Pride week in the city of Toronto.â€

Indeed, at least 26 members of council, including members of the mayor’s executive, attended the event, in addition to Kathleen Wynne, Ontario minister of municipal affairs and housing, and NDP MPP Cheri DiNovo, who is a grand marshal of this year’s Pride Parade. Mayor Ford had said last week that he would not be at the flag raising because of a previous commitments. Councillor Doug Ford also said Monday morning he had no plans to attend, but did not explain why. The mayor has said he will not be at the Pride Parade because it lands on the Canada Day long weekend, which he usually spends with his family at the cottage.

The mayor’s office did not immediately provide details on where the mayor was during the flag raising.

Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday showed up. “I think it’s good for us to show our support for any events that are going on in the city where we can,†said Mr. Holyday.

He dismissed the boos directed at the mayor as just another part of being a politician. “I wouldn’t say he’s turned his back on [Pride]. There’s a lot of events that the mayor doesn’t attend because he simply can’t be at all places at the same time. A lot of people read more into this there, I think.†Mr. Holyday noted that the mayor attended a flag raising last month marking international day against homophobia and transphobia, which should show eople that “he doesn’t shun anybody.â€

Interesting how at least 26 members of council, including the deputy mayor, can all attend the Pride flag raising but not the mayor nor his brother. I have yet to read a news report indicating what either of the Ford's committment was that prevented them from attending an event which attracted so many of their colleagues.

After missing last year's flag raising you'd think his people would have penciled in this years event. I was sure that there was no way he could avoid this two years in a row, but I was wrong and I'm really p*ssed off about it. The Globe was not very friendly about his absence -

"Councillor Janet Davis, whose son is gay, chastised the mayor for skipping the formal kick-off to one of Toronto’s biggest celebrations.

“He should be here,” Ms. Davis said. “He should be here to raise this flag, read the proclamation and he should be at the parade. And if he’s not, he owes an explanation to this community and to the rest of council and to the people of the city.”

Even Mr. Holyday, the deputy mayor, said it would have been “appropriate,” for his boss to attend the ceremony on City Hall’s green roof, immediately outside his office.

“If it fits his schedule I think it would have been appropriate, but I don’t know where he is today,” Mr. Holyday said, adding the mayor’s office had not asked him to go to the event in Mr. Ford’s stead.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/rob-ford-a-no-show-at-pride-flag-raising/article4367971/

Fords discuss Canada Day parade on radio show.

Meanwhile, the Fords were absent at the Pride Week flag raising.

Seriously, drop it already. For goodness sakes. Why is there such an obsession with Mayor Ford not attending the pride parade? Get over your pompous selves and move on. And why is it that pride this year falls on Canada Day? Is there such narcissism among some gay people that they need to steal the spotlight from our national day of celebration? This nagging on about the mayor's disinterest with the parade has gone beyond o.c.d. tendencies. Him disagreeing with the parade doesn't mean he hates homosexuals. Some of you guys have such tunnel vision. I feel bad for modest homosexuals, who also happen to be indifferent towards the parade. Unfortunately, they're lumped in with the stereotypical flamboyant loud mouths. I guess they're not proud of their sexuality, right, because they don't flaunt it?

Last edited:
So what manly excuse did gay-hating Rob Ford think up this year? Last year he had to go tour the Air Canada Centre. What did he do this year ... perhaps he had to check out on of Mammolitis Red Light schemes?

Perhaps, what he chooses to do with his time isn't your business? No amount of semantics you throw his way will put you in the right. He isn't legally obligated to attend pride events.

Perhaps, what he chooses to do with his time isn't your business? No amount of semantics you throw his way will put you in the right. He isn't legally obligated to attend pride events.

as mayor, it's the publics time, hence, it is everyone's business.

and it's part of his mayoral duties:

http://www.toronto.ca/civic-engagement/learning-material/governance.htm#mayor

The Mayor

The role of the Mayor as chief executive officer is to:

• uphold and promote the purposes of the City
  • promote public involvement in the City's activities
  • act as the representative of the City both within and outside the City, and promote the City locally, nationally and internationally; and
  • participate in and foster activities that enhance the economic, social and environmental well being of the City and its residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back